Join our zoo community

Virginia Zoo Virginia Zoo News

Discussion in 'United States' started by blospz, 3 Jun 2012.

1. blospz

blospz Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I figured I would start a news thread since this zoo did not one. I know that sun bears came from the Woodland Park Zoo in late March. The plan was that they were supposed to replace the binturongs in their exhibit. I asked on their facebook page if they are on view and they said that the bears did have access to their exhibit. However, there has been no news release or changes on their website announcing these new additions. I am just curious when they will be on display and where did the binturongs end up.

2. blospz

For those who also may be interested, after talking with a couple of people, here is what I found out. The sun bears are in the old binturong exhibit. The binturongs are off exhibit and they are building an exhibit for them which should be completed in a month's time or so. I will be sure to take and post photos of each exhibit next month when I go there.

StoppableSan likes this.
  3. ANyhuis

ANyhuis Well-Known Member

I was just at this zoo a week ago and I can confirm what you said. I saw one very reluctant sun bear in a large netted enclosure. By reluctant, I mean that he was sitting directly below the elevated visitor walkway, very close to his door to the indoor area. There was a keeper there, watching him from below, and he told us that the sun bears (he said there was more than the one we could see) were still getting used to their new habitat, thus their reluctance.

Further on this trail, across from the Malayan tapirs, I saw what looked like an exhibit area with a large tree in the middle -- but no animals. When another keeper walked by, I asked her and she said they were building a habitat for the bingturongs there.

All in all, I was very impressed with both the Zoo's Asian and African exhibit areas. Both have quite natural animal habitats with plenty of room for the animals. I love the elevated boardwalk viewing for visitors, and I'm a huge fan of the cultural "theming" that this zoo uses for both Asia and Africa.

4. blospz

Thank you for this information. I was wondering if the sun bears were hiding when I got the reply, "they do have access to their exhibit." Perhaps they haven't announced their arrival at the zoo because they are not that visible. I am very excited to visit this zoo as it looks like they have a very solid Asian and African section.

5. blospz

Quick question, looking at the map across from the tapirs looks like where the red pandas used to be. Did they get moved?

6. team tapir

team tapir Well-Known Member

Hopefully they have not moved them there red panda exhibit was very cool.The boardwalk basically splits the red pandas exhibit and the pandas can cross either side of its enclosure via trees branches over top of you.

Team Tapir

7. team tapir

team tapir Well-Known Member

We think the exhibit you are speaking of is the Asiatic Black Bear exhibit and it sounds like they are converting it into the new Bingturong exhibit this is definately not the red panda exhibit.

Team Tapir

8. blospz

I spoke with one of our fellow zoochatters who has friends working at the zoo and he said that the binturongs are not taking the place of the red pandas or Asian bears. He said with the board walk, it leave small spaces for them to put up a new exhibit. So it sounds like its a new section between the bears and red pandas.

9. ANyhuis

OK, I didn't mean exactly across from the tapirs, but somewhere near them. I was going off of my memory.

10. mweb08

mweb08 Well-Known Member

I recall some empty space by the hornbill exhibit.

11. blospz

12. ANyhuis

This is a big deal for these orangutans, as I was told that they've come from the Brookfield Zoo (in the Chicago area), where they were exhibited in Tropic World, a completely indoor habitat. For that reason, these apes will not be too happy about very hot or cold weather.

13. blospz

I think it's wonderful they finally have access to the outside. I do hope the adjust to the changing of the temperatures.

14. BeardsleyZooFan

BeardsleyZooFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

15. blospz

Have you gone out at all? I feel like I saw a recent photo of them on their platforms.

16. TropicWorld54

TropicWorld54 Well-Known Member

Does any one know how many they got from Brookfield Zoo. And if they got the orangutans from Brookfield Zoo did a young (I think 2 year old) orangutan come to this zoo.

17. fkalltheway

fkalltheway Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Virginia Zoo has 2 orangutans currently, Pepper and Schnitz. Pepper is 32 and Schnitz is 30.
    There is a picture on the Virginia Zoo's Facebook page with Pepper in the outdoor habitat.

18. BeardsleyZooFan

BeardsleyZooFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

19. blospz

Exhibit Renovation via the zoo's facebook page:

"Have you noticed some changes around the elephant habitat? We’re making improvements to the containment barrier! The steel I-beams are replacing the old wooden posts and the habitat is being expanded from 3,600 square feet to more than 4,400 square feet! “New construction projects, like the Animal Wellness Campus, get the most attention, but ongoing improvements to existing habitats are also an important part of our commitment to provide the highest level of animal care possible for our residents,” said Roger Sweeney, the Zoo’s assistant director. 'Hopefully these improvements will also pave the way for an opportunity to add a third elephant to our herd.' "

20. mweb08

mweb08 Well-Known Member

Should that be 36,000 to 44,000? 4,400 is nothing for an elephant exhibit and there's must be much larger than that.