Join our zoo community

UK Collections By Public Transport: A Guide

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by TeaLovingDave, 13 Dec 2013.

1. Crowthorne

Crowthorne Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

2. JamesB

JamesB Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Monkey Haven, Isle of Wight

Located on the Isle of Wight (accessible by a number of ferries: passenger ferry from Portsmouth Hard to Ryde Pier, Hovercraft from Portsmouth to Ryde and Red Funnel ferries from Southampton to East Cowes). To get to Monkey Haven its easiest to arrive at Ryde. The bus station is a short walk down the pier (or catch the train for one stop). At the bus station you will want to catch the number 9 bus (going Staplers Lane direction, ask the driver if not sure!) It will cost about £3.50 for a single, returns are unavailable. The stop for the Monkey Haven is on Staplers Road, a long country road, the stop is after the Butterfly World place, so look out for that and then alight on the next stop, Monkey Haven is visible from the road! The bus stop back is located on the other side of the road, easy to find.

3. Crowthorne

Wingham Wildlife Park

There is a direct bus service from Canterbury Bus Station to Wingham Wildlife Park, take the Diamond Route 13 or 13A. The buses leave the bus station roughly every half an hour, from bay D3. The timetable can be found here: traveline south and east

The journey should take around 15-20 minutes. Stay on the bus through the villages of Littlebourne and Wingham. Once the bus has passed through Wingham you will be on a long, straight, fast country road; this is when you should ring the bell to stop (I accidentally rang too soon and got off in the outskirts of Wingham. Thankfully, it was only a 10 minute walk to the Park from Wingham village, along the main road which, although it is very fast, with many lorries, does have a pedestrian footpath. Handy to know!)

The village of Littlebourne, through which the bus passes, is very close to Howletts, around a 15 minute walk. Might give that a go next time!

4. Crowthorne

Just thought I'd point everyone to the website Rome2rio: discover how to get anywhere I it use a lot to plan the basic outline of journeys by public transport before getting into detail with other sources (such as National Rail Enquiries). It is very effective, with up to date information, and can generally find quite specific locations (such as zoos!). It also covers pretty much the whole world; for example, I've been using it to look at public transport travel to Europe.

OG87 and Arizona Docent like this.
  5. Adrian k

Adrian k Well-Known Member

Wild Zoological Park -

Train to Wolverhampton

then 255 to Merry hill

Getting off at Staffordshire golf club on the Bridgenorth rd

It's approx. 20 minute walk

From Birmingham (Train) 0ff at New Street turn right and follow path past first 4 way junction come to second 4 way junction and turn left past Mcdonalds and Jessops through the church ground and the bus stops are to both the left and right as you leave the grounds.

walk to Colmore rd get bus 141 to Merry Hill

then 255 to Wolverhampton then as above.

6. SHAVINGTONZOO

SHAVINGTONZOO Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Birmingham Nature Centre

Not sure if this has already been mentioned :

From Birmingham New Street railway station.

Leave by the main entrance, cross the road (toward Debenhams). Just to the left there's a bus stop for services 45 & 47 (approx. every 6 minutes). Will drop you at the entrance!

Be aware that the bus company has an exact fare policy (no change given). Since the flat fare is £2.30 best use the Day Ranger - £4.40, or £4 off-peak.

7. bongorob

bongorob Well-Known Member 15+ year member

changes to Bristol zoo buses from 4th September 2016

Service 8 (Bristol Temple Meads to Clifton & Bristol Zoo): Service 8 buses will run along a revised route in Clifton more frequently than now at every 10 minutes Monday – Saturday, every 30 minutes during every evening and every 15 minutes during the day on Sundays and Public Holidays. Specifically, they will operate between Bristol Temple Meads, the City Centre and Park Street and Clifton, with a loop from Clifton Christchurch via Pembroke Road and Bristol Zoo. Buses will show service number 8 in both directions.
    Read more at Major changes to bus routes in the Bristol area | Bristol Post

8. AdrianW1963

AdrianW1963 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

RODBASTON - ANIMAL ZONE

From Stafford Rail Station walk straight over the road to the bus stops, the second stop is the one for the 54 service which drops off at the bottom of the driveway to the college walk up the drive to the end and the entrance is on the right hand side.
    Please note the bus service is a hourly service and leaves Stafford at around half past the hour and returns around 40 minutes past the hour or 20 too the hour..

9. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Has anyone done Hoo Farm by public transport? Everyone I know who has visited has done by car and i just wanted to know how close I can get by train or bus?

Their website isn't the best... :rolleyes:

10. bongorob

bongorob Well-Known Member 15+ year member

stations for Hoo Farm

Oakengates Railway Station 2.61 Miles
    Wellington (Shropshire) Railway Station 3.23 Miles
    Telford Central Railway Station 3.51 Miles
    Shifnal Railway Station 5.73 Miles

I can't find any bus service to the collection.

11. AdrianW1963

HOO FARM DIRECTIONS BY PUBLIC TRANSPORT -

Train to Telford Central then walk to Telford town centre Telford Central

Get bus 5 to Stafford Town Centre getting off at Post office along Wellington Rd

Then walk towards Donnington Wood Way turn right towards Island

Take the second turning on the right Humber Lane

Take second on the right then walk around the road and take first on the right this will take you to the main entrance

Be aware you will be walking for around 45 minutes from bus stop to entrance of collection

12. MagpieGoose

MagpieGoose Well-Known Member 5+ year member

It's quite hard via. public transport due to the fact it is down some country roads. Wellington Train Station is probably the closest. You could go from Birmingham to Wellington. A taxi from Wellington would be your best option. In my opinion driving would be the best option due to the fact it is not the most accessible place by public transport.

13. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Thanks to all for the replies and information, I just knew it was going to be a long walk! Looks like I shall have to do this one without the family!

I'm just glad no-one found a direct bus that I'd missed. :p

14. Indlovu

Indlovu Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Linton Zoo

The Stagecoach Line 13 bus stops at both Drummer Street bus station in Cambridge city centre and the Cambridge Botanic Gardens, which are around 6 minutes' walk from Cambridge railway station (handy if you wanted to do Shepreth on the same day). Get off at Linton Police Houses, and it's just under 10 minutes' walk to the zoo from there.

Crowthorne likes this.
  15. North Entrance

North Entrance Well-Known Member 10+ year member

CHESTER ZOO.
    *** Please be aware that the Pedestrian Entrance on Caughall Road is now CLOSED. Available only for functions at Oakfield House and as a staff entrance.

**Update on bus service to the zoo. In addition to the number 1, the Stagecoach X8 express service [limited stop] Liverpool to Chester / Chester to Liverpool service stops at the Main entrance to Chester Zoo. Catch this bus from Sir Thomas Street, Liverpool City Centre, or from the Chester Bus Exchange or from Chester Railway Station. :0)

16. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

This has already been discussed in this thread, back when the entrance was closed, as you can see here.

17. Eric

Eric Well-Known Member 5+ year member

**There ARE buses to/from the zoo on sundays (75/75a) but ONLY EVERY 2HRS,and can be unreliable.Often run late.
    COLECHESTER TOWN station is closed on Sundays

18. AdrianW1963

I would like to make people who get public transport aware that many bus routes will be changing in the new year as the licencing of new routes takes place some will be removed and others added so some of the previous information may need to be edited.
    Train times may also be updated along with some re-routing going on their as well due HS2.

19. SHAVINGTONZOO

SHAVINGTONZOO Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Not quite sure I understand this post - is it in relation to a specific place or more general?

Bus services can change at short notice (56 days notice I think) at any time of year, so always check any bus details beforehand - especially if you're travelling a long way. Train services generally change in December (main revision) and May each year. Next major changes 10 December 2017. Not sure of the relevance of HS2.

20. zooboy

zooboy Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Wild Place
    Yes, the No.1 (to Cribbs Causeway) goes from Temple Meads and a number of stops in Bristol's city centre daily, and the No.2 is an alternative route too and both routes are fairly frequent. Alight at Catbrain Lane (Lysander Road) which is close to an industrial estate. There are no local signs to the zoo at the bus stop, but simply walk back along the pavement from where the bus had come from, cross the main road (A4018) at the roundabout and turn right and follow the footpath which has a cycle path that runs parallel to it. At one point the cycle-path turns right to cross the main road - don't cross but continue on the footpath. You will then cross the slip road (pedestrian crossing traffic lights) to the motorway, go under the motorway bridge, cross the other slip road and Wild Place is a short distance on the left. There is a map on the Wild Place website, which also suggests that it is a safe and easy route on a pedestrian path. But as it does involve crossing the - at times very busy - A4018 it might be less easy with young children. Depending where you catch the bus, the transport takes about an hour and the walk from the stop 15 minutes.