Join our zoo community

UK hyenas and viverrids

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by lamna, 11 Feb 2014.

1. lamna

lamna Well-Known Member

I've been watching the excellent BBC documentary The Velvet Claw and it's really gotten me interested in carnivores again.

Can anyone recommend good places to see hyenas, viverrids and some of the more interesting mustelids, mongooses and raccoons.

I've seen plenty of otters, red pandas and meerkats but I can't think of the last time I saw a civet or genet.

I know the BNC has a bintrong, going to see that as soon as the weather is marginally less miserable.

2. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Civets and genets, regrettably, are few and far between these days.

But here goes.....

Asian Palm Civet (Paradoxurus hermaphroditus) is held by a smattering of smaller collections, mostly rescue centres and collections which have received animals from private hands.

Rare Species Conservation Centre has a breeding population of Banded Palm Civet (Hemigalus derbyanus) last anyone heard - if they do indeed re-open this year as planned I rather hope they will be onshow!

About eight collections spread quite evenly around the UK have non-subspecific Binturong (Arctictis binturong) - by some distance the easiest viverrid to see in the UK.

Common Genet (Genetta genetta) are all but gone in the UK - only two collections in Scotland are listed for the species now on Zootierliste, although I believe one or two tiny collections which do not have entries on the site may still have the species.

Two collections - Drusillas and Exmoor - have pure Indochinese Binturong (Arctictis binturong albifrons), these being the only onshow examples of subspecific Binturong in the UK at present. Another subspecies, the Palawan Binturong (Arctictis binturong whitei), is found at Belfast and RSCC, but neither collection has the species onshow.

Three collections in the south of England - Newquay, Shaldon and Thrigby Hall - hold the Owston's Banded Palm Civet (Chrotogale owstoni) - a very attractive species indeed. Newquay breed the species quite regularly.

A handful of other species, including Malayan Civet, Cape Genet, Feline Genet and Pardine Genet, are only found in private hands within the UK.

3. TeaLovingDave

As far as hyena go, currently all species are found in the UK but none are in massive numbers.

As far as I know, Twycross still keep a single female Arabian Striped Hyena (Hyaena hyaena sultana) - although I do not imagine it will be around much longer.

Port Lympne keeps an ageing pair of Brown Hyena (Parahyaena brunnea) offshow - the only examples of the species within the UK. If you really want to see the species, it *might* be possible to get access to see the animals when you visit if you phone ahead a week or so beforehand - search in the forum archives for the experiences of myself and Bwassa, both of whom have successfully attempted this in the past; however, it it is not a sure thing.

Two collections in the UK currently hold the Eastern Aardwolf (Proteles cristata septentrionalis) - Hamerton and RSCC, although for obvious reasons it can only be seen at the former collection at the time of posting. This species is very shy and nocturnal, and as such is the trickiest to see of those species which are onshow. Hamerton also holds two ageing male Southern Aardwolf (Proteles cristata cristata), the last examples of the subspecies in captivity anywhere outside the native range. These are actually a little bolder and more diurnal than their cousins, but as they are getting on in years I recommend you visit sooner rather than later!

The only collection holding Spotted Hyena (Crocuta crocuta) is Colchester - however, they are very active and very visible, and feeding times are well-advertised; as such they are the easiest of the species to see.

Finally, there are a small number of non-subspecific Striped Hyena (Hyaena hyaena) in the UK, at Africa Alive and Heythrop. Outside of open days for the latter, and assuming the Arabian at Twycross will not stick around for long (another individual having already left the collection for the continent), the collection in Suffolk will therefore soon be the only location one can see the species at in the UK, barring new holdings.

4. lamna

lamna Well-Known Member

A pity it's the least civet-y. I do look forward to seeing one soon at the BNC though.

Thanks for the slightly depressing list. I will have to get down to Colchester and the South West at some point.

5. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

To be fair to Twycross, they started with two females, who then had to be separated (which the exhibit there is not really suitable for). I'm sure this was why one of the females departed.

Other than general Twycross unpredictability (which could affect pretty much any species beyond the great apes), I'm not aware of any particular reason to expect Twycross' other hyaena to disappear soon.

6. TeaLovingDave

I'll deal with euplerids and herpestids together.

In terms of herpestids, the Banded Mongoose (Mungos mungo) and Common Cusimanse (Crossarchus obscurus) are the most unusual of the "common" mongoose species held in the UK - both are held in a handful of collections, but are nowhere near as ubiquitous as other species. The Cusimanse is a particularly interesting case, as it is entirely absent outside the south-west of England, but is found in almost every single collection *within* the south-west!

The Meerkat (Suricata suricatta), Dwarf mongoose (Helogale parvula) and Yellow mongoose (Cynictis penicillata) are all ubiquitous, and need no further elucidation.

The most unusual mongoose held in a collection within the British Isles in question - but not being part of the UK proper - is the single very elderly Marsh Mongoose (Atilax paludinosus) held at Curraghs on the Isle of Man, the last individual of the species within Europe.

I do not know whether or not further mongoose species are held in private hands in the UK.

In terms of the euplerids - the Malagasy carnivorans once classified as herpestids and viverrids - the most common species in the UK is certainly the Fossa (Cryptoprocta ferox), which is held in 9 collections spread relatively evenly throughout the British Isles.

