Join our zoo community

Grizzly and Wolf Discovery Center Visit Oct 2012

Discussion in 'United States' started by OrangePerson, 12 Nov 2012.

1. OrangePerson

OrangePerson Well-Known Member 15+ year member

We only stayed a short time (hour and half) because of needing to travel on.

There are a 9 bears that have either been orphaned or are 'nuisance' bears that have been getting too close to humans. The bears are kept individually inside (I asked about this, you can't see that accommodation). They have one enclosure and the bears are rotated into it at intervals through the day, singly, in pairs or threesomes, 2 or 3 times a day. Between the bears a member of staff spent ages hiding food all over so they come out and forage very actively. When they've exhausted the food search they may chill a bit. Loads of ravens also take advantage of the food. They go back inside where they are fed again (I was told). I'll put some enclosure pictures on although I tend to take animal pictures not enclosures.

There are two wolf packs, captive born. They are best seen from a lodge with huge windows onto both packs, they can see each other across the lodge and one of the packs was very interested in the others. My friend could see one pack from the hotel and heard them howling.

They also have a number of birds of prey which cannot be released into the wild for various reasons. I didn't spend a long time with these as I'm not keen on birds of prey in captivity.

There is an emphasis on teaching people how to behave with bears eg when hiking. There's a campsite showing the important things about camping where there may be bears. There is also a display of things that bears have destroyed or broken into, emphasising not leaving food around that they can get and the danger to the bears of them learning to associate humans and food. One of the bears is apparently a master of breaking into things and they test 'bear-proof' containers on him, if he can't get into in his time in the enclosure it is bear-proof.

According to the booklet they've completed design work on 'Banks of the Madison" a river otter/riparian habitat.

Last edited: 13 Nov 2012