Join our zoo community

UK hyenas and viverrids

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by lamna, 11 Feb 2014.

1. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

Eastern Aardwolves are sandier in colour than Southern in my experience, and also seem to be 'pointier' - less rounded, more angular.

There's a big size difference between Arctictis binturong binturong and A. b. whitei. Twycross's Arabian Striped Hyaena always looks smaller and browner than other Stripeds I've seen.

Never been able to tell the difference between the Ratels.

But it's not always easy with so few individuals to tell if these differences are between subspecies or between individuals, and things like colour are easily affected by environment.

2. Tim Brown

Tim Brown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

From memory Asiatic Ratels are supposed to have a grey "border" between the black and the white.Pilbara Reptiles in Gloucester (1st UK breeding of Samar Cobras) has got a couple of not-for-sale Common Genets in a reasonable indoor enclosure(possibly the ones from the Wolverhampton petshop).

3. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

As far as Aardwolf subspecies go, all the Southern Aardwolves I have seen in person - along with photographs of other individuals - are certainly shaggier, more robust and "hyena-like" in appearance when compared with the Eastern Aardwolf.

Moreover, the Southern subspecies seems to be somewhat more diurnal and confident from all I have seen and heard.

For comparative purposes....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The former photograph is a Southern Aardwolf at Hamerton, the latter an Eastern Aardwolf at Edinburgh.

4. zootiger

zootiger Well-Known Member

Just on the hyena front...

Brown Hyenas- I know with PL they released 1, Scar, back into the wild, and know at least 1 when back to Prague but where did the others go or did they pass away?

Aardwolves- I believe Hamerton now holds just 1 southern and 2 eastern. Not sure where the RSCC ones went, although I can see a private collection called Park Exotics seemed to have acquired 2.

Spotted Hyenas- Colchester has just 3 now is that right? I know also the new RSCC site in Cornwall has a pair.

Striped Hyena- Africa Alive had 2, I know 1 went to Dublin (is this individual still alive as zootierliste says they dont hold them but their website does?!), and what happened to the other 1? Shame to see both Twycross and Heythrop loose theirs.

5. Badgerman91

Badgerman91 Well-Known Member

Yes Colchester hold 1:2 Spotted Hyena, a father and his daughters. The mother died a couple of years back I think.

6. ShonenJake13

ShonenJake13 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

RSCC sent out pairs to Hamerton, Edinburgh, Berlin Tierpark, Tayto Park and Park Exotics - Edinburgh’s disappeared, Tayto’s remaining one went to Halle this year and Tierpark’s have now died, leaving just Hamerton and possibly Park Exotixs with aardwolves.

Don’t forget the bachelor holding of spotted hyenas at Longleat....

7. Babyrousa

Babyrousa Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Sorry but I think you actually mean Belfast, not Dublin. The individual in question was the female. Belfast also later received a male (don't know where he came from), but earlier this year, the female went to Augsburg, and the male went to Neunkirchen. Their departure now unfortunately means the species is absent from UK collections, which is a real shame as they are such an amazing species:(. Hopefully, they will come back to the UK, regardless of collection.

8. zootiger

So in clarification! In the UK:

Brown Hyenas- None

Spotted Hyenas- 2 at Longleat (potentialy 4 in near future), 2 at Leopard and Goat Farm, and 3 at Colchester

Aardwolf- 2 Eastern at Park Exotics, 2 Eastern and 1 Southern at Hamerton

Striped Hyena- None

9. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Belfast's male Striped Hyena came from Neunkirchen. He was returned to them when Belfast went out of the species

Babyrousa likes this.
  10. Babyrousa

Babyrousa Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Thanks Nisha ;).

11. zootiger

Sorry question slightly in the wrong forum, are there any brown hyenas in captivity outside of Prague & Opel (as in the US, Asia etc)?

12. Tim May

Tim May Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

The thread provides details of hyaenas in America so should be useful to you.

According to this thread, there are no brown hyaenas is the USA.

Hyenas in the USA

13. zootiger

Thank you very much! Last question! Does anyone know how many brown hyenas are now at Prague and how many are at Opel?

14. TeaLovingDave

Last I heard, Opel had a pair whilst Prague had 2,2 - however, all animals concerned were pretty old so it is quite possible there are fewer now.

15. TeaLovingDave

Given that @Chlidonias has reminded me of this thread, and almost exactly 5 years have passed since it was posted, I thought it would be apt to do a little updating.

VIVERRIDAE:

These have remained in reasonably decent numbers, with over a dozen collections holding the species - however, they remain largely restricted to smaller collections.

In the intervening years these have been displayed and bred at RSCC, but with the closure of the collection almost all were dispersed to the continent and the USA; a tiny number remained in private hands here in the UK, but I don't know if this is still the case.

These are still doing pretty well, with about a dozen collections displaying non-subspecific individuals.

These are doing quite a bit better now, with a little over half a dozen collections holding the species; however these are largely smaller collections, much as is the case with Asian Palm Civet.

To the best of my knowledge this has not changed.

Neither of the collections I cited 5 years ago keep them now, as RSCC no longer exists and Belfast ceased to keep the taxon, but in their place four other collections *do* keep Palawan Binturong, including Chester and Axe Valley.

