Join our zoo community

Virginia Living Museum Virginia Living Museum News

Discussion in 'United States' started by drill, 26 Dec 2019.

1. drill

drill Well-Known Member

Additions since my last visit are Eastern chicken turtle, Northern red salamander, and Five-lined skink. In other news, the owl exhibit is under renovation and Lion's mane jellyfish are back on display.

Kifaru Bwana and TinoPup like this.
  2. TinoPup

TinoPup Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Good timing, I'm going there some time in the next week :)

3. drill

drill Well-Known Member

Have a good time. Aviary is the best.

4. drill

drill Well-Known Member

Changes since my last visit: owls have been replaced by Luna moths. Unsigned Woodchuck next to opossum exhibit. I think they got a new Great blue heron. Juvenile Brown pelican also on exhibit.

Jungle Man likes this.
  5. drill

drill Well-Known Member

Changes since my last visit: there are new exhibits for seahorse and honeybee. The eastern newt was replaced by crayfish. There is a Laughing gull in the aviary. The Woodrat, corn snake, raccoon, flying squirrel, bald eagle, and I think a few others were off exhibit.

Smaggledagle likes this.
  6. TinoPup

They haven't had woodrats in years. It's domestic rats in the exhibit.

7. drill

drill Well-Known Member

By the empty house mouse or packrats?

8. Smaggledagle

Smaggledagle Well-Known Member

Other 2022 News:

On March 20th, it was reported that the museum acquired a (0.1) eastern rat snake (albino) named Pearl after she was found in a farmer's chicken coop.

https://www.wtkr.com/news/albino-rat-snake-pearl-finds-new-home-at-virginia-living-museum

On April 20th, the museum announced that their (1.0) two-headed red-eared slider named Twinx passed away on April 14th due to natural causes.

登录 Facebook

On May 4th, the museum announced that a (1.0) bald eagle named G.I. Joe and a (1.0) great blue heron named Blue passed away recently.

登录 Facebook

On July 17th, the museum announced that a (1.0) American "calico" lobster named Freckles passed away.

登录 Facebook

On July 31st, the museum announced they moved their (1.0) common snapping turtle named Bowser to a new exhibit outside the building opposite the bee entrance. He previously shared an exhibit with the facility's American alligator.

Meet BOWSER - Eastern Snapping Turtle (or Common Snapping Turtle, Weighs about 35-40lbs, and is 20 years young! Those of you that have frequented... | By The Virginia Living Museum | Facebook

On August 9th, the museum announced that (0.0.2+) Cope's grey treefrogs were hatched.

登录 Facebook

On October 11th, the museum announced they renovated the eastern hellbender exhibit.

登录 Facebook

On October 21st, it was announced that (0.2) Carolina anoles named Nora and Natalie were transferred to the Western North Carolina Nature Center in North Carolina.

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=472930274870159&set=a.216608793835643

9. Smaggledagle

On January 31st, 2023, the museum announced that they moved (0.0.2?) marbled salamanders on exhibit the week prior.

登录 Facebook

DartFrog likes this.
  10. Smaggledagle

On March 9th, the museum announced that they acquired a (1.0) northern raccoon named Edgar from an unspecified wildlife rehabilitator which is now on exhibit.

EDGAR | Meet Edgar! Staff have been hard at work getting Edgar settled into life at the Virginia Living Museum with the first priority being to build a... | By Virginia Living Museum | Facebook

On June 6th, the museum announced that a (0.0.1+?) water scorpion (species not specified) hatched.

Recently the first water scorpion... - Virginia Living Museum

On June 23rd, the museum announced that they will be acquiring 3 unspecified species of trout which will be going on exhibit in the Mountain Cove Habitarium exhibit.

Be on the lookout for trout! Next month the Museum will welcome three species of trout to reside in the Mountain Cove Habitarium in the Museum's main building! To prepare, the aquarium's team has cleaned the exhibits from top to bottom to ensure the fish are introduced to a clean and healthy environment! You may also notice that the two hellbenders, North America's largest amphibians, will not be in their enclosure in the Habitarium. Amphibians are very sensitive to water chemistry. To ensure their safety and well-being during the cleaning process, they have been temporarily moved to another space. The trout and hellbenders will be out for our guests to view very soon! Scan or screenshot the QR code to reserve tickets! | Virginia Living Museum

On July 13th, the museum announced that they acquired a (1.0) bald eagle.

The Virginia Living Museum is... - Virginia Living Museum

On August 21st, the museum announced that they opened a new exhibit for its common snapping turtle to the public.

Exciting News! Introducing our... - Virginia Living Museum

Astrotom3000 likes this.
  11. Smaggledagle

On August 24th, the museum announced that the bald eagle, which was going to be named Apollo, passed away due to complications from a fungal infection.

We are saddened to share the loss... - Virginia Living Museum

On September 14th, the museum announced they opened a new exhibit for its southern flying squirrels.

Get ready to embark on an... - Virginia Living Museum

12. Astrotom3000

Astrotom3000 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Was Apollo their only Bald Eagle? I never saw any Bald Eagles on my visit.

Also, were the squirrels in another exhibit? There was an empty terrarium next to the tree frog exhibit that looked like it would have held an arboreal mammal due to the presence of a small shift door.

13. Smaggledagle

I believe Apollo was their only eagle at the time.

Astrotom3000 likes this.
  14. TinoPup

The squirrels were by the frogs, yeah.

They had two eagles on my visit a few years ago, I think. I imagine it'll be fairly easy for them to get a new one that can't be released.

Astrotom3000 likes this.
  15. BunnyOmega

BunnyOmega New Member

Unfortunately, Apollo never made it on exhibit :(

They also lost Coco, their Bobcat. She had to be put down for medical reasons. She lived a longer life then expected though!

16. TinoPup

Do they have a new bobcat now or is the exhibit empty?

BunnyOmega and Astrotom3000 like this.
  17. BunnyOmega

BunnyOmega New Member

They're doing some construction, so there is currently no bobcat exhibit at all. I know they have Sarge as an ambassador animal, so if they were to put another bobcat on exhibit it would most likely be him.

TinoPup likes this.
  18. TinoPup

Thanks! It should be fairly easy to get another if they go that route.

19. Smaggledagle

BunnyOmega and TinoPup like this.
  20. Smaggledagle

On December 13th, the museum announced that (0.0.2+) Cope's grey treefrogs hatched.

Virginia Living Museum

On December 20th, the museum announced they moved their (1.0) bobcat Sarge behind the vulture exhibit which is now open.

Virginia Living Museum

TinoPup likes this.