Join our zoo community

Unusual/unique mixed exhibits?

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Dan, 23 Oct 2009.

1. Mickey

Mickey Well-Known Member

Or if you want a guide on how to make carnage between animals in creative ways

2. Sheather

Sheather Well-Known Member 10+ year member

[​IMG]

The jackals were kept with chimpanzees at Taronga Zoo in the 1980's and had access to a small bolt door into a house AFAIK. They constantly antagonized eachother, the jackals chased the chimps and then hid in their house. Eventually a chimp broke into the house and dismembered one of the jackals. I can think of few more inhumane cohabitations tbh.

evilmonkey239 and Mickey like this.
  3. Mickey

Mickey Well-Known Member

Like the hippos and the sea lions? I can't imagine how the hippo murked the poor pinniped

4. Gomphothere

Gomphothere Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The Bronx Zoo's Wild Asia Jungle World exhibit has had gibbons and birds exhibited together for many years, probably since it was opened in 1985. The birds currently on display there range from small passerines to storks. They and the pair of gibbons share a very large area, much of which is fairly densely planted. There are parts of the exhibit to which the birds can go but the which the gibbons cannot reach and even in the main part there are areas in the tree tops where the birds can go but the branches would not support the gibbons.. Even having visited there many dozens of times, I had never thought about the possibility of the gibbons eating a bird. From my research today, it's clear they will eat bird eggs, but I found no mention of their actually eating birds. The only nests I've seen are stork nests, and I have no idea whether they've laid any eggs.

Mr Gharial likes this.
  5. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I've seen quite a few gibbon-bird mixes. As long as the birds have access to lots of areas that the gibbons cannot access it's usually fine.

6. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

Gibbons are well-known as eaters of birds. I've been at a zoo where the Siamang would catch free-roaming Peafowl which landed on top of the enclosure, pull them through the wire in pieces and eat them.

evilmonkey239, FBBird and Batto like this.
  7. Gomphothere

Gomphothere Well-Known Member 5+ year member

!!!!

FBBird likes this.
  8. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I’ve seen Capuchins do that with Jackdaws and Herring Gulls

9. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

10. Junklekitteb

Junklekitteb Well-Known Member

If you simply copied from the list mixes verbatim, of course it would be a useless resource. However there are detailed summaries as well, especially for the bears, which give useful information such as the factors leading to success vs failure, which can be useful since most fantasy zoos I have read seem to disregard such factors entirely.

11. Enzo

Enzo Well-Known Member

Zoológico Nacional de Cuba's open range exhibit is very diverse, havinh some animals not very commonly seen in mixed enclosures. If I recall correctly, the species housed in it are:
    - (Loxodonta africana);
    - (Giraffa reticulata);
    - (Syncerus caffer);
    - (Bos (taurus) indicus));
    - (Taurotragus oryx);
    - (Tragelaphus strepsiceros);
    - (Aepyceros melampus);
    - (Antidorcas marsupialis);
    - (Alcelaphus buselaphus);
    - (Oryx gazella);
    - (Hippopotamus amphibius);
    - (Equus (ferus) caballus);
    - (Equus grevyi);
    - (Equus quagga);
    - (Ceratotherium simmum);
    - (Struthio camelus).
    Other African animals like roan antelope (Hippotragus equinus), scimitar-horned oryx (Oryx dammah) and black rhinos (Diceros bicornis) are also held at the zoo, but in separate exhibits.

Last edited: 27 Oct 2022
    StoppableSan likes this.
  12. Lota lota

Lota lota Well-Known Member

Skansen akvariet keeps Meerkats with Hamadryas baboons

13. elefante

elefante Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The meerkats haven't gotten eaten?

14. Lota lota

Lota lota Well-Known Member

The meerkats actually have their own encloure.There is a distance of 20 feet between the baboon and meerkat enclosures,and the meerkats can acces the babboon enclosure through a tunnel.So he meerkats choose to be in the baboon enclosure, the babbons seem to be just fine with the meerkats being in their space but when the baboons are outside the meerkats keep close to the tunnel opening.So despite being an weekly visitor to the zoo since 2021,I still have yet to witness any aggression between two said species.

15. Nix

Nix Well-Known Member

The Johannesburg Zoo keep a group of Cape Porcupines together with a pair of Cape Eagle Owls.

16. Kristin Rodrigo

Kristin Rodrigo Member

I've seen the Toronto Zoo have ring-tailed lemurs, crowned cranes and Aldabra tortoises in the same exhibit and they get along pretty well. Sometimes the birds get a bit sassy with the lemurs but otherwise, very interesting to see these species all together.

Lota lota likes this.