Join our zoo community

Visiting SDZ - any best route?

Discussion in 'United States' started by amur leopard, 15 Dec 2019.

1. amur leopard

amur leopard Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I think I may be visiting the zoo in late August next year, so I'm planning ahead. Is there any particular way through the zoo that you would recommend? I may well be spending two days there and another day at the safari park to see the platypuses, but I would like to be as efficient as possible even so and cherish every moment.

So I wondered whether anyone here had a favourite itinerary around the zoo which made it more likely to see particular animals? I don't have any favourites in particular, I just want to see as much as possible.

2. TZDugong

TZDugong Well-Known Member 5+ year member

This was my route from my visit 2 years ago: I started by quickly walking through the Outback area to get to Africa Rocks (at the time brand-new). I then looped back through Sun Bear Forest and the bear grottoes before going through Elephant Odyssey. From EO I saw the Northern Frontier exhibit, then I walked down the hill of hoofstock enclosures and saw Panda Trek (which had Pandas at the time. I then back-tracked to the Bashor Bridge, where on the other side I had lunch at the terrific Albert’s restaurant, which I’d wholeheartedly recommend. I then wandered around in the Lost Forest section before emerging and seeing the reptile area then Children’s Zoo.

Looking back, there are a few changes I’d make to this route. I’d still see Africa Rocks first, but then I’d rush to see the Owens and Scripps aviaries as they are tremendous. I’d then go to the reptile area before seeing the rest of the list forest.

I had one day at the zoo, so obviously I had to prioritize certain things, although I did see almost everything. It’s doable in one day, but two is definitely recommended.

twilighter and amur leopard like this.
  3. amur leopard

Thank you!
    That is really helpful. Do you happen to know whether any of the shows are worth it?

4. TZDugong

Unfortunately not, I had only one day to see the whole zoo so I didn't have time to see any of the shows.

amur leopard likes this.
  5. The_UltimateBea

The_UltimateBea Well-Known Member

Go to the left of the flamingo pond and follow monkey trails until you hit the elevator. Take it down and follow tiger trail to hippo trail to the main road. Turn right and head into the leopard exhibit, then come out on the main road and follow it through Africa rocks. Go through the outback and head back to lost forest to see the primates and aviaries.

amur leopard likes this.
  6. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I'd suggest heading straight to the rare bird aviaries past the Polar Bear enclosure to ensure you get to see the Tongan Scrubfowl.

~Thylo

FunkyGibbon and amur leopard like this.
  7. StoppableSan

StoppableSan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Here's what I did, feel free to modify for more hours.

Entrance, flamingo lagoon closest to entrance, Monkey Trails, take the stairs down to Tiger River, go through Tiger River, go through Ituri Forest, go through (what was formerly) Panda Trek with the snow leopards/Amur leopards, red pandas/Mangshan pit vipers/takin, pass the "African Wetlands" exhibit (the one with the Pink-backed pelicans IIRC), go through Eagle Trail, Polar Bear Plunge, Elephant Odyssey (modifying so you go through Africa Rocks, I went through the kopje then passed it while it was still under construction), go through Africa Rocks in such a way so the penguins are the finale, go through the rest of Asian Passage with Sun Bear Forest and the other grottos, go through Urban Jungle and the Australian Outback exhibits, then go through the ape complexes via the Fern Canyon, fill in the Aviaries if you have time, the Reptile House/Reptile Walk (we didn't go as it was almost closing time, we had lunch at the Sabertooth Grill), and you should be fine. Again, feel free to modify as the Bashor Bridge is now a thing, but... yeah.

amur leopard likes this.
  8. amur leopard

Sadly, it seems that I won't be going to SDZ at all, or California for that matter :( :(

I'm sorry I wasting your time; I got ahead of myself, even though the trip was almost guaranteed, it just got cancelled like Prague and Berlin got cancelled last year. :(

I'm sorry for wasting your time.

9. fuzbal11

fuzbal11 Member 10+ year member

If it helps, I'm planning to visit sdz and the wildlife park this may and I definitely plan to revisit this thread in order to make the most of my trip.

amur leopard likes this.
  10. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

It is a pity that you won't make it to California next year.

This thread is still valuable though, as you will not be the last person who has stared at the SDZ map and try to come up with a plan.

amur leopard likes this.
  11. twilighter

twilighter Well-Known Member 10+ year member

First, thanks to @amur leopard for starting this thread and I hope is ok to ask some general SD questions.

I am planning to visit SD for 4 days between 14 and 18th of February.

Is it a 2 day Zoo, 1day SP, and 1day SeaWorld optimal schedule ?

Shall I buy 3 day San Diego Go + 1 day zoo entrance?

Do I need a whole day in SeaWorld, if not using the rollercoaster? Do I need to book the Orca show in advance?

When is the best time of the day to visit the Platypus?

I am hesitating, between Asian cart safari and Caravan Safari. Is the last worth the money?

Any different recommendations will be highly appreciated :)

Last edited: 15 Jan 2020
    amur leopard likes this.
  12. savethelephant

savethelephant Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I am privileged to actually be visiting the zoo for the first time tomorrow! Does anyone have any last minute amendments to @TZDugong’s (very helpful) plan, specifically regarding activity of animals in Lost Forest and the aviaries, and time constraints?
    Further, does anyone have any recommendations regarding best path for the safari Park, and whether the African tram is worth it?

Thank you so much in advance!!

twilighter and TZDugong like this.
  13. TZDugong

I think 2 days at the zoo is worth it, at a pinch you could see it it one day but with 2 days you can have a much more relaxing visit. The Safari Park can be done in around 5 hours.
    I haven't been to SW San Diego, but I've been to the one in Orlando and it's around a 3-4 hour visit, with rides it's a full day.
    Probably as soon as the zoo opens; there will be less crowds and the Platypus will presumabley be more active.
    The African Tram is definitely worth it. It's the only way to see the huge field exhibits which are incredible. For a route I'd say see the Platypus first, then the African Tram. After that the order doesn't really matter.

Have a great trip!

savethelephant and twilighter like this.
  14. twilighter

Thank you @TZDugong !
    I will keep the SeaWorld for the last day as a buffer. If something happens I can revisit the Safari park instead.

15. twilighter

I wish you great time tomorrow @savethelephant and hope you will share your thoughts after.

savethelephant likes this.