Join our zoo community

UK Zoos closed due to COVID-19

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by pipaluk, 13 Mar 2020.

1. TriUK

TriUK Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Good point, though worrying to think it could be true!

2. Eric

Eric Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Linton Closed.

3. TriUK

TriUK Well-Known Member 10+ year member

4. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Zoos like Apenheul are closed for half a year. I once had the opportunity to visit Apenheul when it was closed and especially the Squirrel Monkeys were very curious about seeing people, many other animals couldn't really care less. Given how ignorant primates (including the Squirrel Monkeys) at Apenheul are of visitors during the regular season, I wouldn't think it changes them much.

littleRedPanda likes this.
  5. Andrew Swales

Andrew Swales Well-Known Member

Some questions, resulting from this statement?
    * Why half a year, ie six months - and not 5, or 7 or 12...?
    * How have they made this decision? - what do they know which is being with-held from the rest of us?
    *Six months will take them into the start of the next winter, with presumably no real income until Easter 2021.
    *Do they have reserves for this?
    *We have had a trickle of info from other countries, but do you know if the Dutch Government is helping?

6. CGSwans

CGSwans Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I believe Lintworm was referring to Apenheul’s annual winter shutdown.

FunkyGibbon likes this.
  7. ShonenJake13

ShonenJake13 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I think what lintworm means by that is Apenheul’s seasonal opening - they usually open in spring and close in autumn.

EDIT: just seen I’ve cross posted with CGSwans

8. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I indeed meant the annual winter closure, not the current crisis.

I am not aware of any zoo specific measures that the government has taken. All larger zoos are in pretty good health anyway and would survive a few more months of closure (though I expect the country to open up from June onwards). Smaller zoos face a more dire threat and multiple are asking for donations to cover feeding costs.

9. Andrew Swales

Thank you, that wasn't clear to me as it was to others.

June is wishful thinking - it is likely to be a year or more. All zoos will survive the next few months. Donations of supplies, a trickle of money, and a stay of execution for a few months from creditors and banks will push the crunch into next autumn.

10. hemsleycc

hemsleycc New Member

We have had a good response from our local MPs, and I have copies of letters that have been forwarded to the PM, Chancellor Rishi Sunak, and George Eustice (SoS DEFRA). I have tried uploading the document (PDF), however the file is apparently too large.
    The DEFRA zoos policy team have apparently made zoo and aquarium support a DEFRA priority after receiving many concerns and letters from collections. HMT are also apparently in the process of constructing an emergency fund to support DEFRA in critical cases where other support is not accessible or sufficient, and zoos have been earmarked as a priority.

We should all be hearing from our local authorities this week as DEFRA are putting together guidance on all options and support available.

Meanwhile we sit and wait, whilst DEFRA etc have been quiet about the situation thus far.
    Communication is key.

TNT, DesertRhino150, Brum and 3 others like this.
  11. Andrew Swales

Thank you hemsleycc.

'Commuication is key' is an interesting comment. All our contacts have been either ignored or dismissed. I have discovered from our book-keepers this morning that Lloyds bank have taken our monthly standing orders and not 'frozen' our loans as instructed by Government. They have stated that we cannot access any of the business interruption funding, and have now been silent for a week. Whilst they clearly are very stretched, it is difficult to 'communicate' with someone who wont answer!

I have linked on here (under its own header) a copy of the email we sent to our own MP, BALPAA and all our other contacts.

hemsleycc - please let me have your contact emails at DEFRA or anywhere else, so I can forward it to them - [email protected]

Last edited: 6 Apr 2020
  12. Crowthorne

Crowthorne Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

BIAZA have released a simple infographic outlining the economic impact their member zoos have in the economy.

BIAZA reveals the economic impact of member zoo and aquariums | Biaza

I heard the daily briefing yesterday, where the Chancellor outlined a help package for charities, but didn't hear anything about zoos/animal charities in that. Hopefully these will be covered eventually by some dedicated economic scheme. Everything has been put together so quickly, not everything can be covered all at once. The Govt is flying by the seat of its pants right now.

devilfish likes this.
  13. Andrew Swales

Thank you for the link Crowthorne. I hadn't intended to contribute again, but as my account is still live, here goes. It does seem that (as it appeared from the above) that BIAZA may be attempting to distance itself from non-member zoos. It was earlier referring to 'the sector' but now only states 'members'. This is not new of course, but if it is the case, is a sad reflection on the current situation, when animal welfare ought to take priority over politics. Yes, there have now been considerable offers made to charities and we have just heard that our local authority is releasing a major funding scheme too, but again it is not applicable for us as it only covers new planned capital projects and is therefore not actually 'help',and our MP has still not replied to my email which ZC has taken down. We are collating a spreadsheet of all the publicised assistance packages, where they were sourced, and why we are not able to claim. It is a longish list now, and still ends with a zero - so far...!

