Join our zoo community

Hamerton Zoo Park Visiting Hamerton

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by amaroc, 31 Dec 2018.

1. Zooreviewsuk

Zooreviewsuk Well-Known Member

Taking images in sports mode helps with moving objects and focusing around mesh.

2. hmb_zoo

hmb_zoo Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Thanks, I'll give that a try next time I'm out. Still learning!

3. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Administrator Staff Member 20+ year member

If possible, get the lens as close as you can to the mesh and centre the lens over one of the holes - you may be able to get most of the subject in clear focus, even if the surrounding is blurred by mesh.

This is more difficult with large SLR lenses, but easier with phones cameras and compact cameras!

NigeW likes this.
  4. NigeW

NigeW Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Good heavens no, not sports mode.

To minimise the mesh showing up you need to reduce your depth of field, that is the front to back distance that is in focus. So only your target object is focus and the mesh is so far out of focus it doesn't show.

Get as close to the mesh as you can. Set your aperture as wide as you can. Aperture Priorty auto is the easiest way to take control of this. The lower the f-number the wider the aperture the narrower the depth of field.

Take care your ISO is not too high. Sports mode will set it way too high.

Focus mode need only be on 'servo' if you have a moving subject, although you may find that moving to manual focus is needed to prevent autofocus from attempting to focus on the mesh rather than the subject. Again, being as close to the mesh as you can will minimise this.

So, close to the mesh + aperture priority auto, f-stop as low a number as possible, and manual focus if you need it.

And try to stay away from 'mode' type of auto :)

sooty mangabey likes this.
  5. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

The information of the photo says it is taken with the LUMIX Super Zoom Bridge Camera DMC-FZ2000, which apparently has something called Post Focus Simulation. Does that mean there might be an option to produce a shot with the civet in better focus?

6. hmb_zoo

littleRedPanda - my camera does have Post Focus as an option - it's a new camera for me and has soooooo many settings so it's just a question of practicing, experimenting and having to make multiple visits :);) to Hamerton - good job I've got a season pass eh, or perhaps I'll just move in with the Binturongs instead (I love these guys). I'll give it a go and see what I come up with. It also has a freeze animal action setting but I think that will ramp up the ISO particularly if I'm hoping to shoot the Jaguarundi as it's quite dark in it's enclosure.
    One problem I have is that the lens for the FZ2000 is 67mm so it's wide, so wide even that when you can get it up close to the mesh as its wider than the flipping mesh! I might take my very old Canon EOS 10D one day too - I bought the bridge to save lugging so much kit around plus it's image stabilisation is great even in low light. I find my compact camera works well with small mesh too but it's got a much smaller sensor and focusing it isn't so easy without a viewfinder.
    The other issue of course is the usual stand off fencing so you can't get up to the actual mesh - not happy to cheat and leg it over the barrier like I saw someone do the other day. They are there for a reason and not just to inconvenience photographers.

7. ajmcwhipsnade

ajmcwhipsnade Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I have a question about Hamerton. Is it a place simply where you can see unusual animals or does the place have quality enclosures? May try and visit sometime this year :)

8. pangolin12

pangolin12 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

I’d say most of not all of the enclosures are at least decent, with the outback aviary/wombats being among the best :)

9. bongorob

bongorob Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Slightly off topic but a week ago I looked at the information leaflet rack at Stafford Railway station. They had a lot of Hamerton Zoo leaflets. No Yorkshire Wildlife Park this time, they normally have them..

10. hmb_zoo

There are quite a few photos in Hamerton's media section that show some of the enclosures. I suppose it depends also on what you'd be comparing it with. It's a small zoo in comparison with many but I agree that some of the older enclosures are less generous than more recent additions. However the big cats have quite a bit more space than other smaller zoos I've visited. The Cheetahs are able to get up quite a bit of speed in their paddocks. They are also building new enclosures at the moment which look interesting, no doubt they'll post news on their website as and when.
    There's not as many glass viewing windows in some of the smaller older enclosures as some I've been to so more wire (harder to photo thru) fencing.
    As I've mentioned before it's not overly 'kiddified' (if that's a word) which I like also.
    All said and done though, personally I love it and go every couple if weeks as I live near and am never disappointed with my finds.

Last edited: 4 Jan 2019
    BeakerUK likes this.
  11. Indlovu

Indlovu Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I err towards the former. As has been stated, some of the enclosures - e.g. more recent ones, and for big cats - are pretty good, but in truth, a lot of the other enclosures are decidedly mediocre. Ultimately, it’s important to remember that, despite the ambition shown in the collection and the rate at which new species are being acquired, this remains a small, rural zoo.

12. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

If you have transport, then i'd definitely say it is worth the short trip up from Herts, if nothing else, just to stop yourself wondering about the zoo.

13. BeakerUK

BeakerUK Well-Known Member

I am gutted as I wasn't able to visit this week after all - work took too long, gargh. All the enclosures are very respectable (and as mentioned the Outback Aviary is pretty impressive, and the big cat enclosures satisfyingly spacious). Animal welfare seems to be a very high priority. I personally think it is an excellent zoo to visit (I would say that as it's my favourite) because there are many interesting animals to see and it is a most pleasant place in which to spend time.

14. ajmcwhipsnade

ajmcwhipsnade Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Thanks for all the feedback. I guess with a lot of smaller mammals on show the need for state of the art enclosures is not as high? Still I want to visit once it warms up lol! Wait until the spring.

15. sooty mangabey

sooty mangabey Well-Known Member

I’d disagree with this opinion. The enclosures are - mostly - functional rather than aesthetically appealing, but they are never anything other than good if judged for their primary purpose (housing animals).

BeakerUK and MagpieGoose like this.
  16. Zia

Zia Well-Known Member

While I very much enjoy Hamerton I'd disagree that all the enclosures are very respectable - the majority are functional and the newer enclosures are good - but the collection of enclosures on the right as you enter the park are in definite need of improvement. I know the Coati have moved on but I believe the enclosure is intended for re-use when I'd prefer to see it knocked down. Same goes for the Binturong enclosure in that area (and is there also a small lemur enclosure there too?) - they feel too small imo.

Indlovu likes this.
  17. Zooreviewsuk

Zooreviewsuk Well-Known Member

I would also agree with the above. Plus for me whilst I appreciate they are small cats, the RSC and Oncilla have tiny exhibits. But the Lemurs do have a very poor enclosure. I would also question how good the Gibbon enclosure which is opposite the birds is.
    I notice they plan to finally do some work which includes a new cafe, which in my opinion is long overdue as the current one is small and offers pretty poor selection of food which is mainly microwaved or toasted sandwiches.

TNT and Indlovu like this.