Join our zoo community

University Project: Cerrado & Bangweulu Wetlands Aviaries

Discussion in 'Speculative Zoo Design and Planning' started by ZooBoy99, 30 Oct 2023.

1. ZooBoy99

ZooBoy99 Well-Known Member

Hi everybody! I've just recently gained access to the Speculative Zoo Design & Planning forum, and it couldn't have happened at a better time! I'm taking a course on architecture and design right now. Recently, my class was given an assignment to develop anything we are passionate about, and for me it's zoos. So, I wanted to ask for the advice & knowledge of people who've been to zoos around the globe, and have seen a variety of animals & enclosures. My objective is to create two aviaries using species found in AZA facilities, modeled after the Cerrado and Bangweulu Wetlands.

I would love to hear your thoughts & knowledge of birds that should be housed in these aviaries. But please refrain from using birds found in zoos outside of the US or birds that aren't kept in captivity. I want to create these designs as realistic as possible for myself, even though I know my professor wouldn't be able to detect the difference. Feel free to suggest birds that are present on the continent these habitats are located on, not simply the animals in these ecosystems (I know this may be forbidden for some zoochatters).

The Cerrado Walkthrough Aviary - According to WWF, the Cerrado, which is primarily found in Brazil, is the most biodiverse savanna in the world. Being home to about 860 species of bird, that's why I think an aviary based off this habitat would be fantastic! I'm hoping to create something similar to the Houston Zoo's Pantanal savanna aviary which guests are also able to walkthrough. I'm still working on the design of the aviary itself and have a few species in mind. I currently have listed Wattled Curassow & Golden Conure which aren't from the Cerrado but are apart of the SSP, Wood Stork & White-Faced Whistling Duck, and Green Oropendola which I believe would bring a great educational value through their nesting behavior. I'm trying not to copy the exact same species of birds found in the Houston Zoo's aviary & my goal is to have 12-14 species found in this aviary with the goal of breeding. I would like to hear everyone's thoughts & advice of which birds could be in this aviary, and if any of my current choices should be changed.

The Bangweulu Wetlands Aviary - The Bangweulu wetlands is located in north-eastern Zambia, it has a diverse ecosystem & is home to over 400 species of birds. The star of this aviary would be the Shoebill Stork, I know they're a fading species in the US, with Zoo Tampa & The Dallas World Aquarium being the only facilities currently holding the species. But, I'm hoping for resurgence in the future with the Houston Zoo planning to acquire shoebills. The goal of this aviary is to have a breeding pair of shoebills. Would it be preferable if there were no other bird species in the aviary with the shoebills, or could other birds coexist with them? If so, what species?

I am eager to discuss and hear your improvements and thank you in advance to everyone who responds!

Bactrian Deer and Osedax like this.
  2. Osedax

Osedax Well-Known Member

Depends how big the aviary is. Bird Paradise in Singapore keeps a Shoebill with many other bird species in an extremely large aviary.

ZooBoy99 and Van Beal like this.
  3. KevinB

KevinB Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Shoebills can be housed with storks and perhaps also other large(r) wading birds like herons, although the size and structure (i.e. areas more difficult for shoebills to access than for other birds) would play a major role in the potential success of such a mix.

ZooBoy99 and Van Beal like this.
  4. I Like Zoos

I Like Zoos Active Member

Shoebills eat small birds

ZooBoy99 likes this.
  5. ZooBoy99

Thank you for the feedback to the Bangweulu Wetlands Aviary! Would non-breeding spoonbills, ibises, and ducks work, if they had areas the shoebills couldn't gain access to? I know the shoebills in Zoo Tampa are currently held with African Spoonbill, Cape Teal, & Black-Bellied Whistling-Duck.

6. I Like Zoos

I Like Zoos Active Member

It would probably work if an AZA zoo is holding them without any problems

7. ZooBoy99

Thank you everyone for the responses! How does everyone feel about this species list for the walkthrough Cerrado aviary?

Species List
    - Wattled Currasow
    - Wood Stork
    - Black-Faced Ibis
    - Southern Lapwing
    - Boat-Billed Heron
    - Golden Conure
    - Andean Cock-Of-The-Rock
    - Green Oropendola
    - Amazonian Motmot
    - Guira Cuckoo
    - American Comb Duck
    - Brazilian Teal
    - White-Faced Whistling Duck

I know it's close to being a copy of the Houston Zoo's savanna aviary, but I'm struggling to think of other birds that could work in this aviary and apart of AZA facilities. Maybe, crested oropendolas instead of green? Would appreciate feedback & improvements!

Van Beal and Osedax like this.