Join our zoo community

UK zoos & lockdown going forward...

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by TriUK, 8 May 2020.

1. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

So I'm in tier 3, looks like I'm not likely to be going anywhere any time soon. Dudley are open (outdoor only) but I'm not supposed to get public transport unless necessary so won't be visiting there. In fact I won't be going anywhere unless it's essential... :(

2. taun

taun Well-Known Member

If only we all lived in the south...:rolleyes:

Chester opening again but as it is booking only, I doubt I will be going this year.

3. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

"Members won’t need to book in advance, unless you’re planning to visit during the school holidays (Saturday 19 December – Sunday 3 January), then you’ll need to book your tickets."

4. taun

taun Well-Known Member

Thanks missed that, but pretty much busy until the start of the school holidays. Might get in the weekend before.

5. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

You have my sympathy and I will try not to mention where I'm going on Friday (unless I have something to add for the challenge!).

6. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

You have no idea how much I'm inwardly seething right now ;):D

pipaluk likes this.
  7. woody505

woody505 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Just read the current rules for visiting Chester zoo depending on which tier your visiting from .What is a hard situation anyway just became harder. Tier 2ppl can visit with rule of six, tier 3ppl can visit with there household or Bubble.
    Could get a crazy scenario where Chester zoo has a load of visitors from Blackpool tier 3atm and they're welcome to go inside the elephant house as it's been deemed safe. But if the same lot of people visited Blackpool zoo the next day they couldnt go inside the elephant house as it's not safe because of tier 3.

8. littleRedPanda

I was thinking of creating a poll asking how many people would go against advice not travel into or out from tier three areas, to visit zoos. As I understand it, people from Blackpool shouldn't be visiting Chester, although it's not against the law.

9. SHAVINGTONZOO

SHAVINGTONZOO Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I thought indoor areas were closed in both tiers.

10. littleRedPanda

I'm confused, as Chesters faq does say some are open (not the elephant house though)

11. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

They only have to close indoor areas in Tier 3, though obviously they're free to close any areas they like.

While I'm in Tier 3 I would only visit zoos in Tier 3, and to be honest, I'm only planning a Matlock Farm Park placebo before the 16th in the hope we'll drop down to Tier 2, as we were not far off and have been falling since. If we stay 3 at that point I may think about a YWP visit (assuming South Yorkshire is also still 3 at that point). But all the wording of the actual rules/guidance is ambiguous as usual. They advise against leaving 'your area' (left vague - my immediate area? My county? The tier area as a whole?) but you can 'travel through other tier areas as part of longer journeys'. The usual confusion and loopholes..!

Brum likes this.
  12. littleRedPanda

cool, so I don't have to feel guilty about going straight up the M6 to Chester.

13. Andrew Swales

Andrew Swales Well-Known Member

Indoor areas haven to be closed in tier 3 - or anywhere if there are free-flying birds (independently of Covid) under bird-flu restrictions, along with all other walk-though areas.

14. SHAVINGTONZOO

SHAVINGTONZOO Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The First Minister of Wales is currently making a statement and it would appear outdoor attractions are to close, presumably including zoos.

15. littleRedPanda

Zoos in the new Tier 4 will be closing again I'm sad to say. I think it takes effect as of tomorrow

16. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Both ZSL zoos, all in Kent, Paradise WP,(only zoo in herts) Woburn are the major zoos to suffer. There are probably a few more. Not many in bucks, berks. Colchester still tier2

Pertinax likes this.
  17. thunder_monkey

thunder_monkey Active Member 10+ year member

Cedars Nature Centre is also in Herts and will also have to close, sadly. We should have been visiting them today but couldn't travel from Tier 2 into Tier 3 to do that after they went into the higher tier on Wednesday.

18. J C

J C Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

I would get your visits in sone to any collections you can legally now Boris has a tier 4 button I can see him pressing it a lot in the next few weeks :(

19. CGSwans

CGSwans Well-Known Member 15+ year member

After ten months, do people still not understand that this is precisely the wrong attitude to have?

The purpose of lockdowns is to stop virus transmission. The means of stopping virus transmission, until vaccines can be rolled out in significant numbers, is by avoiding people physically interacting with each other. The way to avoid interacting with each other is to not engage in any unnecessary travel. If the current levels of restrictions were working, case numbers would not be increasing. That means that even things you are ‘allowed’ to do are not currently ‘safe’ to do.

The vaccines are approved and will be available in bulk very soon. Just do yourself and everybody you love a favour and *wait*.

SHAVINGTONZOO likes this.
  20. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

I suspect the fact that the government has been wholeheartedly mismanaging the matter - particularly where the issue of schools and universities being made to act as if everything is business as usual, with dozens of students (and hence dozens of "bubbles") interacting with one another in person - means that no level of restrictions would work at present :( but then, I personally suspect that is precisely their aim.

giant_anteater and TriUK like this.