Join our zoo community

Up with guppies: inside the explosive world of guppy shows (ok, maybe not explosive)

Discussion in 'Private Collections & Pets' started by DavidBrown, 2 Mar 2012.

1. DavidBrown

DavidBrown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

2. dean

dean Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I read the article DavidBrown and wonderd why are they allowed to import fish into the USa but not Export fish out of the USA? is it a water born problem endemic to the states or what?
    Dean

3. DavidBrown

DavidBrown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Hi Dean, that is a good question and I really don't know the answer. I googled "guppy ban united states" and other similar searches and nothing popped up that said anything about a ban. I am curious about this now too.

4. dean

Thanks DavidBrown I can understand an import ban but not an export one, especially as guppies are not rare or native in the USA or elsewhere for that matter.

5. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

I've never heard of a ban on exporting fish from the USA, recent or otherwise. You obviously need an export permit etc, and some species of fish aren't allowed into some countries, but other than that there shouldn't be any problems. Note the guy in the article isn't saying that guppies specifically aren't allowed to be exported, he seems to be saying that all tropical fish are included in this.

As far as I know the big commercial breeders in Florida still export around the world, so I say the quote in the article is nonsense.

6. Hix

Hix Wildlife Enthusiast and Lover of Islands 15+ year member Premium Member

Parts of the USA has a freshwater alga called Didymosphenia germinata - maybe that has something to do with it? I'm sure Chlidonias knows something about this, as it's been introduced to New Zealand too.

:p

Hix

7. Chlidonias

but something like that wouldn't create a ban on exporting, it would only mean certain countries wouldn't allow importation if they thought there would be a risk (e.g. countries A, B and C would say "we don't want Didymo here, no imports of water-carrying products from the USA shall be allowed", but countries D, E and F would say "we see no risk, import as many fish as you like").

I can't find a single item about a ban on exporting aquarium fish from the USA anywhere. I still say its nonsense.

8. Hix

Hix Wildlife Enthusiast and Lover of Islands 15+ year member Premium Member

Point taken. Was trying to think outside the box but maybe lost sight of the box altogether there!

:p

Hix

9. dean

They also export amphibs etc so i cant see why fish would be problematic, may be the guy was a bit confused about this.
    Thanks for the input anyway guys
    Dean

10. Chlidonias

"the guy" was Stan Shubel, "No. 1 senior judge for the IFGA" [International Fancy Guppy Association!], so you'd think he would know what he was talking about. I checked the IFGA site the other day: it's hard to navigate without being a member but I found nothing about an export ban from the USA.

It is possible there is some sort of refusal from US mail carriers to transport live fish for private persons (e.g. guppy breeders), but that commercial breeders can still do so. That's the only "out" I can think of for Shubel's statement.