Join our zoo community

Fort Worth Zoo Upcoming masterplan completion

Discussion in 'United States' started by loxodontaafrica, 24 Jun 2013.

1. loxodontaafrica

loxodontaafrica Well-Known Member

Although several of Forth Worth's exhibits were constructed in the 90's, they feel increasingly dated... Luckily the zoo is soon embarking on a multi-million dollar (20 year) face lift.

First on the agenda is to turn adjacent soccer fields into a new Savanna enclosure for Giraffe, Ostrich, and Black Rhino.
    The current Savanna will be turned into a secondary elephant yard- with the construction of another Barn (I'm not really sure why?). The second yard will be connected to the current yard by means of an over-head bridge. A feature I'm only aware of at the Denver zoo at present. Elephants are receiving the first of the improvements by 2016 to comply with the PC management mandate- and allow space for up to three calves expected in the next 2-4 years.

Indian Rhinoceros will enjoy a yard expansion

While the common hippo will be moved else where in the zoo (the soccer fields as well?) and receive a larger enclosure with underwater viewing.

2. jbnbsn99

jbnbsn99 Well-Known Member

Interesting about the soccer fields. I seem to remember that in the last contract with the city, the soccer fields were ruled our as a possible expansion area. I guess it helps to have friends who own the city...

A new barn is desperately needed, as the old one is far too small, and may not meet the AZA requirements.

3. TeamTapir223

TeamTapir223 Well-Known Member

Glad to hear about the hippo exhibit ! Fort Worth's current hippo exhibit is one of the worst around !

Team Tapir223

4. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Conflicting news: is the elephant area first or is it the savannah exhibit?

5. uszoo

uszoo Well-Known Member

Thank god the elephants will recieve a major expansion as there exhibit is puny along with the adjacant hippo exhibit.

6. jbnbsn99

i did a quick and rough analysis of the adjacent soccer fields on SketchUp, and the site for the proposed expansion is right at 10 acres. With a site that large and excluding elephants, they could have the potential for a really nice African savanna with some interesting species.

7. DavidBrown

DavidBrown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Are they switching from Asian to African elephants?

8. jbnbsn99

No, sticking with Asian. It looks like the elephants will take over what is now the savanna, and a new savanna will be built.