Join our zoo community

Uncommon exhibit design challenge

Discussion in 'Fantasy Zoos' started by DragonDust101, 11 Sep 2016.

Tags:
  1. DragonDust101

DragonDust101 Well-Known Member

Hey Zoochatters,
    I wanted to propose a small exhibit design challenge. You have one week to design an exhibit that is based on a geographic region not often seen in zoos. For an example, an ecoreigo almost unseen in the zoological community is the gif forest of India, though the Zurich Zoo has that exhibit. Thanks. There is no budget or area that needs to be filled. Zoo Tycoon 2 pics are okay, but schematics are preffered. Thanks :D

2. elefante

elefante Well-Known Member

The exhibit needs to be drawn out? Not a description?

3. DragonDust101

Both is preferred, but if you can't do a schematic then just description is totally okay

4. animal_expert01

animal_expert01 Well-Known Member

Ok I cannot post schematics but here is the description :D
    Ok my habitat will be a mangrove from th Northern Territory, Australia.
    There would be a large number of board walks stretching through an artificial mangrove forest and beach which is the main exhibit. It is a large enclosed area, with under water viewing for the ocean part of the exhibit. In the main enclosure there is 3 sections. The ocean, the beach and the mangrove mud flats. In the mangrove mud flats the vegetation would consist of grey mangrove trees and mangrove palms. In the main exhibit the animals would consist of juvinelle mangrove jack, juvinelle barramundi, grey headed flying fox, beach stone curlew, mudskippers, mud lobsters, green mud crabs, brown mud crabs and pied imperial pigeons. There would also be another secondary exhibit exactly like the first, except it would be split in half form a large fence. In the first half of the exhibit there would be salt water crocodiles and in the second half adult barramundi, adult mangrove jack and mangrove monitors. There would also be a small fish tank containg pistol shrimp as well as three small open top enclosure, one for false water rat, one for little file snake and the other for Arafura file snakes, with a land and water area.

Last edited: 12 Sep 2016
  5. Kakapo

Kakapo Well-Known Member

Nice idea! Being in "Fantasy Zoos" I suppose that we could choose any region on Earth, right? Then I choose Galapagos Islands. In real life that would be impossible as importing any animal from Galapagos is completely restricted and the only captive ones outside these islads are giant tortoises. The shape of the exhibit would be adapted to the contour of the zoo and surrounding current exhibits, but I would like to make a lake imitating the sea, with mounds of land in the shape of each island, interconnected by a wood bridge and with explanation signage about the volcanic origin, the evolution's theory, invasive exotic species in Galapagos, etc. After that, you would enter the part with animals, where in a walking with native plants (such as Opuntia galapageia) you would enter first an open-sky den for big reptiles (giant tortoises, land iguanas mixed together), followed by smaller aviaries with Galapagos mockingbird (Nesomimus trifasciatus), vermilion flycatcher and some species of Darwin's finches, in front of them could be a bronze statue of Darwin with explanation about the radiation of finches. Then at the other side of the path you will see a series of terraries with smaller native reptiles such as lava lizard, next the path would surround a big pool for Galapagos sea lions with an underwater view window, and a smaller pool at the other side mixed for marine iguanas and red crabs, following a big walk-through marine aviary with lava herons, masked boobies, blue-footed boobies and flightless cormorants, finally the path would end in a big building with underground aquariums that would contain an enclosure for Galapagos penguins, some smaller tanks with corals and reef fishes, and a bigger pelagic tank for the bigger animals like Galapagos sharks, hammerhead sharks, sea turtles, etc. Finally at the exit could be some interactive display and playground for children that could ride "toy horses" (sorry I don't know if there is a more correct name in english...) but in the shape of Galapagos animals, also a small gift shop.

I don't know if the author of this thread wants a more exhaustive design, since he left a week and I did that within few minutes and all from my memory, but at least it's similar in lenght of text to the Australian mangrove above. We will see the next exhibits!

6. animal_expert01

animal_expert01 Well-Known Member

Nice Kakapo!

