Join our zoo community

Unusual/unique mixed exhibits?

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Dan, 23 Oct 2009.

1. Cassidy Casuar

Cassidy Casuar Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

Sorry, but I can't find the video any more, no matter what search term I use. It might have been removed due to being considered to be graphic content.
    I didn't watch the whole video. I remember that the gibbon was restraining the (female?) mallard by holding onto one of its wings. At least one of the comments mentioned that the gibbon was biting the mallard.

2. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Onychorhynchus coronatus Well-Known Member

No problem, I was just curious as I know that these kind of incidents in zoos have happened with chimps and many old world and new world monkey species but I just hadn't heard of it with gibbons.

Some gibbon species have been reported preying on nestling birds so I suppose they would be occasional opportunistic predators of birds that entered their enclosures.

3. Breckenridge

Breckenridge Well-Known Member

Do you know if the penguins harass the sharks?

4. BerdNerd

BerdNerd Well-Known Member

Maybe to get rid
    I haven’t seen them doing it, nor have I hear anything about it.

5. Mr Gharial

Mr Gharial Well-Known Member

I think the mix of meerkats and gorillas in Ouwehands is also pretty interesting. As well as the mix of raccoon, striped skunk and harbour seal in WILDLANDS (Which lasted a short while because the seals got sick and the raccoons escaped the enclosure)

Diegooo likes this.
  6. Mr Gharial

Ouwehands also has an interesting mix of Harbour seal, Southern ground hornbill and Greater cormorant

7. KevinB

KevinB Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I understand why one would mix seals with sea or water birds (although that also may not be without possible issues), but the hornbills is just really odd. I guess they probably had no other large aviary space available for them?

StoppableSan likes this.
  8. Sophie Brugmann

Sophie Brugmann Active Member

The Heidelberg Zoo had a genet with their gorillas as a pest control, because they had issues with mice.

9. Mr Gharial

They used to be in an African aviary, maybe they were getting too big or they had issues with the other animals

Ouwehands actually has two house cats on park grounds, one is in the African elephant house (and has befriended one of the elephants), the other roams the park, I once found one of them sleeping in the tortoise enclosure

10. KevinB

KevinB Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I have noticed that quite a few zoos, albeit mostly smaller facilities, keep house cats to help control rodents. I understand that, but at a same time it is a bit of mixed message with regards to native wildlife, like birds.

ThylacineAlive likes this.
  11. Mr Gharial

Correction: Four cats. One in the elephant stables, one in the Giraffe enclosure, one in Urucu (the tropical hall), and one around the Children's farm

StoppableSan likes this.
  12. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey In the Swamp Premium Member 5+ year member

Rainforest Adventures in Pigeon Forge has rock hyrax, patagonian cavy, and button quail all in the same rather small enclosure.

13. Mr Gharial

I have to correct this, the Southern ground hornbills are actually kept behind the wadden aviary with Grey crowned cranes. There's a barely visible separation net. They are kept with 2 crowned cranes

ZTL simply lists them to be together with crowned cranes, making me believe they used to be together with them in the aviary near the giraffe stables, but this was incorrect

14. nczoofan

nczoofan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Red tailed hawk and broad-billed hummingbird at the Fort Worth Zoo a few weeks ago. They also had a Swainson’s hawk with a magnificent hummingbird.

15. janfc1948

janfc1948 Member

Visited my local zoo, Duisburg, yesterday for the first time after three months and I was very suprised to see that they have mixed the gorillas with their lion-tailed macaques. I have never heard of this mixture before. The macaques stayed very close to the entrance of their indoor enclosure and the gorillas seemed to be very curious about them but the macaques were defending their small territory self-confidently. I don't know since when they have been trying to do this mix and though it is geographically incorrect, it is very interesting to see how it will work out.

Attached you can find a bad quality mobile picture.

Attached Files:

snowleopard and HungarianBison like this.
  16. Mr Gharial

Gorillas are mixed with different animals plenty of times, though I haven't heard of macaques before

17. Nix

Nix Well-Known Member

Johannesburg Zoo:

Ring-tailed Coati and 6-banded armadillo

Pretoria Zoo:

Maned Wolf and Hadeda Ibis
    Bactrian Camel and Aldabra Giant tortoise

18. Mr Gharial

Those are very interesting indeed. I assume the hadadas and maned wolves are in an aviary? I think if the ibises were pinioned or wing-clipped they would be hunted

19. Nix

Nix Well-Known Member

Nope, the hadeda ibis are wing clipped though The Maned wolf is coming of age so is a bit lazy and mostly spends his time in the indoor shelter.
    Here is the Exhibit:
    [​IMG]
    You can't see the hadedas but they're in there.

savetherhino and Mr Gharial like this.
  20. Mr Gharial

Zoogarten Magdeburg also has a really interesting mix of African elephant, Impala, Grivet Monkey and Bat-eared fox

Bat-eared Foxes in Elephant Enclosure - ZooChat

As well as a mix of Nubian Ibex, Gelada, Common rock hyrax

AND a walkthrough mixed exhibit with Ruppell's Griffon Vulture, Hooded Vulture, Palm Nut Vulture, Secretary Bird, Yellow Mongoose and Cape Porcupine.

I really need to go to this zoo!

Last edited: 15 Jun 2021
    Tusker and Westcoastperson like this.