Join our zoo community

UK Zoos closed due to COVID-19

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by pipaluk, 13 Mar 2020.

1. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Currently I am not aware of any, but as someone who quite often makes an impulsive decision to visit somewhere, I think this thread may help! Some closures are inevitable

Pertinax likes this.
  2. Quincey

Quincey Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Belfast Zoo closed with immediate effect:

Belfast Zoo

3. Panthera1981

Panthera1981 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Not good considering the charitable status of most UK collections and with the Easter holidays approaching too.

Could this mean the end for some collections?

4. amaroc

amaroc Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I can't understand closing zoos altogether, perhaps the indoor parts but surely being out in the open is no worse then walking down the average high street ?

5. polarbear

polarbear Well-Known Member 10+ year member

How about thinking of the bigger picture of the collections needing to look after their teams of people, who ultimately need to look after their collections of animals and plants, and the impact of the virus on them, both in terms of limiting people getting it and the impact when many of the team do.

No collection will take the decision to close lightly as there will be so many factors to take into account.

Probably easier for Belfast as the council, who run the zoo, have made the decision.

Agree that it will be a hard time for many collections and wish all well during this unsure time for all. Some may not survive, as with many other businesses.

A worrying time for all so please continue to support your local / favourite / all collections with any decisions they may need to take.

6. amaroc

That is true, but unless they are going to isolate themselves on site then they are still at risk every time they go shopping etc
    I'm pretty sure that most animal care staff have more contact with each other then visitors

7. polarbear

polarbear Well-Known Member 10+ year member

For the larger collections it’s not the animal care teams that keep the zoos open so the whole team need to be considered when keeping a collection open to the public.

8. amaroc

To be honest the only people I ever really come into contact with are those in the pay kiosks when I enter the zoo, you could close down the cafes etc and indoor attractions and still keep an income coming in to pay for the animal feeds etc.
    A lot of smaller zoos could go under because of it if they are forced to close.
    But what about people working in shops etc. they are possibly at more risk and yet no one would be happy if all the shops closed down, yret the staff at zoos have to buy their groceries somewhere

9. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I wonder if purely indoor collections, principally public aquariums, are more likely to close or be closed?

10. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I would think these might well be among the first affected. But whilst shops, pubs and restaurants are still open, I can't see the point in a lot of the more outdoor zoos being forced to shut.

11. Ned

Ned Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Surely safari parks would be an ideal day out, no one gets out of their car.

12. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

But you are much less than 2m from everyone else in the vehicle while you are in the park and en route (and you have to keep the windows fully closed in certain areas too).

13. Ned

Ned Well-Known Member 10+ year member

But if you live with the people you are in the car with then I don't see it makes a difference.

14. TriUK

TriUK Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Any scientific evidence to suggest that other Great Apes may be susceptible to this virus?

15. AdrianW1963

AdrianW1963 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

As I understand it after a chat with a few people on face book if the Government make the 500+ people gathering a no go then most collections will have to close as it will be 500 people in/on any given location at one time this will affect many other places not just zoos

16. RedCat09

RedCat09 Member 10+ year member

The lemur walk through enclosures are closed at Monkey World and Howletts

17. amaroc

at whipsnade that would mean almost emtpy

18. Bubalus

Bubalus Well-Known Member

As far as I aware, no UK zoos bar Belfast are at this time looking to close. Safety measures may be implemented such as walkthroughs being closed but having spoken to several colleagues across other collections, the general consensus is that zoos will carry on until the government advises otherwise. Other measures we are looking towards is stock piling on animal feeds, meat, hay/straw in the event that suppliers are not able to reach collection for any potential reason

Maguari likes this.
  19. Crowthorne

Crowthorne Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Not a zoo exactly, but the ZSL Library has brought forward its planned Easter closure, and will now be closed until the 5th May

ZSL Library on Twitter

20. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

500 people in a stadium, a club, a theatre, or a festival crowd is very different to 500 people around a zoo or theme park (or indeed, a large city park) though. The key problem is people being crowded close together, particularly if they are indoors. If 500 people cannot occupy the same outdoor space, however large it is, then how to define that would be a nightmare (What about Oxford Street? Covent Garden? London streets as a whole?). Or could daily entrance numbers be restricted? 500 people at Whipsnade or Chester could be spread very thinly indeed!

Aquariums are an interesting and slightly different case; they can get quite crowded so might be a more obvious target.

If zoos are instructed to close, it will probably be because a blanket closure of controlled-entry tourist sites is judged easier to apply than picking and choosing among all the various types. I wouldn't worry until it happens though - places people can go to relax and be out of their houses in the fresh air but that are not full of dense crowds may well be very valuable to us in the coming months. :)

pipaluk, Pertinax and Themonkeyguy1 like this.