There are a small number of collections holding the Narrow-striped Boky (Mungotictis decemlineata decemlineata) - Newquay, Durrell, Chester and RSCC, although the species is not viewable to the public at the latter two collections. It is a small and rather reclusive species, so tricky to spot even when onshow in my limited experience.

Two further species of euplerid - the Spotted Fanaloka (Fossa fossana) and Eastern Ring-tailed Vontsira (Galidia elegans elegans) are currently only found at RSCC, and are thus not visible to the public at the present time. The former is the only holding of the species within Europe.

Last edited: 12 Feb 2014
  7. TeaLovingDave

I *think* I heard it is on the surplus list.

8. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

Lots of animals are on surplus lists - often for years! By all accounts, this is particularly true at Twycross. Animals on there are not necessarily being pushed out the door, they may just be available if other zoos want them.

9. TeaLovingDave

Rather than listing all the procyonid and mustelid taxa within the UK - which would take a while - I will pick out some of the more unusual and nicer species.

The last remaining collection to hold the less-common of the coati species, the White-nosed Coati (Nasua narica) is Belfast. They also hold the only Spotted-necked Otter (Hydrictis maculicollis) to be currently found within the UK.

There are a few collections which hold the Kinkajou (Potos flavus) - however, as a nocturnal species it can be a little tricky to spot. Newquay and Amazon World are the two collections I have had the most success with.

Howletts holds both Central African Ratel (Mellivora capensis cottoni) and South African Ratel (Mellivora capensis capensis) - neither of which are found anywhere else in the UK. A very attractive species, and very active by mustelid standards.

European Wolverine (Gulo gulo gulo) are held by three collections in the UK - HWP, Cotswold Wildlife Park and Whipsnade. It is quite active in my experience, although your mileage may differ - I know of one or two people who struggled to see the HWP pair when they were at Edinburgh, despite the fact they were always a surefire spot for me!

Another large and showy mustelid is the Giant Otter (Pteronura brasiliensis) which from a position of being almost unseen in European collections a decade or so ago has become quite common, although no less enjoyable to watch. Best places to see them have to be either Chestnut or Chester, both of which have fantastic enclosures for the species.

Whilst we are on the subject of otters, another species which has come out of nowhere in recent years is the Indochinese smooth-coated otter (Lutrogale perspicillata perspicillata), which is currently held at, and breeding in, three collections - Colchester, RSCC and Wingham.

RSCC also holds a population of Northern Yellow-throated Marten (Martes flavigula aterrima), a species also held at Twycross and Exmoor, although it is currently offshow at the latter collection. Great to watch though.

Finally, Exmoor, South Lakes and Hamerton all hold groups of the very attractive Tayra (Eira barbara) - the last of those collections has, in point of fact, bred them a few times. Speaking on a personal level, this is a species I would like to spread out a little more :) it is active, looks unusual and is, for all intents and purposes, a slender tropical wolverine!

10. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I believe Shepreth still hold Cusimanse, or at least the signs were still up last week, that's definitely not in the south-west!

11. TeaLovingDave

True! Nor are Drusillas or Folly, come to think of it - but certainly nowhere further north than Shepreth keeps the species :p

12. pipaluk

Ok, i'll let you off that one, but Curraghs isn't on the Isle of Wight!!
    Other than that, thanks for the breakdown, even if it is a little depressing, especially with so many of the rarer species being offshow.

13. TeaLovingDave

I *did* note the Marsh Mongoose was not actually in the UK, so you know what I meant ;)

Hopefully if RSCC does re-open as planned, all those rarer species will be visible to the public.

14. lamna

lamna Well-Known Member

Thanks for more information. I sadly missed the wolverines at Whipsnade, another reason to go there again.

How common are raccoons? They are a very common species but Drayton Manor is the only place I know that has them.

Newquay is looking like my best bet to get a lot of what I want. Pity it's five hours away by rail.

15. bongorob

bongorob Well-Known Member 15+ year member

When the line is open that is.:D

Raccoons are very common, Zootierlist has 31 holders of the species in the UK.

Hoo Farm and Gentleshaw are near to you.

Last edited: 12 Feb 2014
  16. BongoHardwood

BongoHardwood Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Bristol had a row of fairly new looking enclosures with civets, raccoons and possibly genets but I can't remember. We didn't see any of the animals though and they were set a bit back from the path so you probably wouldn't see them unless they were active...

17. pipaluk

You are of course correct, raccoons are very common statistically , but apart from Bristol & probably Yorkshire WP, the vast majority are held in smallish zoos/farm type places, so it is probably not obvious to some how many there actually are around.

18. lamna

lamna Well-Known Member

If that's still accurate Bristol looks pretty good, but the species list you can download from their website has no raccoons or civets at all. The only unusual carnivores listed are american otters and sand cats.

19. Tunanta

Tunanta Well-Known Member

Those Bristol ones are show animals-that's why they are set back and less 'on show'. I am trying to remember what they had when I last went-definitely raccoons & civets, I think coati possibly not sure about genet. Of those only the raccoons were regularly in the shows, the others being more recent arrivals that were being trained up (this was late last summer-2013, so could have changed).

20. BongoHardwood

BongoHardwood Well-Known Member 10+ year member

We had a feeling that may be the reason, but I reckon you could see them if you were lucky. We didn't see any shows or anything so I couldn't comment on what animals are being used now.