Join our zoo community

Unpopular animals that you like

Discussion in 'Zoo Cafe' started by TheMightyOrca, 11 Jan 2015.

1. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Onychorhynchus coronatus Well-Known Member

Very sad to hear that they gave up on this species.

Do you think there would be a willingness in NZ zoos to keep them again ?

2. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Unfortunately not as the mainstream zoos rarely acquire/reacquire a species unless there’s a supported regional breeding programme in place for it; combined with the reasons it was phased out in the first place (lack of suitability for captivity and display; and lack of appeal to visitors) and it’s scarcity in overseas zoos, I sadly can’t see it making a come back.

The phase out of felids (especially small felids); but also Siberian tiger and Jaguar in the Australasian region has been a sad but inevitable trend.

3. Onychorhynchus coronatus

:( Such a beautiful species, what a shame !

I think I remember reading on the forum that there is a trend towards the species declining in collections in Europe too.

Zoofan15 likes this.
  4. Zoofan15

That’s sadly the case. Belfast Zoo (the last holder of Temminck’s golden cat in the UK and Ireland) have recently sent their pair to Germany and Parc des Félins hold a single elderly female - one of the remnants from Auckland Zoo’s population.

The Tibetan golden cat is in equally dire straits, with a global captive population of eight in 2019 (this may have since decreased).

5. Onychorhynchus coronatus

It looks like the species is in its twilight in zoos in Europe and outside of Asia generally.

Once they are gone I doubt that zoos will make any effort to bring them back.

6. Zoofan15

A contributing factor to their lack of popularity within accredited zoos is that their conservation status is ‘Near Threatened.’

Zoos such as Melbourne have previously outlined their criteria for the species they hold which comprises of their conservation status and whether they’re enabling or the face of a conservation campaign. This similarly led to the phase out of Maned wolf among other species.

7. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Yes, I think you are right that it is probably a contributing factor to the lack of interest by zoos in the species.

Its a shame that these species do get phased out, however, I don't think that the prioritization of species of a higher conservation status by zoos is necessarily a bad thing though.

I think what matters most is that if they are going to prioritize the more endangered species that they ensure both that the ex-situ programmes for these are solid and that there is a long term commitment to these (matched by in-situ).

Zoofan15 likes this.
  8. OstrichMania

OstrichMania Well-Known Member 5+ year member

If we're talking about zoo species, then I respect both Meerkats and Ring-Tailed Lemurs. After finding more about them, I respect their social structure and the way they live, and now I am way more interested in them than I was before.

If we're talking about wild species, then ants. Ants are just fascinating to me, how they are so small yet manage to create such a large community with complex structures and hierarchies.

9. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Meerkats and ring tailed lemurs are only really unpopular here on zoochat and even then have a lot of fans / defenders.

To the general public they are almost a totemic animal.

10. felis silvestris

felis silvestris Well-Known Member

I like rats tbh

red river hog likes this.
  11. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I love grackles and Feral Pigeons.

12. PossumRoach

PossumRoach Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I like or respect some of the animals mentioned on this thread such as gulls and meerkats.

But I think that common brushtail possums are criminally underrated. Sure the NZ invasion does put these animals into negative light (and subject them to trade bans which I personally find erroneous). Their nocturnal behavior, and small litters don’t help them be as common as raccoons and meerkats in many zoos including “beginner” or “roadside” zoos. But I still don’t understand how they are not commonly known to the public outside of Australia. Brushtail possums are worth bumping this thread.

13. ParathePineapple

ParathePineapple Well-Known Member

Personally find it sad how many people call warthogs and other pigs ugly, I think they are very interesting compared to many other ungulates as they some of the only non purely herbivorous ungulates. Also I think that the color of red river hogs are very beautiful. Babirusa also have very interesting tusk shapes. I could go on about how I love this group of animals but in general I just think they are by far over-hated and underrated animals.

Birdsage, IndianRhino and CMP like this.
  14. CMP

CMP Well-Known Member

Many of the sus genus on the southeast asian islands are also very endangered, such as the warty and bearded pigs.

ParathePineapple likes this.
  15. elefante

elefante Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Baby warthogs are so ugly they're cute.

16. Bengal Tiger

Bengal Tiger Well-Known Member

I like nothing alive tbh

17. Sarus Crane

Sarus Crane Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Storks, particularly Leptoptilos and some of the lesser known ibises like Giant Ibis and Southern Bald Ibises. Like others have stated, wild pigs like Bearded and Warthogs as well.

ParathePineapple likes this.
  18. Great Argus

Great Argus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

This reads as you don't like any extant species. Pretty extreme statement if true. ;)

Birdsage and Bengal Tiger like this.
  19. Mr.Ivory

Mr.Ivory Well-Known Member

I love Gaur and Nyala

Last edited: 27 Nov 2021
    Sarus Crane and ParathePineapple like this.
  20. ParathePineapple

ParathePineapple Well-Known Member

Nyala are not bovids, they are antelope.