7. DragonDust101

Nice so far! I'll be doing my own now

8. FelipeDBKO

FelipeDBKO Well-Known Member

I've done something related in another post:

"A large dome. Inside a beach with a lot of big rocks, where visitors pass by a wooden bridge. In some points have some glass walls with half-underwater half-out-of-water viewing. Blue-footed boobies (maybe other species), frigatebirds (probably Magnificent) and albatrosses (probably Waved) can fly free through the dome. Marine iguanas, Sally lightfoot crabs and Galápagos penguins live together in a spacious beach full of sand, rocks and water. Maybe Galápagos sea lions and/or fur seals also live in this dome, but separated from iguanas, crabs and penguins. In the water fishes and other animals, maybe some large as Green sea turtles and Galápagos sharks.

A large vivarium with small rivers, small forests and plains for finches, Galápagos tortoises (maybe endangered subspecies), Galápagos land iguanas (maybe Barrington iguana and Pink iguana), American flamingos and maybe some minor/unknown fauna (Galápagos doves, Lava lizards)... Galápagos hawks also live in this vivarium, but I'm not sure if they would be separated or not from the other animals. But I would like to make they live together with the tortoises and, if possible, with the iguanas.

So far I only mentioned the main fauna. Maybe would have some house to expose the unknown fauna as some reptiles (Barrington and Pink land iguanas, Lava lizards) and invertebrates (Darwin's giant centipede, Galápagos scorpion)."

9. Kakapo

Kakapo Well-Known Member

oooops, I forgot about frigatebirds! I didn't included albatross on my Galapagos exhibit because pelagic birds are too difficult to breed in captivity, or at least unfair to keep: they need an entire ocean for fly!

Nice to know that we tought almost the same exhibit independiently (evolutive convergence? XD )

I also forgot the Galapagos doves, gosh. Being the nicest of the genus, how I could? I should include them in the aviaries with mockingbirds, finches, etc. And Galapagos hawk! About the centipede and scorpion, I don't know these species, but for sure an exhibit of this kind must have more invertebrates than the red crabs for be complete!

I like your design :)

10. FelipeDBKO

FelipeDBKO Well-Known Member

I agree, I just put the albatross to have a greater number of choices.

Must be because there are not too many famous species from Galapagos.

Before I also didn't know these species... I discovered when I was developing this exhibit, searching for little-known species from Galapagos.

Thank you. I don't develop exhibits frequently.

11. Ebirah766

Ebirah766 Member

Mine would be a "Living Fossils" exhibit. It's indoors, and it would contain this.

It's modern style, exhibits in the wall. As you walk in, there's a large exhibit, containing multiple rocks and deep water, home to a green anaconda

Another exhibit connected to it, (On the same wall), contains a medium sized terrarium with a single Chilean tarantula

Other exhibits lined up on the same wall are home to some chambered nautiluses, an aquatic caecilian, and a giant pacific octopus

A pond in the middle of the hall contains some red-eared slider turtles

On the other side, you have a large terrarium with some panther chameleons, a smaller one for a single South American lungfish, and then a kriesel tank for moon jellyfish. The next wall has a single large tank for a variety of strange-colored lobsters

The next yard is home to 2 radiated tortoises.

A larger habitat on the next wall is home to, eh, i'm tired and I don't feel well

12. MoleRat

MoleRat Active Member

Mine would be a "North Africa" section, which as far as I'm concerned is uncommon in zoos.

First there is a large(3 acres) aviary housing a the fllowing species:
    (Sand partridge)Ammoperdix heyi
    (Nubian nightjar)Caprimulgus nubicus
    (Crowned sandgrouse)Pterocles coronatus

(White-crowned black wheatear)Oenanthe leucopyga
    (Temminck's lark)Eremophila bilopha
    (Common dove)Columba livia
    (African desert warbler)Sylvia deserti
    (Spanish sparrow)Passer hispaniolensis

The aviary has a sandy ground, with large rocks and trees every here and there. Near it is a flamingo exhibit with Greater Flamingos. The exhibit has one large pond with an island in the middle. Next is a large exhibit for a pair of Fennec foxes and a small terrarium for Egyptian tortoises, then another large exhibit for Sulcata tortoises. Nest is a another aviary, but a rather small one. housing a pair of Purple Herons and another pair of Spur winged plovers, and a large flock of purple gallinules. There are a few terrariums housing Dune geckos.