Join our zoo community

National Marine Aquarium UK first breeding of......

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by kiang, 15 Aug 2016.

1. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

2. Giant Panda

Giant Panda Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The aquarium's much-loved loggerhead turtle, Snorkel, has died. She will be missed.

3. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I had a disappointing visit to the NMA yesterday. I got the impression that the lighting on some of the tanks was rather dim, unless my old eyes were deceiving me, which made me wonder if some of the bulbs and tubes are getting past their best. I know it's a quiet time of the year, but quite a lot of the exhibits had dirty or marked glass, were wrongly labelled or had no labels at all. Worse still, one of the dogfish hatchlings was dead at the back of the tank (and it didn't look freshly dead either). I also note that Snorkel the turtle still has her page on the website, see post above, which looks careless and indeed uncaring.
    I hope this is a purely temporary situation, but some extra effort may be needed to put the NMA on track for 2017.

4. bongorob

bongorob Well-Known Member 15+ year member

normal service for most aquariums.

My only visit was in 1998 when a member of staff rudely accused me of using flash to photograph a sea dragon, which I had not done. I tried a long exposure but it did not work. Luckily other visitors pointed out that someone had used a flash but I was not the culprit, at which point grumpy keeper walked off without offering any apology.