14. polarbear

polarbear Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Through its work, BIAZA has been and will be supporting the sector, and I don’t think distancing from non-members as it’s not their style to (unless there is a good reason to in any specific cases) but in this info graphic, as clearly stated, is using the info it has available from its membership.

What stands out for me from it is that from 420 licensed zoos and aquariums nearly 300 are not BIAZA members, some of whom will now be looking for their support.

15. Tim Brown

Tim Brown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

As Andrew well knows,i totally sympathise with his situation...and his frustration at not getting any help. My accountant yesterday said that numerous clients(small business) are simply not now paying corporation tax,VAT(with the government`s blessing,a "holiday"for the moment),rates etc...ive been offered a grant by my local council,that,in Hamerton`s case would keep the lights on for half a week. But it is desperate times and I do wonder whats in store down the line if taxes are not being paid.I must say,however,that i didnt read into BIAZA`s economic impact graphic any distancing from non-BIAZA zoos(and although the zoo community is interlinked on all manner of platforms you could hardly blame them for saying "you should have joined"...which they are not doing as far as i can see,however implied a non-member may think that is ).
    That said...one wonders how much of an impact the figures are going to make on a government/country in extremis ,the total figure of economic impact quoted is less than Manchester United`s annual turnover for instance(and,in company terms they are not a particularly large enterprise). My worry ,real worry,is that directive this,directive that,law this,rule after rule....zoos and their purpose/mission are just not high enough up the agenda to receive the special treatment they deserve.

Last edited: 9 Apr 2020
    TNT likes this.
  16. Tim Brown

My last point being that the weight of bureaucracy in the name of political correctness,"anti"-pressure etc etc has been enormous,but no-one`s really bothered now.

17. Shorts

Shorts Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Truly bizarre, given general business method is to finance long-term (i.e. capital projects) with long term finance* I struggle to see why a local authority** would deem capital projects a priority over revenue grants to cover day-to-day running of a business.

*i.e. a well-run business would generally have finance in place for capital projects

**that said local authorities are renowned for ploughing their own furrows (always easier when you've not earned the money yourself).

18. Tim Brown

The grant offered to my business was /is gratis as far as i know...but then I qualify as a "small business",many zoos will be above and beyond that definition. To be honest,to suppose that businesses other than large ones have separate funds defined as "capital projects" is not the norm...thats where banks come in. Some zoos have a capital projects/improvements pot however,and will now have to dip into it for running costs. The future isnt bright.

19. Andrew Swales

It does look, Tim as though we might be able to get the £25,000 leisure grant. We have applied, and had confirmation that it is being considered by our LA and an answer might be available in June. The same LA of course that we have been 'dealing with' over other issues since June 2017. If we do get it, yes it has already been spent and we are back into overdraft.

With regard to the BIAZA position, we do know that they have an 'approved zoos' list and that Hamerton is not on it. Historically of course we were long-standing members of the UK Zoo Federation as it used to be called, many years before BIAZA even existed. That organisation did not support its smaller members, and we had to resign during the first round of BALAI approvals when only 2 zoos and 1 dealer in the UK were 'approved'. This allowed us to develop the collection here ourselves with help from good friends abroad and has resulted in the collection the Park has today. Tim knows most of this (if not more) of course, but his comment means I have had to detail it here for the first time.

The non-payment of PAYE, VAT etc is all discretionary, all VERY temporary and ALL only a short holiday. The bills will be waiting for us in 3 months time, or 6 months or whenever.

Do not assume for a moment that it is only the small zoos at risk, we are all in the same boat - it is just the number of zeros on the balance sheets that separate us.

The one important difference between zoos and the other organisations (like Manchester United, or any other huge 'business') is that the public don't see us as such. I pointed this out in my email which was censored. The public response now is touching and universal, even if it is not enough financially. The zoo-bashing by the media appears to have stopped, the stories are positive and all our social media efforts are reaching many, many more people.

If the Government does intend killing us off by neglect in 6 months or a years time, they might have more of a political problem on their hands than they expect - or maybe they do know, which could be why our MP did not reply?

Last edited: 9 Apr 2020
  20. Andrew Swales

Yes indeed, green politics and the EU don't seem to be mentioned much either...