Join our zoo community

Upcoming US Exhibits List

Discussion in 'United States' started by picklepaige24, 2 Nov 2014.

1. picklepaige24

picklepaige24 Member

Thought it would be nice to have a single thread to list the upcoming exhibits in the US. Feel free to post here about upcoming exhibits in either your zoo, or zoos you know about. It doesn't matter how big or small the exhibit is, or when it is opening, please post it here!

Off the top of my head:

Memphis Zoo: Zambezi River (featuring updated exhibits for Nile hippos, flamingos, Nile crocodiles, and bringing in mandrills and okapi as new species)

Pueblo Zoo: new exhibit for African wild dogs, DeBrazza's monkeys, meerkats, and African crested porcupine

Cheyenne Mountain Zoo: rehaul of their Australia exhibit, including bringing in a new, unannounced species

Very small list, I know. Feel free to add your own!

2. bigfoot410

bigfoot410 Well-Known Member

2015 will also see the renovation of the Bronx Zoo's Children's Zoo with some new species (pudu, sloth, giant anteater).

I think San Diego Zoo's Amur leopard and snow leopard exhibits by Panda Trek is supposed to open next year.

And Fresno Chaffee Zoo's Africa exhibit with giraffe, rhino, ostrich, antelope, meerkat, cheetah, vultures, lion and African Elephants.

I know there are probably several more coming.

3. bigfoot410

bigfoot410 Well-Known Member

Elephant Lands in the Oregon Zoo looks like a great exhibit and will see if it can appease some of the critics of housing elephants in captivity.

Detroit Zoo Penguin Conservation Center is supposed to open in late 2015.

4. BeardsleyZooFan

BeardsleyZooFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Beardsley Zoo will hopefully open their Pampas Plains exhibit this year, which will consist of the current Maned Wolf exhibit, new exhibits for Greater Rheas and Chacoan Peccaries, and bringing in Giant Anteaters as a new species.
    I believe Minnesota Zoo will welcome Hawaiian Monk Seals into their former Bottlenose Dolphin exhibit.
    Erie Zoo will open new exhibits for Canada Lynx and Amur Leopards.
    Saint Louis Zoo expects to complete McDonnell Polar Bear Point in 2015.

5. Milwaukee Man

Milwaukee Man Well-Known Member 10+ year member

A few more exhibits coming in 2015:

*Arctic Passage at Henry Vilas Zoo (new home for harbor seals, and the return of polar and grizzly bears)

*A new second entrance complex at Milwaukee County Zoo (complete with a new North American river otter exhibit)

*I believe Phase 2 of Bamboo Forest Reserve at Woodland Park Zoo (sloth bears and Malayan tigers)

*I believe Arctic Edge at Buffalo Zoo (polar bear, Canadian lynx, bald eagle, and wolf)

*Gorilla habitat at Houston Zoo

6. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Phoenix Zoo was supposed to start construction on new Sumatran tiger complex a couple years ago. They keep pushing it back, but I assume construction will finally begin sometime in 2015.

Reid Park Zoo recently raised funds for a new gibbon exhibit with no timeframe announced. I would hope to see construction start before the end of 2015.

The Living Desert has had a sign for a while on the site of the future lion exhibit. Still no dates given for start of construction.

Zoo Miami has started construction on a Florida themed area (but completion is a couple years out I think).

Houston Zoo is well into construction on what promises to be a truly stellar gorilla exhibit. I believe it opens in 2015.