Join our zoo community

ZSL Whipsnade Zoo update on whipsnade asian elephants

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by orang09, 23 Dec 2007.

1. Yassa

Yassa Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Thanks for the info!

Given that Aziza comes from London, I guess she`s living together with Mya, while Kaylee could be together with Lucha, who has been with her in Whipsnade since many years. It`s sad that the 2 mothers don`t come along with each other and that the calves can`t be together, but unfortunately it`s a common problem that introducing adult female elephants doesn`t work out in long term.

2. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Yassa- actually I have a feeling the keepers told me it was not what you'd expect- each 'pair' of friends was actually one ex London and one Whipsnade female. I'm not sure on this though....

I do know that the Tywcross female was with the Aziza 'group' though..

Maybe someone else can confirm the above?

3. orang09

orang09 Well-Known Member

I thought it was differnt

azizah , euan , new born , kaylee , leelee

mya , Karishma and lucha rotate once at a time with the adult and babie groups

but now with the new born it could be all change - whipsnade are hoping to breed from karishma and lucha soon

4. Pertinax

okay, you're saying they rotate them more than I thought. I have NEVER seen them in the indoor area though since they've been breeding, so I don't know in what combinations they are kept then. On my last visit Karishma was in the Aziza 'group' while I didn't see the female calf at all as Kaylee and her companion female were in a paddock which is virtually out of sight for the public- it is in a field behind the bull's sand paddock, and screened by a hedge and trees....

How are they going to get Lucha to breed? Does that mean they think Mya is a non-breeder?

5. MARK

MARK Well-Known Member

Are the two adult females which have not bred to date still a prospect for breeding?

6. Pertinax

Well Mark, I think not but maybe Orange09 knows some more on this....

7. Yassa

Mya should be too old for a first calf now and isn`t Lucha still carrying the body of her calf who died in utero in 2002? Then I can`t see how she could get pregnant again. But maybe she expelled the fetus, then a new pregnancy should be possible.

8. taun

taun Well-Known Member

Surely they would of made attempts to get the body out? :confused:

9. Yassa

I am sure they tried, but I have no idea if they were sucessful. I hope one of our members here knows more! Same for the social problems between the female elephants - seems to be pretty complicated.

10. Pertinax

I knew nothing about Lucha still being 'pregnant'- the calf must be mummified or -as said above- she would have died years ago? It doesn't sound like she is a good prospect for breeding in this condition..

What SHOULD happen is these two non-breeding females be exchanged for the four still at Twycross, so Twycross just exhibits non-breeders (I wish) but I accept that they have bonds with the other females at Whipsnade so they will probably never leave...

11. CZJimmy

CZJimmy Well-Known Member

I hadn't seen it reported until it was posted on youtube, but Whipsnade have had a White Rhino calf born last month...

Last edited by a moderator: 6 Jul 2017