Join our zoo community

UK Collections By Public Transport: A Guide

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by TeaLovingDave, 13 Dec 2013.

1. bongorob

bongorob Well-Known Member 15+ year member

2. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

re: Port Lympne
    Although the bus stops going into the park well before closing, it still stops on the road outside the park. At least it did the two times I have been there. It is about a mile walk through the expansive grass drive from the park entrance to the main road, but still shorter than the route you suggested.

3. Shorts

Shorts Well-Known Member 10+ year member

:eek: Yikes, are you distantly related to Shackleton?:)

4. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Not so far as my family history research has shown ;)

5. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I think Selly Oak is a shorter distance but it's not that much difference really, ether way this doesn't bother me because I just use the buses! :p

6. SHAVINGTONZOO

SHAVINGTONZOO Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I feel a new thread coming on:

What's the furthest you've walked/ cycled/ etc to reach a collection?

I once cycled Atherstone - Twycross, returning to Polesworth.

(And I am no Bradley Wiggins!)

7. TeaLovingDave

Most done for one collection - 10.5 miles for Hamerton Zoo (1 mile walking from my house to Darlington railway station, 0.25 miles from Peterborough railway station to the bus station, 4 miles walking from Alconbury Weston to Hamerton Zoo, 4 miles walking back from the zoo, 0.25 miles walking back from the bus station, 1 mile walking back home)

Most done in a single day of multiple collections - 7.4 miles on the final day of my trip to the southwest, when I did Living Coasts and Shaldon (1 mile walking from the Premier Inn in Newton Abbot to Newton Abbot railway station, 1.1 miles walking from Torquay railway station to Living Coasts, 1.1 miles walking back from Living Coasts, 1.6 miles walking from Teignmouth railway station to Shaldon, 1.6 miles walking back from Shaldon, 1 mile walking home from Darlington railway station)

Weirdly, I was more tired after the latter of those two days - probably because I had been walking more often during the day, even though I had walked less distance overall.

8. TeaLovingDave

That would be 12.5 miles in total then.

9. Parrotsandrew

Parrotsandrew Well-Known Member

Hear, hear. For years I have wondered why the zoo does not recommend travelling to Tipton.

10. Parrotsandrew

If you should be travelling by bus from another North Wales resort (in May I stayed in Llandudno for my four days at the zoo) get off at West End (Kings Road) and the zoo is a fairly short walk up the hill. The bus service was excellent - every 12 minutes Monday to Saturday and quite regular on Sunday.

11. Parrotsandrew

I visited Twycross twice in 1996, travelling from Bolton. On the first occasion I was planning to travel to Polesworth and then walk but my train was late into Tamworth and I missed the connection. For some reason I decided I'd walk to Polesworth anyway and take it from there. It took me 3 hours to reach the zoo. Heading back I set off to walk what appeared to be a quicker route and eventually managed to catch a bus along the way. The next time I walked via Newton Regis, a very pretty village I had encountered on the way back previously, and it took a mere 2 hours to reach the zoo.

Walking from Crewkerne to Cricket St. Thomas was not much fun either!

12. Devi

Devi Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I think a lot of these have easier routes, for BNC, Dudley and Paignton there are buses that stop pretty much outside the gates, I think most zoos have this these days.

13. Jordan-Jaguar97

Jordan-Jaguar97 Well-Known Member

Blackpool normally change to Summer time opening times around April/May time. I visit quite a lot however it's very nice in Winter too.

14. callum

callum Well-Known Member

although it is not open yet, the RSCC is not far away at all from sandwich station.

15. bongorob

bongorob Well-Known Member 15+ year member

16. volvox

volvox Well-Known Member

All this walking and cycling is jolly good but for those less energetic (or with children/pushchairs) you haven't mentioned the 274 bus which will drop you a couple of minutes from London Zoo's entrance. It goes from Baker Street (and beyond) from the west and Camden Town or Angel from the east, costs very little on your oyster card, and the relevant stop is clearly announced on the loudspeaker (I know people worry about getting off at the wrong stop on buses!).

17. TeaLovingDave

Put quite simply, I did not know about that bus :p mostly due to the fact that the aforementioned "Camden Town is in Zone 2 whilst most of the major railway stations are in Zone 1, so the Tube is pricier" thing means I have never had cause to learn about it.

Good to know though.

At some point I intend to edit various entries with the improvements and alternate suggestions people have made, so anyone else with suggestions feel free to post!

18. lamna

lamna Well-Known Member

Does anyone know how I would get from Temple Meads to the Cribb's Causeway?

I'm pretty sure I can walk to The Wild Place from there. Is it the number 1?

19. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

You could walk it from there but some of the roads you would have to cross are pretty busy with no pedastrian crossing on them!

20. Crowthorne

Crowthorne Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

It's possible to get the X31 bus to ZSL Whipsnade from Luton Train station (on the main Brighton-London St. Pancras-Bedford/Leicester/Sheffield line). It goes via Dunstable and Hemel Hempstead, but buses to the zoo only call there every two hours. I believe the buses run every hour in the high season, but don’t quote me on that. I can’t say how good the service is though as I’ve not yet tried it out yet, but hope to soon.

http://www.intalink.org.uk/Timetables/tt/X31_A_ATG.PDF