Join our zoo community

US F&W Seeks CITES LISTING for Snapping Turtles, 3 Softshells: Do you Agree?

Discussion in 'Wildlife & Nature Conservation' started by findi, 17 Dec 2014.

Tags:
  1. findi

findi Well-Known Member

Hi, Frank Indiviglio here. I’m a herpetologist, zoologist, and book author, recently retired from a career spent at several zoos, aquariums, and museums, including over 20 years with the Bronx Zoo
    The US Fish & Wildlife Service is currently (December, 2014) seeking Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species (CITES) protection for the Common Snapping Turtle and the Florida, Spiny, and Smooth Softshell Turtles. Each is being collected from the wild in ever increasing numbers and exported to Asian food and medicinal markets. With so many Asian species having been decimated by over-collection (please see article below), pressure on US species will surely increase. While several of the turtles involved are perceived to be common, recent export figures are grim. For example, approximately 2,178,000 live, wild-caught Snapping Turtles were exported from the USA between 2009 and 2011 (this excludes processed meat and eggs). Read the rest of this article here CITES Listing Sought for Snapping Turtles, 3 Softshells: Do You Agree?
    Please also check out my posts on Twitter http://bitly.com/JP27Nj and Facebook http://on.fb.me/KckP1m

My Bio, with photos of animals I’ve been lucky enough to work with: That Pet Place Welcomes Frank Indiviglio | That Reptile Blog

Best Regards, Frank

2. Hix

Hix Wildlife Enthusiast and Lover of Islands 15+ year member Premium Member

Based only on the information provided in the link, I would think that CITES listing was certainly necessary, even if it is only Appendix III. At least then the international trade would be monitored. The information reported at this stage may be an under-representation, and CITES monitoring may paint a more dire picture.

If I had a say in the matter I would heartily endorse the application for listing.

:p

Hix

3. findi

findi Well-Known Member

Much appreciated, best, Frank