Join our zoo community

Very Exotic Shape/Size/Colour of Tropical Animal, Present Yours?

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Nikola Chavkosk, 25 Sep 2016.

1. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

2. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

3. vogelcommando

No, I realy thought it was something real..... :(.

4. Kakapo

Kakapo Well-Known Member

FunkyGibbon and birdsandbats like this.
  5. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

6. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Onychorhynchus coronatus Well-Known Member

I dont really understand the specifics of what you mean in your question Nikola , but if the question is to the effect of "what is the tropical animal with the most exotic looking appearance / what animals appearance invokes the exotic and tropical to you ? " then for me it is an easy but subjective answer because most of the mammals , reptiles and amphibians are kind of drab coloured and the colours tend to not be so variable or striking.

The group that comes immediately to my mind are the birds of the neotropics. Specifically the tanagers and particularly the green headed tanager , red necked tanager and seven coloured tanager they always look to me as if they could have been painted by Matisse or Picasso. Also there are other neotropical birds like the macaws , amazon parrots , toucans , manakins, cotingas and the royal flycatcher which also have very "exotic" appearances.

The birds of Papua New Guinea and Australia like the birds of paradise, cassowary , cockatoos , lorikeets and eclectus parrots also have this sort of "exotic" aura to me in terms of their plumage or other characteristics like in the case of the cassowary its size , casque, and the colour of its skin.

Having said that there are amphibians such as the poison dart frogs of the dendrobatidae family like the golden poison frog, strawberry poison dart frog , blue poison dart frog and the yellow banded poison dart frog which are also very evocative to me subjectively of the tropics and the "exotic".

Last edited: 26 Nov 2019
  7. vogelcommando