Join our zoo community

Vancouver Aquarium Vancouver Aquarium News 2018-19

Discussion in 'Canada' started by snowleopard, 18 Jan 2018.

1. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member Premium Member

There will be no more whales and dolphins at Vancouver Aquarium and here are a couple of excerpts from a news release sent to my email due to the fact that I have a membership at the aquarium:

#1:

I want you to be among the first to know that we will continue our commitment to ocean conservation, including through expanded public engagement, but we will do so without the display of whales or dolphins at the Vancouver Aquarium.

#2:

As one of only a few organizations around the globe working on Arctic issues, we are moving ahead with construction on Canada’s Arctic gallery. The transformed habitat will engage visitors about Canada’s fragile North and will introduce them to amazing marine life – from coldwater corals to Arctic pinnipeds such as seals and walruses. We anticipate starting construction in September 2018 and opening this new, permanent exhibit in late 2019.

Wyman likes this.
  2. Newzooboy

Newzooboy Well-Known Member

So what about the existing cetacean species - False Killer Whale? Are the dolphins and porpoise gone now?

3. snowleopard

False Killer Whale is deceased.
    Harbour Porpoises are deceased.
    There is only a single cetacean (a female Pacific White-Sided Dolphin) and the aquarium has yet to decide on her future. A transfer to another institution is the likely occurrence.

Wyman likes this.
  4. Newzooboy

Newzooboy Well-Known Member

Thanks SL.........a shame imo............I loved my visit to the aquarium mainly owing to close up views of Beluga, Harbour Porpoise and White-sided Dolphin. I never saw the FKW, but was hoping to in the future. Shame he didn't survive long.

5. snowleopard

John Nightingale, director of the Vancouver Aquarium, has announced that he will retire at the end of this year. Somewhat incredibly, the aquarium has only had two directors in the 62 years of its existence! Murray Newman led the facility for 37 years and John Nightingale has been the leader for the past 25 years. Who can fill those shoes?

Loxodonta Cobra likes this.
  6. TZFan

TZFan Well-Known Member

The aquarium has sent out their head vet, Dr. Martin Haulena, to help in the efforts to save wild orca J50/Scarlet. He successfully delivered medication via dart yesterday and is monitoring the situation and any attempts to feed the young female medicated live salmon. Yet another reason why the aquarium is so vital!

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  7. TZFan

TZFan Well-Known Member

8. TZFan

TZFan Well-Known Member

9. snowleopard

Kifaru Bwana likes this.