Join our zoo community

Uploading Files

Discussion in 'ZooChat Community & Website' started by AmbikaFan, 17 Aug 2019.

1. AmbikaFan

AmbikaFan Well-Known Member

A mod suggested I post this question here for some suggestions. When I've tried to use the "upload file" button, I've always gotten a red and black oval saying "Error" and something like the file couldn't be loaded. Granted, several were long stories with photos or actual photos or even a snap of Google Earth, all pdf files, and I had to post by copying a link. Today, however, I tried to upload a short news article, certain that this, if anything, should be easy enough. No. This time the message was "ERROR File Too Large.". Ambikafan Error is always a strong possibility with such things, but if I can't get it to accept short textual articles, I suspect it may be more than me.

Any ideas?

2. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Are you talking about uploading them to ZooChat? I thought upload file was just for photos (presumably JPEG format). I don't think it's for text. And if it's an article someone else wrote you are not supposed to upload it anyway. You are just supposed to write a short one or two sentence summary and then provide a link to the original article.

3. AmbikaFan

Lol. No, I'm not planning to plagiarize. These were pictures, one snap of Google Earth, and links to news articles, some containing pictures. Perhaps if it's just meant for photos, that's where I'm going wrong, but I was trying for the Google Earth shot after someone had successfully posted one. It just didn't work for me, whether I tried to upload from a text or downloaded link, so I just had to cut-and-paste the link without getting the actual image.

4. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

It's kind of a gray area, because technically you are only allowed to upload photos you have taken yourself (or that someone gave you express permission to use). But Google Earth is kind of available to anyone so maybe it's ok if there is a valid reason to post it? If you did you would need to do a screen shot and then save it as a JPEG (I think).

5. AmbikaFan

Thanks! I'll have to try that! The photos were from zoo newsletters that would have carried the credit. I teach English at the college level, so theft of intellectual property is not something I take lightly!

6. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I might not exactly understand what type of info you would want to upload, but there is no need to upload such pictures or news articles, as that is often even in breach with copyright, as these will then be hosted on the zoochat forum server. A better way is to simply link to the news article in question or picture and type a few sentences explaining what it is about. In this way all the essential information is on the forum, but if somebody wants more information he can click on the link.

7. AmbikaFan

Well, that is just what I ended up doing. But I really wanted to get the Google Earth snap in my post! After someone had previously managed it, I was so eager to show my findings!

8. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Administrator Staff Member 20+ year member

There is a maximum attachment size of 2MB for forum posts, which isn't very much - large images are likely to be much more than that.

The other thing you can do is to upload it to the gallery first - the size limits are more generous there, since the gallery software will automatically resize the image. Obviously, the file has to be in JPG or PNG format before it can be uploaded to the gallery. You can then embed the image into your post from the gallery.

We do have a special gallery category for uploading random images that are to be embedded into forum posts and don't fit into any of the zoo specific galleries - upload it here: https://www.zoochat.com/community/media/categories/forum-posts.3139/

@AmbikaFan if you still have difficulty, you can email me the image to the support email address below in my signature block and I'll take a look at whether it's a problem with the file or something else.

9. AmbikaFan

Thank you! This gives me loads of possibilities. Would this be how a Google Earth image could be posted? I had discovered massive temporary aviaries at NZP'S Bird House Reno, and no one believes me without the image lol. Others had just posted from Google Earth, and I couldn't do it myself.