Join our zoo community

US zoos closed due to COVID-19 and duration

Discussion in 'United States' started by Great Argus, 12 Mar 2020.

1. ZooNerd1234

ZooNerd1234 Well-Known Member

Dude sarcasm forget it

2. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member

3. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I FOUND A ZOO THAT'S OPEN (maybe). It is possible that parts of the zoo portion of Bay Beach Wildlife Sanctuary are open. Not the buildings, of course, but I think most or all of the outdoor areas may be open. I'll go and investigate soon. If there's someone in the area who really itching to go to a zoo, it might be worth checking out.

4. pachyderm pro

pachyderm pro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Even if there is a zoo that is even partially open, going to any non essential public facility is not something that anyone should be doing. The zoos will still be here when this is all over. It sounds like the stay at home order is likely being extended soon, so better safe than sorry.

TZDugong, nczoofan and TinoPup like this.
  5. birdsandbats

Assuming you maintain social distancing, it's no different than going for a walk, which is actually recommended by most health officials and the government.

Wisconsin just DID extend the stay at home order, too, but did nothing to stop going for a walk outside.

6. Andrew Swales

Andrew Swales Well-Known Member

Absolutely.

In the UK you are not allowed to drive - and then go for a walk, or walk the dog or cycle.

Bizarrely it is the car-driving part of this which has been banned, not the exercising part - despite the fact that pretty much all car drivers are either own their own or with just their own family!

The UK restrictions seem to have been deliberately designed to hurt zoos as much as possible.

As pictures in the media show, you are allowed to queue up and look at London Zoos giraffes from outside their fence for free, but not pay and look at them from inside it...!

7. TinoPup

TinoPup Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Zoo'Opolis got shut down and they, uh, have feelings about it. Note that this is in all caps on their website, thankfully copy/paste reverted it back.

Temporarily Closed
    Zoo’Opolis adjusted to offering only private guided tours. Guests, were monitored for distancing, they sanitize before the tour began,several times (5-8x) during,after,and then upon leaving. Grocery stores don’t ensure you sanitize while putting an item back. Zoo’Opolis could have easily been used as a public asset for the mentally, emotionally, and people particularly challenged that this time of crisis to “stay at home”. Animals are calming. There is no guide ensuring distancing at State Parks, or any of the stores while you are shopping. Open does not mean we will get any guests, but there was hope. I want to provide for the animals. Being forced closed means finality, failure, forced poverty and loss. 100 mouths is a lot. I can not imagine George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, or Abe Lincoln solving a crisis, affecting 100 animals, and when it is brought to their attention, the authorities simply state I wish you well, (reach out for donations) go beg.
    e-mail ((government person)) if you think under some “safe” criteria we should open, bringing in a trickle of income and therefore able to provide minimally for the animals while providing a essential safe place to go during this time of crisis.

8. Great Argus

Great Argus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Well, somebody was feeling grouchy. They could use some writing tips too.

ZooBinh and TinoPup like this.
  9. Zooplantman

Well, assuming that all you do at the zoo is stroll about, not stopping at viewing areas if anyone else is there, not touching rails or glass, not buying refreshments, not stopping in a bathroom, avoiding any viewing "caves". Other than that the two activities are indistinguishable

TinoPup likes this.
  10. Zooplantman

From their Facebook page:
    "ALL of our buildings are remaining closed, as are our live animal exhibits, there will be no corn sales, and no public restrooms available at this time. There will still be no programs, events, or rentals of any of our facilities until further notice. It is important to note that the ONLY way we can continue to keep these trails open is if we ALL practice safety and social distancing together. "

11. birdsandbats

Luckily, there are no viewing caves or refreshment stands at this zoo. Touching things that someone else might touch is an issue that always exists when walking outside. But talking with others who have been there recently I can confirm that parts of the zoo are open. Only the buildings and bird of prey sections are closed (although that leaves only 5 exhibits left).

12. TinoPup

A local traveling/teaching zoo is doing something interesting! They're partnering with a brewery and doing a mini drive-through zoo in their parking lot. They'll have a sloth, armadillo, kangaroo, porcupine, and owl. Tickets have time slots and at the end you get a goodie bag with a little adoption kit for one species and a metal straw.

13. Gabby

Gabby Member

I have been thinking a lot about how zoos will be able to open safely and responsibly down the line. At the zoo where I volunteer in unit and on the grounds, it would be impossible to expect social distancing in the exhibit areas as everyone, particularly children, cluster around an interactive ape or a new baby or a favorite cat or pair of rhinos not seen in a long time.
    I wonder too how docents, most of whom are seniors, can safely return to help children examine bone clones of skulls, pelts, and other exhibit items.
    I can imagine that there could be private tours, but I think that would be a huge disappointment to members, for access to be metered out in that way.

14. TinoPup

Guess who decided to open his zoo today, even though the state's governor was only allowing public parks and "personal care businesses" (by appointment only) to :rolleyes:

15. Andrew Swales

Andrew Swales Well-Known Member

Please explain. We are a collating all the information we can find, about what is being done in other countries - and I dont know what this refers to.

16. TinoPup

Greater Wynnewood Exotic Animal Park (the zoo from "Tiger King"). He's already gotten in trouble with the law multiple times for trying to claim he's an "essential business" and keeping the place open.

Andrew Swales likes this.
  17. Zooplantman

Well given how some seem to feel that "Tiger King" is essential entertainment he might have a point, of sorts :confused:

TinoPup likes this.
  18. TinoPup

Lowe 100% agrees with you

19. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Onychorhynchus coronatus Well-Known Member

Maybe he mistook "essential entertainment" for being a total joke as a human being. The joke is on him...Court jesters may have been useful during medieval times during the black death but just wont do in todays world and pandemic. We have the concept of germ theory now even though some countries dont seem to comprehend it very well.

Last edited: 25 Apr 2020
    TinoPup likes this.
  20. TinoPup

He doesn't care at all. He's been going to wal-mart most days, taking photos posing with people.