Join our zoo community

UK hyenas and viverrids

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by lamna, 11 Feb 2014.

1. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Can't say I do - the only other places to have held the species in the past decade I know of are Bristol, Manor House and Folly Farm; and I believe the latter two collections held the same individual now at Curraghs.

2. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

UK hyenas.......

No 'ordinary' Indian mongooses nowadays then?

3. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

Hardly any in Europe(an zoos). I've only ever seen one - at Heidelberg - and that's the only one listed at Zootierliste.

EDIT: Even in the former holdings the most recent UK entry for Herpestes edwardsii is 1980 for Chester.

4. TeaLovingDave

One or two on the continent - at Sharjah in the UAE and Heidelberg in Germany - but none in the UK.

5. Maguari

Stretching the definition of 'on the continent' there, given that by traditional definitions Sharjah is on a completely different continent to Heidelberg! :D

6. Nanook

Nanook Well-Known Member

Yes, there were several in collections and even more on the BIAZA surplus list at the time. I have a feeling they were imported through Ravensden possibly ? They were also regularly advertised in Cage & Aviary Birds.
    I am sure Colchester had them too.

7. Maguari

They did indeed.

8. Nanook

Nanook Well-Known Member

Hamerton Eastern Aardwolves ; eastern aardwolves at hamerton.jpg

9. Nanook

Nanook Well-Known Member

Thanks Maguari, thought I was imagining it all for a minute there!

10. TeaLovingDave

In that case it makes the fact the European population is down to a single elderly individual even more of a loss :(

11. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Is there any particular reason marsh mongoose fared so badly compared to other species like yellow, dwarf and meerkat? Or was it purely not enough interest in them?

12. Nanook

Nanook Well-Known Member

Well as a species I don`t think they are particularly pleasing to the eye for the majority of zoo visitors, they are not in the same "cute-ness league" as say the Dwarf Mongoose and the Meerkats obviously and they are not pretty like the Yellows so perhaps that is why. I am not sure if any bred at all in the UK at the time, I can`t remember, but I do know several , presumeably adult animals were available at the time. I think Basildon Zoo may have had them too ? (The more I think about it the more my memory kicks in!!)

13. Nanook

Nanook Well-Known Member

Talking of Mongooses ; there used to be quite a few Banded Mongoose around in the UK too, not so many now ?
    They tick all the boxes being pretty, endearing ,sociable, good breeders and popular with the public.

14. TeaLovingDave

Neither particularly common nor uncommon in my experience - CWP, Chester and SLWAP all have decent sized groups, and I believe both Battersea Park and Beale Animal Park also hold the species.

15. Brum

I think they are pretty cool and I think that mongoose diversity needs to go up in this country and Europe as a whole! Also, I don't think they are any less "cute" than kusimanse which are quite popular in places. A bloody shame there aren't more in my opinion.

16. Nanook

Nanook Well-Known Member

Yes, though the Cusimanses are a small social species like the Dwarf which always seem to be more appealing to the public. Whereas the Marsh are not so small and not that sociable, the ones I have seen were either kept singly or in pairs.

17. Brum

The bit in bold applies to red pandas as well but the public love them... I do see your point though and I suppose like all solitary small carnivores they can have their inactive periods.

18. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I have to agree, Colchester's old 'pit' is now a waterfall & empty pool! Don't know what happened to theirs?

19. tetrapod

tetrapod Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Interested to know from those that have seen them - what physical differences are there between the subspecies of Striped hyaena, aardwolf, binturong and ratel.

Certainly from my understanding of ratel taxonomy there is little difference across the entire range.

20. tetrapod

tetrapod Well-Known Member 15+ year member

For what it's worth I remember seeing (for the once and only time) quite a few Marsh mongoose at Colchester and also Banded mongoose at Exmoor circa late 90s.