Join our zoo community

US zoos closed due to COVID-19 and duration

Discussion in 'United States' started by Great Argus, 12 Mar 2020.

1. Imperator Furiosa

Imperator Furiosa Well-Known Member

A few updates to report on today:
    • Turtle Bay Exploration Park, originally set to reopen 03/31, remains closed until further notice
    • All SeaWorld and Busch Gardens parks, originally set to reopen 03/31, remain closed until further notice
    • Santa Barbara Museum of Natural History, originally set to reopen 03/31, has extended it's closure through 04/30
    • All Disney parks, originally set to reopen 03/31, remain closed until further notice
    • Miller Park Zoo, originally set to reopen 03/31, has extended it's closure through 05/01
    • Yellowstone Wildlife Sanctuary, originally set to reopen 03/31, has extended it's closure through 04/12
    • Aquarium of Niagara, originally set to reopen 03/28, remains closed until further notice
    • Austin Aquarium and San Antonio Aquarium are closed until further notice
    • Zootah is closed until further notice
    This update marks 354 facilities in the US known to be temporarily closed directly due to Covid-19, 1 permanent closure where Covid-19 may have been a contributing factor, and at least 14 facilities that remain publicly open to some extent.

I recommend referring to the spreadsheet before posting about a facility being closed as it's most likely already been documented. The spreadsheet is updated multiple times a day.

Arizona Docent and TinoPup like this.
  2. TinoPup

TinoPup Well-Known Member 5+ year member

American West Heritage Center in Utah is still open for drive-through visits for their "Baby Animal Days" with baby bison and baby bears.

3. Imperator Furiosa

Updates to report on today:
    • Sacramento Zoo, originally set to reopen 03/31, remains closed until further notice
    • Brevard Zoo, originally set to reopen 03/30, remains closed until further notice
    • Florida Aquarium, originally set to reopen 03/29, has extended it's closure through 05/10
    • Safari Zoological Park remains open by appointment only through 04/05
    • Cleveland Metroparks Zoo, originally set to reopen 03/31, remains closed until further notice
    • Save the Bay Exploration Center & Aquarium, originally set to reopen 03/29, has extended it's closure through 04/10
    • Ellen Trout Zoo, originally set to reopen 03/30, remains closed until further notice
    • Heritage Park Zoological Sanctuary has closed their gift shop until further notice
    • American West Heritage Center will only offer drive-through visits until further notice. All public restrooms are closed, as is their concessions stand
    • The following SeaQuest locations are closed until further notice: Las Vegas, Fort Worth, Littleton, Folsom, Roseville, Trumbull, Lynchburg, Woodbridge
    This update marks 363 facilities in the US known to be temporarily closed directly due to Covid-19, 1 permanent closure where Covid-19 may have been a contributing factor, and at least 15 facilities that remain publicly open to some extent.

TinoPup likes this.
  4. TinoPup

The cops shut down Wynnewood today. The owner claims he's going to have a phone call with the governor tomorrow and get it re-opened because it's essential :rolleyes:

5. Great Argus

Great Argus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Thinks he's better than San Diego, DWA, Omaha, Bronx, and Disney apparently... :p:rolleyes:

TinoPup likes this.
  6. AmbikaFan

AmbikaFan Well-Known Member

Neither NZP nor WCS has contacted me about extending my membership or soliciting donations.

This list is entirely US-based. What about Canada? Are facilities like African Lion Safari open?

7. Great Argus

Great Argus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

That is interesting, most AZA facilities have extended memberships. I think it's a good gesture overall.

When I started the thread only a few US zoos had closed, and at the time I didn't think to add Canadian facilities. I've heard reports of quite a few of the facilities have indeed closed, but I haven't checked any of their actual websites or social media.

8. TZDugong

TZDugong Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I’m not entirely sure about the west coast Canadian zoos, but at least on the east coast no zoos are open. After I had to cancel my USA trip, I looked into going somewhere in Canada but all the zoos either hadn’t opened for the season or closed due to Covid-19.

