Join our zoo community

Vinpearl Safari Vinpearl Safari Phu Quoc

Discussion in 'Vietnam' started by kiang, 20 Nov 2015.

1. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Chli, I did try to engage with the South African rhino group once on captive rhinos going to South East Asia and sadly they did not heed the arguments that I came up with re captive-breeding.

I do recognise that the South African CITES trade is far more heavily in favour of economic output over verifying whether recipients are able to accomodate and manage the rhinos offered ... But that surely is no reason to come up with some of these wild and baseless accusations. Rather I would have just concrete fact over fiction or subjective assessments.

2. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

3. Kifaru Bwana

I know. No rhinos can be exported without a CITES permit from South Africa. To my knowledge that does not happen ...

The only discrepancies may be on the importer's side.

But, I remain convinced that most if not all rhinos exported over the last 5-6 years to Vietnam are in fact perfectly legal. In this, you will have to take what has been written in the press with more than a pinch of salt ...

4. vogelcommando

5. Kifaru Bwana

It is hard to make out what is fact or fiction in this entire report. It is full of claims and accusations, yet little corroborating evidence.

Not to say something ain't right ...! There IS something ... going on for sure. But, I just don't know and cannot make up my mind on this one report alone.

6. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

7. vogelcommando

8. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

just over a year later - today they have 14 rhino (and I was told they are importing 86 more in the next couple of months because they want 100 of them - but this may be unlikely to happen); 40 giraffes, including a number visible out back which have been recently imported from Africa (there were about twenty on show - I think the number given for those just imported was 22); and 180 zebras. That is not a typo. One hundred and eighty zebras. I had stopped counting after seventy, and there were still dozens more, so I asked the bus guide how many of each of these animals they have.

I'll hopefully be writing up my review today.

9. Kifaru Bwana

What on Earth a safari park and another wildlife park in Vietnam will do with 86 rhinos is anybody's guess. Both the number involved and the conditions in which these are housed remain a cause for concern.

BTW: also the wildlife numbers imported for the various species is insane and seems on the premise of immediately showing off numbers as if on a big escape safari down Africa ways irrespective of whether adequate accomodations, good husbandry protocols and sound animal management and custodianship are in place. Worrying ..., is all I can say.

Be looking forward to your review.

10. FunkyGibbon

FunkyGibbon Well-Known Member

I can't think of a single enclosure that could hold 180 effectively. It would be like looking at a bucket of mice.

The safari feels like you are driving through a zoo rather than a western safari park.

11. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

I couldn't work out from your review how the enclosures were set out on the safari.

Now you go first through one for sika, sambar and blackbuck; then the tigers (five); then another lot of tigers (this used to be the water buffalo enclosure); then the lions; then the white rhinos; (the huge flock of ostrich was visible behind here but the bus didn't go through them, so not sure if they were now blocked off or what); then the African antelope and giraffe area (waterbuck, impala, eland, gemsbok, etc); and lastly zebra and eland (ending at the smaller giraffe enclosure by the Giraffe Restaurant).

If you were looking at the map, I'd say basically the whole bottom-left quarter of the safari area is zebra.