Join our zoo community

Visibility versus Privacy

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Coquinguy, 13 May 2007.

1. Coquinguy

Coquinguy Well-Known Member

a good exhibit should of course allow the animals to escape the public gaze, but i wonder how many families, for example, who have just paid a load of money to see animals would consider not seeing an animal authentic. im playing devils advocate here a bit, but wouldnt most people say.... 'an empty exhibit'='a rip off'?

2. Zoo_Boy

Zoo_Boy Well-Known Member

tahts right, there has to be a balance, this exhibit is the ultimate immersion, in teh sense that in the wild you have no way oof predicting where an animal may be, or if you will see them, this is where zoos have to balance the immersion, with animal welfare (number 1 prority) and that of the visitor experience. my theory is its like a triagle- 3 points, keeper welfare, animal welfare and the visiotr experience.

most zoos balance this very well, and depending on the animal, ythere is a diff balnce to the 3 corners of the trianlge, meeting in differnt places along the sides

lol confusing lol, maybe we need a picture diagram drawer option here lol

3. Nigel

Nigel Well-Known Member

Glyns comment refers ;

Perhaps zoos should try to design more enclosures where the people can see the animals , but the animals cant see the people -- even if they can hear or smell them nearby .
    Whether by one way mirrors , peepholes , videocams , or any other inventive ways . They should also have signage that explains that as the animals are the residents in the zoo , and the people are only visiting , the animals are entitled to have "time away" from people whenever they wish .
    Hopefully that should solve the "empty enclosure" issue ?

4. ^Chris^

^Chris^ Well-Known Member

I think the 'hotspot' idea is quite good. Where animals have privacy, but are coaxed into the public view using things of particular interest to them. I think it might be (don't quote me) the Bronx Zoo in NY that has a heated rock in the tiger exhibit. Even though the tigers can go sit away from the people, they are persuaded to sit in view by this incentive.

Personally in a zoo full of animals, missing one species isn't always a major bummer unless it's one of the big ones. It took me about 5 visits to Chester to see the Bush Dogs!

5. Writhedhornbill

Writhedhornbill Well-Known Member

I've seen the bush dogs a lot. They are near the pedestrian entrance that I use on Members trips.

The heated rocks are also used for the Komodos at Chester so they can be seen more easily. Are there any other animals that this could apply for?

6. patrick

patrick Well-Known Member

pretty much anything in sunny manchester!! ;)