Join our zoo community

Unusual animals in UK zoos.

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Pertinax, 17 Jun 2007.

1. bongorob

bongorob Well-Known Member 15+ year member

It's strange that you don't like Wapiti because of their name, they are only red deer. I like them.

2. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Wapiti are great- maginificent creatures, but then I'm a deer freak really....
    You should see them rutting in the wild e.g. Yellowstone or somewhere, that call is called 'bugling' and is marvellous when its heard in the right setting.

I'm sorry hardly any zoos, at least in Uk, keep them anymore( because they're not endangered) Its odd too that all the different races of Red deer( that includes Wapiti) not only have different a different appearence, but they have different rutting 'voices' too(includes the smaller red deer races too.)
    E.g. the Indian Hangul looks and sounds very different from the European Red Deer.

3. bongorob

I too miss the wapiti, I would like to see more species of deer than I already have (about 10). I had hoped to have been to Edinburgh by now to look at the white-lipped deer but the bad weather has caused me to postpone my visit.

I know someone who has been to Woburn Deer Park in the autumn and seen the rutting stags, he said it was wonderful.

4. Zoo_Boy

Zoo_Boy Well-Known Member

western plains in dubbo has a nice herd, though i belive they may be the only zoo to o so, a few years back they got a new male for new bloodlines, i belive from a private holder maybe?

5. Pertinax

You don't know what happened to Chester's Wapiti do you? I think I suggested before they may have gone to Flamingo Park(who may still have some) but that's only a guess. The last two zoos with them otherwise would ave been Whipsnade and Chester.

Woburn- have a great display of deer- 9 or 10 species- I've seen everything they have there except possibly the Rusa. Its great in the Autumn, but if you go in July, the Pere David's are rutting then(not in the autumn) and all the females(several hundred) gather together in one enormous herd with a few stags wandering around in the middle with huge tufts of grass on their antlers- quite bizarre. The stags are iron grey- coloured from mud- wallowing, while the females are all buff. And their rutting call-a very odd gurgling noise- it sounds rather like water running down a drain.

Woburn also have some colour varieties of Fallow Deer which don't occur anywhere else- silverblue(very pale) and particoloured.
    The only White-lipped deer I've seen were the ones that were at Rotterdam.

My personal favourite deer species would probably be 1. Swamp and 2. Brow-antlered Deer, followed by other such as Axis, Fallow, etc etc.

6. Pertinax

...... and unlike Hornbill, I've always liked the name 'Wapiti'(much prefer it to 'Elk') and i think it aptly describes their proud appearance- I believe its an American Indian name but I don't know its meaning though....

7. Pertinax

There's fair number of them in New zealand on deer farms, but I guess import restrictions wouldn't allow or exchanges/imports between NZ/ OZ. Does Australia have deer farms like NZ.?

8. bongorob

I'm not sure now but I think Chester's wapiti went to a private collection. The word wapiti is a Shawnee Indian word meaning white rump. I've never used the name elk because it is a different deer in America than in the old world. I always say Wapiti and Moose. I've never thought about my favourite deer, so I'll make a decision now and say it is the Pere David's. The ones I've seen are

Axis Deer
    Bactrian Wapiti
    Burmese Brow-antlered Deer
    Chilean Pudu
    Chinese Water Deer
    Formosan Sika Deer
    Hog Deer
    Indian Muntjac
    Indian Sambar
    Michie's Tufted Deer
    Pere David's Deer
    Philippines Spotted Deer
    Red Deer
    Reeves' Muntjac
    Reindeer
    Swamp Deer
    Wapiti

Also (though not a true deer) Siberian Musk Deer.

I may have seen Moose, but when I first visited Whipsnade I was 3 years old, so I don't remember anything about it.

There is a large population of deer around where I live, though I have never seen one I know many people that have.

9. Pertinax

That's a pretty good list.. I'm racking my brains but I don't think I can better it, apart from the White-lipped Deer..

Where did you see the Bactrian Wapiti- somewhere in Europe?

Wapiti and Moose are the correct terms, Elk being the Eurasian equivalent of 'Moose' Its use in USA started, I think, as hunters' slang.

I do dimly remember the Moose at Whipsnade, I believe now it was the moose which inhabited the same enclosure as is used nowadays by the Reindeer. If the Wapiti weren't in it then they were in another enclosure nearby which has since disappeared.

10. bongorob

Bactrian Wapiti are at Edinburgh, they had 0.3 when I first saw them in 2005, they bred a few last year and currently have 2.6.

I forgot to include Fallow Deer on my list.

11. Pertinax

Bactrian wapiti aren't a species i would have expected Edinburgh to have- there must be someone there who's interested in deer....

12. bongorob

When I went to Edinburgh in 2005 I was talking to a keeper who was looking after the takin. She said the curator was very interested in unusual ungulates and he was looking to see what they could bring in which was not already represented in the UK. She told me serow were expected, which have now arrived. Other Artiodactyls they have acquired recently have been

White-lipped Deer
    Bawean Deer
    Lesser Kudu
    Blue Sheep (now at Highland Wildlife Park)
    Markhor (which were only represented by elderly animals at Blackpool, originated from ZSL I think).

Highland Wildlife Park are exhibiting Moose and Forest Reindeer.

13. Writhedhornbill

Writhedhornbill Well-Known Member

The lesser Kudu are with the Grevy's zebra and Nyala in the sloping paddock near the top of the zoo. The blue sheep were at Edinburgh last time I went, so the move must be Fairly recent.

14. bongorob

I spent ages looking at the big paddock, I never saw one single kudu.

15. Writhedhornbill

Lesser kudu are rare in british zoos
    As are
    Mount apo Lories
    Broad nosed gentle lemurs
    I belive white fronted lemurs are only kept at blackbrook.

Then there are Black mambas at london. London also kept a boomslang, but I belive it is dead.

16. Writhedhornbill

Then there are soo many fish that are only kept at one institution. And sub-species of poison dart frogs. And basically all invertabrates and lower vertabrates seem to be spread around zoos, with only one zoo from each country keeping them.

17. bloodycurtus

bloodycurtus Well-Known Member

cricket st thomas also have white fronted lemurs because they had some of blackbrooks

18. bongorob

Does anyone know the origin of the UK White-fronted Lemurs. Chester obtained theirs from Ravensdan, but thought they may have been hybrids and they left the collection.

19. bloodycurtus

bloodycurtus Well-Known Member

ours came from dr bourne dont know if thats how you spell it? he had a large collection and we got a part of it. as far as i was told ours where though to be some of the only pure white-fronts in the country. how ever for what ever reason these have been reduced to a family group so i think its time to contact the stud book keeper and see about getting new bloodlines.

20. bongorob

Dr Bourne is spelt correctly. So there are some pure bred ones about.