Join our zoo community

Chester Zoo update on Chester's Orangutans.

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Pertinax, 11 May 2007.

1. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The older Sumatran female offspring 'Jambi' has been sent to Budapest Zoo. That's why they shown as 3.3 on the lists, (and not because one died.) The older male offspring 'Padang' is alsodesignated to go to Frankfurt at some stage, so the Sumatran group will be reduced to 5, the adult trio plus the two younger babies.

Two new Bornean orangs, a male and female, are designated to come from European(Antwerp and Koln) zoos but this is still being decided on and may or may not happen.

2. Writhedhornbill

Writhedhornbill Well-Known Member

It would be good if they did come over as chester has not bred borneans in ages. Was Jambi Subis's baby? She's my favourite orang.

3. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I can't remember which offspring belonged to which mother. Regarding the Borneans, they can't breed without a male so will have to get a new one at some stage.

P.S. It WOULD be good if you could start an English speaking/ UK/European Zoo Forum- hopefully more people would exchange zoonews from this region on it without upsetting those guys 'downunder'.....:)

4. Writhedhornbill

I have already done so. It is not as good but is alright for the puposes of our use. I will keep posting on this forum, although not as much!!

5. MARK

MARK Well-Known Member

are you going to add some animal pics on your new site?

6. Writhedhornbill

I don't know. First I'll have to have some new members. The only members at present are my friends from school.

7. orang09

orang09 Well-Known Member

how did you find out about jambi moving zoo and has it been confermed that a new male and female are on there way to chester zoo ? i thught a new male arrived called tuan like at monkey world !

8. Nigel

Nigel Well-Known Member

seperate zoo websites

If you set up a seperate website , thats your decision , and I hope it goes well for you .
    But even though I am Down Under , I still like to read whats going on in zoos like Chester , London , Blackpool etc . There are only 4 decent zoos in NZ , and not that many more in Australia ....Please keep posting news from "Up Over" , as they are as valid as any other post to do with zoos !

It was the posting of UK zoo events into posts that were about Melbourne Zoo or whatever ( as an example ) and basically became a wake up call to all of us to try to keep to the subject of the post being discussed .
    As there has been more attempt by people to keep to the topic or start new threads , the issue has cooled off somewhat .

9. Writhedhornbill

Chester now has 1.3 registered to ISIS from the bornean sub species and 3.3 for the sumatrans.