Join our zoo community

Vinpearl Safari Vinpearl Safari Phu Quoc

Discussion in 'Vietnam' started by kiang, 20 Nov 2015.

1. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

A new safari park is opening in Vietnam.
    Due to open 24th December.
    It consists of two main parts: the Open Zoo and the Safari Park, accommodating more than 2,000 domestic and foreign animals of 140 species, and some 400 species of flora.
    So far, three flights have been deployed to transfer rare animals from the US, Europe and South Africa to the park.
    There will be five more flights to be carried out until the inauguration of the facility.

Vinpearl Safari Phu Quoc welcomes 200 rare animals - News VietNamNet

2. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

interesting. The link in the post above has some photos of the new arrivals, including giraffes, eland and bongos. The park will be a day zoo and night safari (similar to Singapore's Night Safari).

Their website features some unexpected animals (with stock photos) such as klipspringer, okapi, pigmy hippo.
    Vinpearl Safari | Chào m?ng ??n v?i Vinpearl Safari

3. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Further searching on the website (in Chil's link) also mentions Douc Langurs :rolleyes:

Me thinks the species list might turn out to be just a wish list....

4. Chlidonias

a lot of it may be wish-list species. However doucs are not really a problem for a Vietnamese collection to obtain. They are in a number of zoos (legally) and many are also held illegally as pets.

The silvered langurs noted on the website will likely be Indochinese silvered langurs (Trachypithecus germaini) which are found wild on the island.

5. Zooish

Zooish Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Douc langurs would not be difficult to obtain in Vietnam (as Chli mentioned). I would be very very surprised though if they can obtain Okapi legally.

6. Chlidonias

okapi were the only really iffy one for me too. The articles say that animals for the zoo are being flown in from Europe, USA and South Africa. I seriously doubt any okapi would be coming to Vietnam from either Europe or North America, and South Africa (Pretoria Zoo) only has two.

However, Yokohama had something like five a few years ago I think, and Ueno had one as well, so it is possible they could obtain one from Japan.

VinPearl obviously have a lot of money as well... so if they are getting okapi, maybe they have just papered their way from central Africa.

7. jwer

jwer Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Are there any in captivity in central Africa? I thought the only one that had them is that place in virunga that got raided and all the animals (and keepers) got killed. They would be even harder to obtain from the wild, since they are rare, elusive and shy.

8. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Sadly not much native wildlife it appears. Even the tiger is listed as Bengal as opposed to the native Indochinese.

9. Chlidonias

yes you are correct. For some reason I had remembered it as none of the okapi having been killed, but in fact all of them were.

10. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I suppose / assume their okapi will come from SSP sources or Japan.

From their website one may conclude they seem to have a real conservation brief and that also relates to local native Vietnam wildlife. It is an area that needs looking into in Vietnam's zoos.

11. Loxodonta Cobra

Loxodonta Cobra Well-Known Member 5+ year member

12. clm1950

clm1950 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

13. devilfish

devilfish Well-Known Member

I loved that on one of the links, the label for a Lady Amherst's pheasant translates to 'Haemorrhoids emperor'. :)

FunkyGibbon likes this.
  14. kiang

Well they do actually seem to have obtained klipspringers, going by the photos, very ambitious.

15. Chlidonias

oh those are so cute! I don't believe I have ever seen klipspringers in real life before. I am definitely going to this zoo next time I'm in Vietnam.

The text of Loxodonta's linked article above in post #11, courtesy of Google Translate (both links are of the same article):

16. kiang

Their website is now showing them as holding Indian wild ass (Equus hemionus khur), admittedly with a photo of a Somali wild ass!!

17. Loxodonta Cobra

Loxodonta Cobra Well-Known Member 5+ year member

18. Chlidonias

if I am reading Google Translate correctly, this is phase one which has opened, covering 380 hectares with a safari section and a walk-through zoo section, and already home to over 3000 animals of 150 species.

"Especially Phu Quoc Safari Vinpearl owns collections of rare animals in large numbers in Vietnam as 200 individuals flamingos , 100 rhinos , giraffes 60 ..."

"Besides tourism , Vinpearl Safari also aims to become the 2nd largest zoos in the world to conserve the wealth of natural capital , to raise awareness and to coordinate actions in the field of wildlife conservation local , and the visual aids for educational activities ."

"May 10/2015 , Vinpearl Safari became a member of the Association of South East Asian Zoo ( SEAZA ) ."

19. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Their quoted plans for local wildlife seem interesting and hopefully may raise the general level of zoo management in Vietnam.

I am a bit perturbed though by the "journo" errors in quoted numbers of species in the collection. Whereas, I know these adventure safari parks in the region generally are known to import insane numbers of hoof stock, I am a bit skeptical on e.g. the rhinos part (and to a lesser extent 60 giraffe …).

20. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member