9. Imperator Furiosa

I could always add Canadian facilities to the Google Sheet File, it wouldn't be much work since I'd essentially just copy the US sheet and change it.
    Let's hope it's a permanent closure ;)

10. TinoPup

I wish! But I doubt that would happen, unfortunately :( He did get told by the AG today that he needs to stay closed and isn't essential.

Great Argus and AmbikaFan like this.
  11. ZooNerd1234

ZooNerd1234 Well-Known Member

Did swine flu close zoos?

12. PossumRoach

PossumRoach Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Not swine flu or the US but I heard of several zoos in Japan that have pigs in petting zoos having to close over cholera.

13. Imperator Furiosa

I'm not aware of any in the US that closed. However, this is a very different situation than the 2009 H1N1 pandemic. Covid-19 is much more virulent (as evidenced by the high R0 number) and potentially has a much higher case fatality rate than the flu.

14. ZooNerd1234

That’s what I thought thanks

15. Imperator Furiosa

After taking a short break on daily updates (not much new news to report on those days) here are the latest updates:
    • Sitka Sound Science Center, initially set to reopen 03/31, remains closed until further notice
    • Wildlife World Zoo, Aquarium & Safari Park is closed until further notice
    • Living Desert Zoo & Gardens, initially set to reopen 04/01, remains closed until further notice
    • San Diego Zoo and San Diego Safari Park, originally set to reopen 04/01, remain closed until further notice
    • Six Flags Discovery Kingdom and Six Flags Great Adventure & Safari, originally set to reopen 03/31, have extended their closure through Mid-May (no date given)
    • Cheyenne Mountain Zoo, originally set to reopen 04/01, has extended it's closure through 04/17
    • Georgia Aquarium, originally set to reopen 03/28, remains closed until further notice
    • Lee Richardson Zoo has closed drive-through access and Wild Asia until further notice. The zoo remains open to pedestrians
    • Great Bend-Brit Spaugh Zoo is closed until further notice
    • K-State Insect Zoo, originally set to reopen 03/31, remains closed until further notice
    • BREC's Baton Rouge Zoo, originally set to reopen 04/01, remains closed until further notice
    • Dickerson Park Zoo, originally set to reopen 04/01, has extended it's closure through 04/24
    • Kansas City Zoo, originally set to reopen 04/01, remains closed until further notice
    • Hattiesburg Zoo, originally set to reopen 03/31, remains closed until further notice
    • Red River Zoo, originally set to reopen 03/31, remains closed until further notice
    • Cleveland Metroparks Zoo, originally set to reopen 03/31, remains closed until further notice
    • Toledo Zoo & Aquarium, originally set to reopen 04/01, remains closed until further notice
    • National Aviary, originally set to reopen 03/31, has extended it's closure through 04/30
    • Electric City Aquarium & Reptile Den, originally set to reopen 04/01, remains closed until further notice
    • Texas State Aquarium, originally set to reopen 04/01, has extended it's closure through 04/17
    • The Texas Zoo, originally set to reopen 04/01, remains closed until further notice
    • Big Cat Rescue is closed until further notice
    • OBX Lizard Land is only open to supply feeders until further notice. No tours of the reptile exhibits will be happening until further notice
    This update marks 367 facilities in the US known to be temporarily closed directly due to Covid-19, 1 permanent closure where Covid-19 may have been a contributing factor, and at least 15 facilities that remain publicly open to some extent.

TinoPup likes this.
  16. TinoPup

A place called Zoo'Opolis in Indiana is still open.

17. ZooNerd1234

Are they aza?

18. pachyderm pro

pachyderm pro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

No.

TinoPup likes this.
  19. ZooNerd1234

They don’t play by the rules then

20. pachyderm pro

pachyderm pro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

That's not how this works. It's not just AZA zoos that are closing, it depends on the rules the state has put in place. For example, only essentially business are open in Illinois, forcing all zoos to close. I'm not sure if that same order is in place in Indiana. This has nothing to do with AZA accreditation.