Join our zoo community

USA Cat Births 2020

Discussion in 'United States' started by Arizona Docent, 12 Apr 2020.

Tags:
  1. TinoPup

TinoPup Well-Known Member 5+ year member

ZooAmerica has 3 Canada lynx kittens, their first. They were born April 17, haven't been sexed yet. The zoo opens the 22nd and the cubs are in the exhibit, but they likely won't be visible for a while; the house faces the back of the enclosure and there's lots of vegetation in the summer. ZooAmerica Welcomes Three Adorable Canada Lynx Kittens

2. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Coelacanth18 and Jungle Man like this.
  3. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

4. Ann Esther Sprizzo

Ann Esther Sprizzo Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Jungle Man and Arizona Docent like this.
  5. savetherhino

savetherhino Well-Known Member 10+ year member

A female snow leopard cub was born on 5/11 at the Milwaukee County Zoo to mom Orya and dad Asa.

6. TinoPup

Jungle Man likes this.
  7. Okapi Lover

Okapi Lover Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The Southwick's Zoo in Massachusetts had these two cheetah cubs in late May. The staff said that they were not born there but were unsure where they had been born. They also were unsure of age (more precisely they gave an unrealistic estimate of age - I don't recall exactly what it was), but I'm sure some viewers will be able to estimate age from the photo.

TinoPup likes this.
  8. TinoPup

Well that's weird as heck. Southwick is super shady with their cheetahs. I've worked hard on locating all of the cheetahs in the USA, using the studbook (goes to Dec 2018), then social media, etc. to ID them all. All 3 of their adults have "unkown" listed for their parents (only 4 other cats in the USA have an unknown parent), their birth/origin location is "unknown", as well. Very few cats outside of Africa have an "unknown" origin, as most countries require imports to be 3 generations captive bred. (Unknown is different from Wild)
    They of course know, they're just refusing to share that with even the cheetah studbook.
    I'd guess 5 months for age.

9. Okapi Lover

There are a lot of things about Southwick that are a bit shady in that sort of way. I don't personally care enough to pay the $50 for a membership, but if you're particularly interested, it does appear that the ZAA (of which Southwick's is a member) has a cheetah animal management plan: Zoological Association of America - AMP Programs, which may contain more information about their cheetahs. (It appears that an individual member would have access to these documents, but I've never seen anyone confirm this for ZAA).

TinoPup and Jungle Man like this.
  10. TinoPup

I actually didn't know about that, thanks! I'll have to ask around and see if anyone knows what info is available. The studbook is maintained by the Cheetah Conservation Fund and is worldwide, goes back to the 1800s, etc; it's probably one of the most comprehensive out there. Southwick, Frank Buck, and DAK are the only places I've been unable to find basic info for.

11. Arizona Docent

For a zoo (Southwick's) to say they don't know where their cheetahs were born is pure garbage. I could believe this for any other big cat but not for cheetah. They are exceedingly difficult to breed and I am virtually certain that none are born outside of the eight or so established AZA breeding centers. If I had to guess I would say these were surplus from that breeding program but the place that supplied them asked not to be named so they would not get in trouble with the AZA for sending cats to a non-AZA facility.

Okapi Lover, Jungle Man and TinoPup like this.
  12. TinoPup

9 AZA breeding centers, plus ~3 non-AZA (all ZAA). I don't think they came from AZA, they're too well documented. My hypothesis is parents are from a certain place that closed.

13. Echobeast

Echobeast Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Or that particular staff member was not sure where the cubs were born. Sometimes that info just isn't relevant to every staff that works at a zoo.

Jungle Man and Okapi Lover like this.
  14. Okapi Lover

This is almost certainly the case. I did not encounter any staff who actually looked like they would be likely to know (keepers, etc.). It was education staff who are likely to be seasonal and not informed about such things.

Jungle Man likes this.
  15. PSO

PSO Well-Known Member

Most likely the cheetahs either came from Fossil Rim or Metro Richmond

16. TinoPup

Read my post again - their adults are even listed as having an unknown origin in the stud book.

They did not come from Fossil Rim.

17. Echobeast

Echobeast Well-Known Member 5+ year member

There could be multiple reasons for that. You’d probably know better than me though. All I was saying is that particular staff member probably wasn’t aware of where the cubs came from

Okapi Lover likes this.
  18. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Certainly not LEO? Afaik all of their cubs were publicly sent to other named facilities (and at least two went to South Africa).

~Thylo

19. TinoPup

I have 3 that are unaccounted for.

20. Arizona Docent