Join our zoo community

UK zoos & lockdown going forward...

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by TriUK, 8 May 2020.

1. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Not particularly zoo-related but I would really like to know when the 'lockdown' officially ends, has it happened already and if not when? Will it be announced officially? Radio stations etc that constantly referred to 'while we are in Lockdown' a few weeks ago seem to be doing so far less now. Like all the other things- the one way systems in supermarkets etc, will it just quietly disappear without trace or formal announcement? I watched people filling up at a petrol station today- a few weeks ago they were all wearing the gloves-not anymore...

2. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

This is one of the problems. I don't think there will ever be a 'back to normal' announcement, though I hope they don't forget that officially we're still being banned from various social combinations meeting as that will cause a lot of people a lot of anxiety if they're not sure what they're allowed to do. As @Andrew Swales notes, the initial Stay at Home messaging was very effective - the clarity of the messaging since has perhaps not matched that, and I do worry we're drifting into a kind of national (international?) agoraphobia as a result. Caution and care are good; fear and anxiety are not. Certainly not once you're trying to get things going again.

Though having said that, I do think people have got used to regularly washing/sanitising hands, rather than being scared to touch things, so that would probably explain the petrol/gloves thing.

sooty mangabey and Pertinax like this.
  3. Pertinax

I think father time will probably take care of that in the longer term, but it will be interesting to see when all the 'easings' have been made/relaxed, exactly what officialdom does next.

4. Crowthorne

Crowthorne Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Tesco have quietly removed the one way system in their stores this week.

5. SHAVINGTONZOO

SHAVINGTONZOO Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I'm not sure we, the public, ever had a proper "lockdown". Perhaps the first few weeks - the "stay home" phase. We had a series of restrictions which are gradually being eased. By today the range of things actually barred are pretty limited and likely to reduce further in the next few weeks.

Curiously, I'm actually seeing (e.g.) more people wearing face coverings in supermarkets now than at any earlier stage of the pandemic.

AdrianW1963 and Pertinax like this.
  6. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

I noticed that Colchester Zoo and now Wingham are stating on their facebooks that masks will be mandatory in the gift shops from the 24th in line with the Government Guidance (facebook). Some zoos will need us to wear a mask to pass through their entrances/exits too.

7. Sand Cat

Sand Cat Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I don't think this latest statement from Chester Zoo on the government's zoo funds has been reported on here, but here it is: https://www.chesterzoo.org/news/statement-on-the-governments-zoo-animals-fund/

The most interesting part is the claim that only just over £2 million of the pledged funds have been allocated, as most zoos don't meet the eligibility criteria. I think that is absolutely disgusting - yet sadly, not all that surprising.

8. Andrew Swales

Andrew Swales Well-Known Member

I think you are right not to be surprised!
    I did give a little detail on this before, but am not sure if it was on this thread.
    The maximum for one claimant under any of these schemes (individually or combined) is 800,000 euros. The new one (with £100m) has a cut off date for applications in November. It requires a claimant to prove that it has only 12 weeks financial reserves remaining, so covers the winter through till February. The previous £14m scheme did not have any such limit.
    The 12 weeks of reserves has to take into account earnings, so maybe Chester's are too high? For them to know now that they wont be eligible in 3 months time when we might be in the middle of another lock-down, implies that their earnings might be too high, or of course that they will have more than 12 weeks reserves remaining. The odd thing this time is that planned developments CAN be taken into account, which if ambitious enough with another lock-down looming would put many a zoo into the 12 week risk period.
    All any of us can do is the same as last time - bang in the figures, answer the questions and wait and see.
    If Chester's position is that they don't comply, and they know that now - rather than the 800 is not enough (which is perfectly possible), then they must be very sure of what their position will be three months hence.

Last edited: 12 Aug 2020
    Jennings likes this.
  9. Alex64

Alex64 Member

I am surprised that only £2m had been claimed. I wonder where they'd number comes from, not that I doubt it, but just that it is a very interesting (and sad) number.

10. Andrew Swales

Andrew Swales Well-Known Member

Sand Cat (above) quoted that only £2m had been allocated - not £2m had been claimed. I am sure these figures are quite different.
    Lists of successful claimants have been published, but we have not seen any figures attached to the lists; or any details of rejected claimants...

11. littleRedPanda

I noticed a couple of zoos are winding down booking restrictions now the summer holidays are coming to an end. Hopefully, there is no significant virus spike in the coming months, as predicted by some and visits can be enjoyed more spontaneously.

12. Pertinax

Which ones do you know of?

13. taun

taun Well-Known Member

Chester zoo are allowing members not to book during the week soon with exception to October half term.

Pertinax likes this.
  14. sparkes12

sparkes12 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Whipsnade also have said members do not need to book for midweek vists from next week.

15. SHAVINGTONZOO

SHAVINGTONZOO Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Interestingly Chester's Annual Report specifically mentions a potential autumn shutdown as a material risk to trading.

16. littleRedPanda

Chester as mentioned by others and ARK Wildlife Park & Exotic Animal Sanctuary, who posted on FB that bookings in general are no longer required, but also stating peak times might result in queues.

17. taun

taun Well-Known Member

Pretty sure it will be at the back of most businesses minds right now, local lockdowns/restrictions may close businesses for a temporary time.

18. AdrianW1963

AdrianW1963 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

With the new rules on Covid-19 coming into affect from Monday 14th September 2020 (only gathering of 6 people at any time and then they must be in your bubble or related) how do you think this will relate to zoological collections especially indoor areas.
    Will collections have to close ALL indoor viewing areas and then have to put staff at ALL areas that people gather in?

19. jde7582

jde7582 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Don't believe will make any difference, you have to wear masks in these areas so allows the 1m+ rule rather than 2m, easy fix is to only allow up to 6 people per booking. I see the point of the new rule, but it won't work, impossible to police and will make people lie to track and trace handlers if you had a family get together of over 6

20. taun

taun Well-Known Member

Pointless and doubt it will impact zoos are you go the shops or pub and mingle with more than 6 people. Also near impossible to police.

But sure if you claimed that the breach of law was limited and specific you could potentially get away with it....