Join our zoo community

Unpopular animals that you like

Discussion in 'Zoo Cafe' started by TheMightyOrca, 11 Jan 2015.

1. TheMightyOrca

TheMightyOrca Well-Known Member

So I actually like seagulls and great-tailed grackles, even though the common birds are seen as pests where I've lived. People haaaate seagulls. I think both birds are pretty neat. (granted, you might be hard-pressed to find an animal I DON'T find interesting in some way) I love photographing seagulls at the beach, lots of nice pictures.

Do you guys actively like any unpopular animals?

2. Teddy Dalton

Teddy Dalton Well-Known Member

many people have a phobia of or a general dislike of reptiles, particularly snakes, I love them they are my favorite animal in the world. I also like vultures which many people don't.

3. OrangePerson

OrangePerson Well-Known Member

I love chimps and they're unpopular on here!

4. LaughingDove

LaughingDove Well-Known Member

I like hooded crows, jackdaws and rooks and they're thought of as annoying by many people because of the noise. I also half like feral pigeons which are hated by almost all people.

5. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member

I'm pretty fond of gulls and corvids myself, in terms of taxa already mentioned in this thread :)

6. Pacarana

Pacarana Well-Known Member

Vultures and rodents are always interesting.

7. AverageWalrus

AverageWalrus Well-Known Member

Some animals include Gulls, most Insects (there are literally people who ive seen scream and run away because of a tiny little cricket), Vultures (my favorite being the King Vulture), Gastropods (ive always had a soft spot for snails), Snakes, and Tarantulas

8. Astrobird

Astrobird Well-Known Member

one of my favourites is the not so humble Rooster (male chicken) I like them, but as I've just found out, my neighbours don't!

9. TheMightyOrca

Snakes are sooo cool. My sister is living with my parents again and she brought her pet ball python and my mom absolutely hates it. I think it's neat and I shared a room with it for a while, and that was fun cause I felt like I was visiting a zoo. (our house hasn't been home to many pets beyond cats and dogs and a few hamsters and fish, so I'm easy to impress in that regard) I got to watch it hunt and eat a rat, it was WAY faster than I expected.

I also think vultures are kind of neat. A year or two ago, I got REALLY close to one that was eating a dead skunk, it was so awesome. (but smelly)

10. DesertRhino150

DesertRhino150 Well-Known Member

Hyenas - I find all four species absolutely fascinating and certainly think the spotted and striped are some of the most interesting and likeable animals around. I genuinely don't understand why people think they are (either all or a combination of) dirty, ugly, cowardly, stupid, malicious scavengers.

MattyP likes this.
  11. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if they are exactly unpopular, but I want to speak up for grebes which are certainly not often seen in zoos (because they are so hard to keep). I will certainly join the supporters of the corvids and, as far as I am concerned, no aquarium can have too many pipefishes.

Alan

12. Elephas Maximus

Elephas Maximus Well-Known Member

Small mammals & invertebrates.

13. Crowthorne

Crowthorne Well-Known Member

Quite like feral pigeons, it's fascinating to watch them and their complex social lives. Also most other urban species, gulls, crows, foxes etc.

14. AverageWalrus

AverageWalrus Well-Known Member

I agree, there is no such thing as too many Pipefish.

15. TheMightyOrca

Speaking of urban species, I'm a big fan of our local raccoons. They're always doing something interesting. I bet more people might like them if they took the time to watch.

16. adrian1963

adrian1963 Well-Known Member

I must admit I get told by many fellow birders that I am a bit strange as I love Gulls (no such thing as a sea gull) and Vultures are the most beautiful birds around mind you any bird is beautiful (at my age lol).

17. Dassie rat

Dassie rat Well-Known Member

My favourite British bird is the pied wagtail. I used to see wagtails quite regularly near my home. I saw one on Wednesday, after several months of not seeing one.

18. Shorts

Shorts Well-Known Member

They are a nice bird, but my experience is the opposite to yours. As a youngster I only ever saw them when I went on holiday to Wales but over the last ten or so years they've moved into my area (Derby) to the extent I see them every week and they seem far more common than sparrows (which used to be more common) nowadays.

19. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member

Pied and Grey Wagtail are both pretty common birds around my neck of the woods :) pretty fond of both of them, as is Helly.

20. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member

Try motorway service stations or supermarket car parks at dusk - they seem to congregate in such places to roost.

Alan