Join our zoo community

Vancouver Aquarium Vancouver Aquarium News 2016-2017

Discussion in 'Canada' started by TZFan, 27 Dec 2015.

1. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

2. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

3. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

4. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

Chester, the False Killer Whale, died yesterday. The information below was copied and pasted from an email sent out by the Vancouver Aquarium.

[​IMG]
    Dear Friends,

Many of you are familiar with the amazing rescue story of Chester, the false killer whale calf who stranded at Chesterman beach in Tofino in July 2014. The odds were stacked against him from the beginning. He had less than a 10 percent chance of survival, but our Marine Mammal Rescue team transported him back to the Rescue Centre, where dedicated staff and volunteers cared for him twenty-four hours a day for months.

After he was deemed non-releasable by Fisheries and Oceans Canada and moved to the Vancouver Aquarium, Chester became a beloved member of our family. He delighted and inspired four million people in the past three years. His distinct personality was a draw for many who developed a strong connection with him.

False killer whales are not local to our waters and very little about them is known globally. For three years, Chester has contributed invaluable learning opportunities to veterinarians, scientists and students around the world.

We are deeply saddened to announce his passing this morning.

As a stranded calf, Chester’s health was compromised from the beginning and he faced challenges over the years. Regular health checks and assessments are part of the care for every animal at the Aquarium and Chester was looking well earlier this week. However, his behaviour changed Wednesday afternoon. Despite intensive overnight care Wednesday and Thursday, Chester passed away early this morning.

Chester was about a month old when he was found; a still nursing calf with no sign of his mother. He was in extremely poor shape with lacerations and wounds along his body. Because he was so young when he was found, his lack of life skills would have most certainly have meant his death in the wild. He did not know how to forage for food or avoid predators.

The professional team at the Aquarium provided Chester with the world-class care that enabled him to survive for 3 ½ years.

At this difficult time, we are taking comfort in the fact that we gave Chester a second chance at life and the memories of watching him grow and mature. We cherish these memories and hope you do too.

Today and for the next few days, our team will be dedicating our time with Helen, our Pacific white-sided dolphin to help her adjust to the change. We encourage you to share your memories of Chester.

Yours,

John Nightingale, PhD
    President & CEO

5. TheMightyOrca

TheMightyOrca Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I'm sad to hear that he died, I followed his rescue and they worked so hard to help him. I wonder what they're going to do about Helen, they can't keep her alone for too long.

6. geomorph

geomorph Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

I am glad I got to see Chester this summer during my visit in July.

7. TZFan

TZFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Last edited: 2 Dec 2017
    snowleopard likes this.