The three collections cited previously have been joined by a fourth, Port Lympne. Both Shaldon and Newquay breed the species.

Of these four species:

I don't know of any Malayan Civet remaining in private hands in the UK - and in fact, the species might well now be absent from Europe entirely.

Cape Genet are held at Hoo Farm, Tropiquaria and North Somerset Bird Of Prey Centre.

Feline Genet remain present in private hands, and may be present in impure form at Shepreth incorrectly labelled as Pardine Genet.

Pardine Genet are held at two or three UK collections, and have been held at a few others in recent years, but only the stock at Wild Discovery in Preston are true Pardine, with the stock at Shepreth and All Things Wild highly doubtful as noted above.

---

Species not mentioned in my 2014 post which need to be highlighted:

Purebred Malayan Binturong (Artictis binturong binturong) are currently kept at both Dudley and Cotswold Wildlife Park.

After imports in 2017, Javan Binturong (Arctictis binturong penicillatus) are kept at Hamerton Zoo; currently the only public collection in Europe with the species.

After a long period of absence from the UK in both public and private hands, African Civet (Civettictis civetta) has come back into fashion among private breeders, with the result that three public collections - Reaseheath, Hoo Farm and Axe Valley - now hold the species.

Hausa Genet (Genetta thierryi) is now kept by Ark Wildlife Park.

Subsequent to a 2018 import, White-bearded Masked Civet (Paguma larvata leucomystax) is now present at Hamerton Zoo.

----

So overall, the past 5 years have been pretty good for viverrid diversity in UK collections :)

Brum and Mo Hassan like this.
  16. TeaLovingDave

HYAENIDAE

Sadly, the situation for this family is rather more bleak now, with two species absent and the remaining two in low numbers.

This species is now entirely absent from the UK - although it is faring well on the continent.

This species is now entirely absent from the UK, and is on the brink of disappearing from continental collections.

This subspecies is now only kept at Hamerton and - it seems from recent reports - Hemsley Conservation Centre, but is on-show at the former collection only. The subspecies is also faring poorly in Europe as a whole, with a sizable die-off in European collections over the course of 2018 and several ceasing to keep the species altogether.

They are down to a single individual now, but this subspecies remains at Hamerton.

This species remains at Colchester, and has recently arrived at Longleat too.

Brum, Ned and Mo Hassan like this.
  17. TeaLovingDave

HERPESTIDAE and EUPLERIDAE:

Banded Mongoose have declined quite a bit in the last 5 years, with only 4 or 5 collections now holding the species, but Cusimanse have enjoyed a bit of a surge - over a dozen collections now hold the species, with a pair of these being in Scotland and three further collections (Folly Farm, Shepreth and All Things Wild) being outside SW England.

No change here :p

Gone from the UK now, but just about hanging on in Europe due to new imports into private hands.

---

New arrivals into UK collections where herpestids are concerned are Egyptian Mongoose (Herpestes ichneumon ichneumon), held at Axe Valley, and Slender Mongoose (Galerella sanguinea), held at Shorelands. However, the latter is now a private collection once again, so only the former species is readily visible. Both are present in private collections.

---

These are now a little less commonplace - with 6 collections holding the species - but still the most common of the euplerids in the UK, and indeed Europe.

The situation has changed slightly for this species - RSCC no longer exists, but the new private collection owned by Todd Dalton in the West Country does still keep this species to the best of my knowledge. The three other collections named still keep the species, as does London Zoo.

More or less still the case, but read "Todd Dalton's new collection" for RSCC.

A new arrival to the euplerid scene in Europe is Grandidier's Vontsira (Galidictis grandidieri), kept by Todd Dalton and also (off-show) Chester Zoo.

Brum and Ned like this.
  18. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Pretty sure Axe Valley bred African Civets last year.

19. TeaLovingDave

MUSTELIDAE and PROCYONIDAE:

As previously noted, there are rather too many mustelids and raccoons to be comprehensive, but I shall update the oddities cited above and then list any major newcomers.

I believe this is still the case.

...as is this.

These are scattered throughout smaller collections dotted around the UK, with perhaps a shade under a dozen holders in total.

No change here to the best of my knowledge.

Still doing reasonably well in UK collections, although no longer kept at Chestnut Centre due to the closure of said collection.

No longer kept at RSCC for obvious reasons, but still present and breeding at the other two collections; also now kept at New Forest Wildlife Park.

Still the case, although I do not know if they are now on-display at Exmoor or not.

These are no longer kept at South Lakes, but are doing well at Exmoor and Hamerton. All Things Wild and Hemsley also keep the species, last I heard.

---

A major new arrival where mustelids are concerned is the Greater Grison (Galictis vittata), now present and breeding at Hamerton.

After an interregnum of a few years where the species was absent from Europe, Zorilla (Ictonyx striatus) is now present at Cedars Nature Centre and Hoo Farm, and is also present in private hands.

Anecdotally, I am given to understand that Saharan Striped Weasel and African Striped Weasel are currently present in European private collections - so it is possible they are also present within UK private collections.

devilfish, Brum, Ned and 1 other person like this.
  20. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Exmoor had two on-show enclosures for Yellow-throated Marten when I was there last month.

devilfish, pipaluk and TeaLovingDave like this.