Join our zoo community

Universities for conservation or zookeeping in Canada

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Ebillan, 28 Oct 2012.

1. Ebillan

Ebillan Member

I wasn't sure whether to put this in zoo discussion, wildlife & conservation, or here, so I hope this is the right place for this thread!

Anyhow, I'm trying to find a university right now, but although there are leading schools in Canada for every other subject, it seems, I can't figure out what the best schools are for conservation and zookeeping. I was wondering if anyone else here knew of any good programs to take?
    I've looked at the Sheridan college animal care program which, as the name suggests, focuses in specifically on caring for animals. The only problem is that it's only a one year program, and I'm not sure if I would be able to get a job in zookeeping with only a certificate.
    I've also been looking at the University of PEI and the University of New Brunswick for their wildlife conservation programs. My only problem here is that I don't know whether these programs would be the best for me. I want to get into conservation optimally, but I don't want to close any doors if I decide later on that I want a job in zookeeping.

Thanks for any help!

2. TZFan

TZFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Now I dont know what universtities or colleges have programs available for you in Canada or even the US but I suggest you contact the CAZA or AZA. My bet is they would know about programs in North America which are respected and which ones a questionable. They might be able to direct you. Also try contacting the larger zoo's in Canada, people in their human resources department might be able to help. I mean they are the ones doing the hiring and they know what schools they prefer applicants from.

I do know the university of Guelph has an exceptional veternary program. With such a program dedicated to animals prehaps they have something for you. Guelph is where Toronto Zoo gets necropsy's done on their animals and where they get help when needed. If they dont have a program for you they might also be people to contact and ask.

Good luck to you on your search.

3. JBZvolunteer

JBZvolunteer Well-Known Member

You could always just take a hop and a skip across Lake Superior to Northern Michigan University(Marquette, MI) or head into the lower peninsula and go to Michigan State Univeristy(Lansing, MI).

4. Blondie

Blondie Well-Known Member

As a student at the University of Guelph, I HIGHLY recommend checking it out!
    I am a marine and freshwater biology major, and have many friends in the Wildlife and Conservation major. It is truly great, I have talked to many people who find it highly respected.

TZFan is right as well, we have a great relationship not only with the Toronto Zoo, but many other zoological sites and conservation programs.

We have a large variety of different courses to, and the major is highly flexible to allow you to focus on what you would like to do.

Here is a link to the course schedule: Wildlife Biology and Conservation (WBC) - 2012-2013 Undergraduate Calendar

Hope this helps,
    Let me know if you have any other questions.

5. Zoogoer2000

Zoogoer2000 Well-Known Member

I'm also looking to pursue a career in zookeeping, and I have done a fair bit of research on school matters.

Within Ontario, here is the break down. There are 2 universities which offer zoology (Laurentian and Guelph), one university that offers wildlife biology (Guelph) and one university that has animal behaviour (Western). Toronto also has a program called "Animal Physiology", in their "Life Sciences" faculty.

As for colleges, I believe animal care programs are offered at Sheridan and Seneca.

A few other universities in Canada offer zoology as well (UBC Okanagan campus, Calgary and U of Manitoba). There are no true "zookeeping" programs in Canada, although you can find a teaching zoo in Santa Fe, Florida.

6. Ebillan

Ebillan Member

Thanks everyone for your replies!

JBZ; Unfortunately I can't afford international student fees, otherwise there would be a number of schools I would love to go to. I'm really hoping that the PEI or New Brunswick programs are alright because they would only cost me around 8k a year including both residence and tuition. I haven't even looked at BC because I know I can't afford to live there, haha ;-;

TZ; Thanks so much, I'll definitely try to contact AZA, I wouldn't even have thought of that c:

Blondie & Zoogoer; The University of Guelph program looks fantastic, actually. I love the wide range of electives available. And animal behaviour! They don't offer that with any of the other conservation programs I was considering. Now I just need to figure out if it's within my budget..!

7. Zoogoer2000

Zoogoer2000 Well-Known Member

Guelph is definitely my highest recommendation!

8. Ebillan

Ebillan Member

It looks really good, and (assuming I'm not missing something) it also seems like it will be very affordable!
    Good luck to you and your zookeeping. I'd love to hear from you when you decide where you want to go~

9. TZFan

Glad contacting the AZA and CAZA was something you hadnt already done. Sometimes it just helps to have other ideas.

My guess would be as an Ontarian Guelph would be a very affordable option. Its not like Guelph is a major center so rent should be more reasonable than all of the GTA. And heck sounds like there are several zoo chatters there you could make friends with and who can give you a lot of good info and tips.

Best of luck to all of you future zoo keepers.

10. Ebillan

Ebillan Member

Ack, as it turns out I'm going to need to get my advanced functions high school credit. Who ever knew that I would need grade 12 math? Hah... :I

11. zookeeper101

zookeeper101 Member

So would Guelph be the best possible zoo keeping program...per say?:confused:

12. Blondie

If that is something you are looking into, Guelph has A LOT of different programs that could greatly help you with getting a career in zoo-keeping, we have many different alumni that now work at many different zoos (lots of possible connections for you to make), I highly recommend looking into coming to UOG! (PS. I am a Marine and Freshwater Biology major there haha).

13. Ebillan

Ebillan Member

I haven't posted here in a while, but I just thought I would pop in to say that I've decided on the University of Guelph. It has some fantastic programs and the campus life seems wonderful from what I've read. Thank you guys very much!

14. TZFan

Congradulations Ebillan! Best of luck. You'll do great I'm sure. Be sure to share with us what your learning from time to time.

15. Blondie

Ebillan,

As a student at the UoG, I HIGHLY recommend joining, all the clubs that you can, the experience is awesome! Plus some of the clubs have awesome perks with many things.

I am a member of the Wildlife club, and Vice-President of the Marine and Freshwater Biology Society.....both clubs are awesome, and getting to know students in older years that have similar interest, that you do is awesome....plus you don't have to be in that major to be in the club, just go to the meetings.

I look forward to meeting you sometime, in the Fall. I guarantee you will LOVE your time at Guelph, so congrats on getting in!

Zach