Join our zoo community

US riots and affect on zoos?

Discussion in 'United States' started by TheEthiopianWolf03, 29 May 2020.

1. TheEthiopianWolf03

TheEthiopianWolf03 Well-Known Member

For those who don't know, the past two days have been riddled with mass protests that became full blown riots as a result of the murder of George Floyd by the police. While this is a very sensitive subject it is worth noting that the rioters are doing damage to property and burning buidlings especially in Minneapolis. Has there been any word on property damage done to any of the zoos in America? I have only heard rumors of something happening to Como park zoo but I do not think it is true. Anyone in cities seeing protest know anything about your local zoos?

2. bgeezle513

bgeezle513 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Really?

3. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I hadn't heard about this.

4. MidwestFan

MidwestFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

From what I have seen, the protests in St. Paul have been primarily near the capital/downtown area, which is some distance from Como Park.

TheEthiopianWolf03 likes this.
  5. TheEthiopianWolf03

I haven’t heard anything go on in Wisconsin and it seems like the media is very limited on information.

Then more likely than not what I heard was just a rumor. I’m still a bit worried about some of the other zoos because the damage to a lot of the property seems pretty destructive and if this were to happen to any of the zoos I am not to sure they could rebuild.

6. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I would have heard about if it went into Wisconsin, however it certainly has the potential too it it's in Minneapolis.

There really aren't any zoos in the downtown Minneapolis area. As long as the riots don't spread I wouldn't worry.

7. nczoofan

nczoofan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Honestly I would believe the zoo has some of the least risk among any institutions of government. Any time we see protests at cultural institutions they are to my knowledge peaceful. Also individuals mad about social injustices in society are still individuals and as such have a general respect for animals. If zoos get affected, then these limited instances of violence have become far wider spread, and then we have major issues of human life to focus on.

Rioting and violent protests happen all over the globe, in most countries more frequently than here. And we generally don’t ask questions about how these will affect zoos and the animals safety.

Neil chace, Deerfad, Jambo and 10 others like this.
  8. NSU42

NSU42 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Haven't heard anything about either zoo. Like others have said, Como is not very close to where everything is taking place in St. Paul and Minneapolis, however it did spread a bit to Northtown Mall in Blaine, which is not even an inner ring suburb so it definitely could spread.

Minnesota Zoo isn't near any place that would be a target of rioting so I don't think there is much concern there. They'd have to target the zoo specifically, which isn't unheard of but probably unlikely.

9. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Onychorhynchus coronatus Well-Known Member

The only time you really tend to hear about direct damage being done to zoos is either when :

1. Civil order / society breaks down when a country becomes a war zone.

2. When some psychopathic youths enter after dark with sadistic designs on animals.

3. When a protest is actually about the zoo itself and directed by animal rights organizations (and even then it doesn't tend to escalate to vandalism but rather staged protest and disruptions).

I don't think that this outbreak of rioting would impact zoos or that they would be targeted really as this is a situation that has arisen from something totally different and totally out of the social contexts listed above.

I mean what would be the motive in attacking the local zoo when there are far more likely and vulnerable targets that do provoke collective rage such as police stations , barracks , banks , courts and government buildings ?

Last edited: 29 May 2020
  10. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Agree with what everyone said. I lived in Los Angeles when the Rodney King riots took place and the zoo was unaffected.

11. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Onychorhynchus coronatus Well-Known Member

I think sometimes there can be sort of opportunistic "smash and grab" type situations similar to what occurs in museums with the theft of antiquities to sell on the black market.

But again this kind of phenomenon mostly seems to emerge as a result of massive breakdowns in civil order like wars or other societal breakdown like revolutions or the collapse of a regime or government (i.e. Afghanistan , Iraq , Syria , Venezuela , Palestine, former Yugoslavia etc.).

In spite of everything going on and these dark times we are experiencing I really don't think the United States has quite entered that stage of total collapse / point of no return yet.

Arizona Docent likes this.
  12. Sotolo

Sotolo Active Member

Although the Como Zoo seems to be far enough from the areas that were most active, I am not 100% sure that nothing will happen at Como.

Last edited by a moderator: 30 May 2020
  13. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I agree that zoos being affected by the current violence and unrest in Minnesota is highly unlikely to target any zoos. Zoos in the US are usually not part of the administration nor seen to be closely associated with officialdom. I cannot think why those protesting democratically nor those involved in the city street rioting would even come close to seeing a zoo as a legitimate target.

I suppose that concludes any useful discussion of zoos being affected vis a vis the Minneapolis violence and current civil unrest.

14. Jungle Man

Jungle Man Well-Known Member

15. TheEthiopianWolf03

Its good to hear that no zoos have been harmed so far. While I am relieved for now as the violence grows and the anger continues to grow across the nation I can only wonder how long will zoos be safe for.

Last edited by a moderator: 1 Jun 2020
  16. TheEthiopianWolf03

Well since this kind of applies...Some people decided to scare the police and say that one of the tigers in Oakland zoo got out of its exhibit. The zoo confirmed that none of their animals got out.

17. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member

ZooBinh likes this.
  18. Smaggledagle

Smaggledagle Well-Known Member

19. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member

This has not been covered much in the news (and not mentioned in the zoo's social media) but I looked at Twitter and Facebook and found lots of posts calling for the 'release the animals" at the Bronx Zoo or "don't release the animals." So people are thinking about it at least!

20. TinoPup

TinoPup Well-Known Member 5+ year member