Join our zoo community

UK Collections By Public Transport: A Guide

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by TeaLovingDave, 13 Dec 2013.

1. Tim May

Tim May Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

I normally travel to Whipsnade via this bus seven or eight times annually; generally I have found this bus service very reliable.

However, unless the timetable has been changed recently, buses to the zoo only run two-hourly even in high season. It should also be noted that, unfortunately, this bus does not operate on Sundays or Bank Holidays.

I normally board the bus outside Hemel Hempstead railway station; the journey from Hemel Hempstead to Whipsnade goes through some very attractive countryside making a much more pleasant bus ride than travelling in the other direction from Luton to Whipsade.

2. Crowthorne

Crowthorne Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

That's good to hear its a reliable service. Gives me confidence for when I finally try it :)

The more regular high-season timetable was something they advertised in spring last year in the local paper (the Luton News), but I might have remembered wrong!

3. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Marwell

Nice easy one during peak season. Get the train to Eastleigh Train station (about 5 miles from the park) and there is a shuttle bus that operates during weekends, bank and school holidays between 5th April and 31st August.

It leaves from the bus stop immediately outside the station and returns there several times a day (timetable is in the link below) There is also a Travel lodge across the road from the station which is convenient to stay in if travelling from afar

Marwell Wildlife: Planning Your Visit: Directions

4. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Unfortunately, according to a letter by Mark Pilgrim enclosed with the latest Z Magazine, and despite what is described in the letter as increasing popularity of the entrance, the above-mentioned pedestrian entrance is to be closed from March 31 2014 for the following three reasons:

1) "As we are starting work on our Islands project"
    2) "out of consideration for our neighbours on Caughall Road"
    3) "reasons of health and safety"

As the building site for the Islands project is quite some distance from said entrance - the main entrance is actually closer - and the pedestrian entrance has been used without issue for many years, I rather suspect the second reason is the closest to the truth. Does anyone know if the zoo has been having complaints about foot traffic along Caughall Road?

This, of course, forces anyone reliant on public transport to pay for a bus to take them to the zoo, as I rather doubt the safety of walking to the main entrance!

5. bongorob

bongorob Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I do not see how any of those reasons are valid. It's not as if thousands of pedestrians walked to the zoo en mass, if the residents do not people walking past their property then they have the option to move.

The main entrance can be accessed via Flag Lane North which is an option for people who used to walk along Caughall Road.

Walking along the A41 to the roundabout and then past the offshow rhinos is dangerous now that the zoo has replaced the grass verge with anther 'weed bed'

6. TeaLovingDave

Ah excellent - was unaware of this fact. Let us hope this access is maintained!

7. bongorob

They cannot close it, it is a bridal path and part of the National Cycle Route.

8. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Interesting typo ;) Wouldn't the confetti make a mess?

Alan

Last edited: 6 Mar 2014
    OG87 likes this.
  9. bongorob

Hehe, it is a bridle path, for horse riders.

10. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

Reading the letter, I get the feeling closing the pedestrian entrance and keeping visitors off Caughall Road was a quid pro quo sweetener for local residents concerned by the increase in traffic for 'Islands'. Just my feeling. It's a shame, but the walk via Flag Lane is not too much longer.

11. bongorob

12. TeaLovingDave

13. Indlovu

Indlovu Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Another option from Chester Railway station is the Stagecoach service which stops at Upton Park and Ride, which is adjacent to the zoo car park. It's pretty reasonable at £2 adult return.

14. bongorob

Pedestrian entrance is now closed, visitors need to walk along Flag Lane to the main entrance.

15. Indlovu

Indlovu Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I may have named the wrong park and ride in that case - this one stops by the main entrance, it's the one with the overused reticulated python graphic on it.

16. TeaLovingDave

The park and ride carpark is opposite the main entrance car park, so this is not a factor :)

17. bongorob

No, I confused things. There is only one Park and Ride and that has a signposted path to the zoo entrance.

visitors who used to walk to the pedestrian gate now have to use Flag Lane, sometimgs being rewarded with a glimpse of babirusa, onager, warty pig, tapir etc on the way.

18. Wigwam

Wigwam Member

Anyone got any public transport info for Twycross? Thanks

19. SHAVINGTONZOO

SHAVINGTONZOO Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Very very difficult!

The only time I did it by public transport was train to Atherstone then by bicycle. Very pleasant, but tiring!

20. crested seriema

crested seriema Active Member

There are buses two hourly from Nuneaton,Atherstone and Ashby to Twycross Zoo,I think it is Service 7,.