Join our zoo community

USA Today Poll: Best ZooLights

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Arizona Docent, 13 Nov 2020.

1. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

2. imaginarius

imaginarius Well-Known Member

I saw that on my zoo’s twitter feed. How many zoos do holiday lights now? Is this becoming a pretty common trend everywhere?

3. TinoPup

TinoPup Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Are there ones that don't at this point?

4. imaginarius

imaginarius Well-Known Member

I’ve never gone to a zoo during the holiday season, so this is the first I’ve heard of it. Maybe I’m just behind the times..

5. TinoPup

I follow a lot of zoos on social media, plus get e-mails for a bunch, and I can't think of any that aren't doing something. Even roadside-type zoos are putting on big displays these days. It brings in a lot of people, including ones that might not normally go to a zoo but want to see a bunch of lights.

6. Arizona Docent

It is becoming quite common. However I find it surprising that so many zoos are still doing it this year with Covid-19. This week it has come out in the news that USA is at an all time high of cases, worse than during the initial spring lockdowns. I personally don't think it's a good idea to forge ahead. There are suggestions of lockdowns and I wonder if some of these zoos that are already setting up lights will be forced to close their programs due to city or county or state mandates.

TinoPup likes this.
  7. TinoPup

I think a lot of places are hoping they can recoup some of the money they lost from being closed in spring/summer. I've noticed quite a few zoos that normally close for the year in Oct are still open, and are doing christmas programs this year. It's doable if they force people to distance, but few places are willing to do that on the best days. I'm curious what the profit margin is with admitting a fraction of the people and still having all of the electricity bills, rental fees, landscaping fees, etc.

Arizona Docent likes this.
  8. Arizona Docent

I am sure they want to make up lost money. However whether people are willing to distance (and wear face masks) is debatable. The reason we are in a crisis at the moment is because too many people were stupid over the summer. Sadly there is no cure for stupidity.