Join our zoo community

very successful breeders

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Monty, 15 Jul 2006.

1. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Mesopotamiam captive-breeding

Monty,

The main population for captive breeding is yet the Jerusalem herd as well as the semi captive herd at Hai Bar Carmel. From here reintroduction to several localities within the historical range of Mesopotamian fallow deer has proceeded. The Jerusalem herd is an integral part of the EEP. In 2004 growth was exponantial (6.6.2) to 55.86.2 individuals.

In its homerange the Iranian captive-breeding project is led by the Dasht-e-Naz center in central Iran. In Dasht-e-Naz 28 individuals were held (2003 figures). Reintroduced populations exist in Ashk island (211 deer in 2003), Urumiyeh National Park. Other localities are Semeshkandeh (the Kronberg Opel Zoo line), Dez and Kharkheh Wildlife Refuges (wild populations), Miankotal enclosure in Arjan Protected Area, Parishan Protected Area and another island in Urumiyeh National Park. Unfortunately no population estimates here and the species is currently listed as Vulnerable. The Dama dama are listed as Low Risk\conservation dependent (the Turkish nominate species).

The Iranians treat all wild breeding populations as pure-bred and the first batch to Semeshkandeh as hybrids. However this is based on the misconception that the deer were bred to an unrelated Dama dama stag. This individual and its descendants have been excluded from the later Kronberg Zoo breeding group. So, all captive deer within the EEP are to be treated as pure-bred stock.

Jelle

2. ZYBen

ZYBen Well-Known Member

Sorry to bump an old topic, but monty if you see this, a freind of mine saw some blackbuck for sale, $350 a pair, in a LIvestock Journal, on this note again, i think if rhea were bred more readily they would be another species that would go well, There were COmmon Rhea at Gorge Wildlife PArk great little guys,

3. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Perhaps the hybrid Persian/european fallow at Monarto which originated 'from Germany' are descended from the original Kronberg stock too?

4. patrick

patrick Well-Known Member

greater rhea...

ben its ironic that you mention rhea in a thread titled "very successful breeders". apparently, greater rhea in our region are experiencing almost 0% fertility with their eggs due to a long history of inbreeding. it looks like they are set to die out. a tradgedy since not only are they a facinating ratite in their own right, but also that they have so much potential in future south american grassland exhibits. capybara and ginat anteater both feature in long-term collection plans and along with our resident brazilian tapirs and a healthy rhea population would make one of the best mixed-species exhibits seen in the region. a large, free ranging bird species or two always adds a bit of flavour to a scence.....

its a shame.

5. Jarkari

Jarkari Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Licences to keep animals privately

Hey Monty,
    If you don't mind my asking, what state would you be planning to keep the animals in. In New South Wales they don't really have private zoos that aren't open to the public. the few that are around were there before a few changes were made in the law (like the Bullens) who are not covered by the same strict rules as zoos because they do not display their animals to the public. I do however know that if you have a convincing enough argument and proof that you can care for the animals then you can get a permit through NSW DPI's Pest Management officer. If you want more information let me know. I also saw earlier in this post something about zoos not being permitted to hold certain species. The main problem animals the DPI oin NSW has is with "prescribed pecies" these are animals that pose a threat to public and keep safety, basically your big carnies. I have here an "Form D: Application for a permit to exhibit a prescribed species" and it seems quite easy to get permission to do this. I have to call The DPI's Animal Welfare Team (the bunch that licence zoos in NSW.) to talkto the project officer a bit later this week so if you have any questions that you might want me to ask him let me know by private message. Oh and the animal welfare team does not govern the keeping of exotic animals privately. that's aa guy out at dubbo. He deals with Pest animals.

6. Monty

Monty Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I am in NSW.

I currently have more deer than I would like, due to the drought.

I was not planning on doing anthing at the moment but was tempted the other day when I saw Water Buffalo advertised in the weekly times for $100 each.

7. Zoo_Boy

Zoo_Boy Well-Known Member

hay i have missed something, monty do you keep exotic species, what do you have, just fallows, or other species, what aniamls do you keep on would i say farm!

8. Monty

We have mainly sheep, but have had a lot of fallow deer and have a few cattle and my brothers race horses.

I got up to 1,200 does fawning so with fawns young does and breeding bucks I had over 3000 deer at one time. I now have under 500 does and their fawns. Once the fawns are old enought to wean I will probobly sell all the does. The fawns will be kept so it will be two years until the doe half has their own fawns.

Depending on how the drought goes and what venison prices do I will either breed up my numbers again or reduce numbers to hobby numbers. I will always keep at least 50 as I like fallow deer. I am still interested in running other species with the deer as an added interest.

Wisp O' Mist likes this.
  9. Zoo_Boy

Zoo_Boy Well-Known Member

kool, i have been doing some reading into the deer markets for agriculture, its interesting, and it defintally is a niche market, but with some promise. so is your enterprise just venison, or you do velvet as well?

10. Monty

I cut velvet once and sold it when the price was good but it is not worth much now.Fallow deer cut around 600 grams of velvet when it is at the top quality stage so the price needs to be high to make it worthwhile. I now cut their antlers off once they harden which stops them injuring themselfs or getting tangled in things.

Venison prices have dropped from $5 kg to about $2.50. We are getting more now selling to a processer in South Australia who sells to resturents all over Australia.

Wisp O' Mist likes this.