Join our zoo community

Monterey Bay Aquarium Visiting Monterey Bay Aquarium in June

Discussion in 'United States' started by zoo_enthusiast, 1 May 2019.

1. zoo_enthusiast

zoo_enthusiast Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

Hello, I am planning my first visit to Monterey Bay Aquarium in June, and would like to confirm my options for seeing albatross and red-footed booby. I know that both species are kept behind the scenes, but I also read here that sometimes they (or at least one of the albatrosses) are brought into a public space. On the Aquarium's website I saw the old blog post for 2013 stating that they do this every day at 1:30 PM. Can anyone here confirm that this is still happening? Also, is booby ever brought to the public or is it permanently off exhibit?

I'd appreciate any help or suggestions regarding my visit. I'll only be in Monterey area for 1 day (Friday June 7th), and would like to get the most out of it.

2. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

It might be best to email the aquarium so that you can get a firm answer.

The albatross encounter has been every day at 1.30pm for years now, but it isn't listed on their website under feedings and shows.

Apparently the booby isn't ready for public encounters yet (this article from January this year: A unique seabird trains to teach the public at the Monterey Bay Aquarium)

3. zoo_enthusiast

Thanks! I did email to the aquarium as well. Hopefully they will respond.

4. zoo_enthusiast

I did visit the aquarium in June, and saw the albatross encounter. Have posted some of my photos in the Aquarium's gallery (the lighting was not ideal, unfortunately, so my shots are only semi-decent).