Join our zoo community

Visiting the USA's zoos

Discussion in 'United States' started by amur leopard, 6 Apr 2020.

1. Coelacanth18

Coelacanth18 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

@TZDugong might be on to something here. The Midwest is quite large, although 15 hours from Cincinnati to STL is likely an overestimate; I get less than 9 hours on Greyhound website, with one transfer. That does feel like a day's travel rather than a night's travel, though - unless you're an easy enough sleeper to grab your Z's on the bus.

Doing bus from Cincinnati to STL in a morning, then doing Arch and Forest Park is not feasible.

There's far more to do in LA than movie-related stuff (I personally think Hollywood is trashy, but to each their own). Depending on what your non-zoo interests are, there's definitely something I could recommend (the La Brea tar pits was a good suggestion, for instance). Also (and I'm sure this will surprise you) Beverly Hills is not very walkable :p

TZDugong likes this.
  2. TZDugong

TZDugong Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I find cars extremely boring, but the interesting parts of the museum have nothing to do with cars. Half of the museum is a giant hangar that has everything from 1960’s “futuristic” houses to whole trains to a whole fleet of presidential cars (along with a lot of other stuff). The other half is an outdoor village which has buildings Ford bought and transported to the museum. The Wright Brothers workshop, Edison’s buildings and a bunch of other places too. It’s an interesting place and worth a visit.

amur leopard likes this.
  3. TZDugong

You’re right about Cincinnati to SL, I got the times off of google maps where they recommended taking a train then a bus, which is probably slower. Still a long way to travel.

And I’m pretty sure nowhere in LA is walkable:p. The movie tours are pretty cool imo.

amur leopard likes this.
  4. amur leopard

amur leopard Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Ah yes, I forgot them. Maybe another day in DC. Or a day less in Philly. It's difficult, and it'll probably depend on whether my uncle is free in the time period in question, because he lives near Philly.

I think there is a bus to just outside the zoo. I'm hoping that I won't spend too long in the Field museum or Lincoln park zoo so that I have a full day and a bit's visit. Otherwise I could try combining the museum and the smaller zoo and that would make an entire day in the city, along with any small walks along the river after the flight or before the train to Detroit :)

Sorry about the wording, I will edit that soon. I will certainly try and fit in a visit to La Brea, that should be really interesting :)

5. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I personally think the Field Museum is a day on its own, I wouldn't combine it with anything.
    The Henry Ford Museum is amazing, it is absolutely worth a visit. While a large part of the museum is devoted to cars, they have a lot of other things.

amur leopard likes this.
  6. amur leopard

This sounds like a great place! I will make another change then. Field Museum in the morning of Day 5, then visit Chicago, then on Day 6 the train to Detroit and then a visit to the Henry Ford Museum.

EDIT: I reckon I will have visited Chicago enough through getting to the museums, zoos and aquariums as well as the day and a bit allocated to visiting the city, so I might spend almost all of Day 5 in the Field Museum.

TZDugong likes this.
  7. birdsandbats

I thought it was interesting that the Henry Ford Museum had a glass jar that supposedly contains the last breath of Thomas Edison! :D:eek::rolleyes:

They also have THE Rosa Parks bus - you can sit in the same seat she did.

Jungle Man and amur leopard like this.
  8. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I will only address the California trip, since that is the area I am most familiar with (I grew up in Los Angeles and have been to San Diego man times over last several years and to San Francisco area three times in the last few years).

One of the best ways to start a fight among American ZooChatters is to ask if Los Angeles Zoo is worth it. At the risk of being lambasted, in my opinion no, it is not. I also hate the Los Angeles area in general (and remember it's my home town). Even when I visit California I do whatever I can to avoid the area. Traffic is a nightmare and you might be better off cutting off across the desert (via Palmdale) and crossing the mountains via I-15 and taking that to San Diego Safari Park. If you have time make a detour en route to The Living Desert, which is in my top five zoos (and while not the same as Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum will give you a similar desert zoo if you don't make Arizona).

Of course there is A LOT to see and do in Los Angeles, which for starters has more museums than any city in the world (roughly 300). It depends on your interests, but be prepared for nightmare traffic and parking if you feel the need. The freeway signs are also confusing. For example near Griffith Park (where the zoo is) to get off 101 freeway and get on interstate 5 north it will say 5 Sacramento instead of 5 north. Well Sacramento is 400 miles away - how is that helpful? All of the L.A. basin is like that.

amur leopard likes this.
  9. TinoPup

TinoPup Well-Known Member 5+ year member

For Philly, and DC, I think it depends on what species you want to see. I love Philly, but they don't really have anything that you aren't going to see elsewhere, other than maybe the Guam birds. The Zoo360 is really neat but is completely dependent on the animals having access to use it, wanting to use it, and the weather being okay.

If you go to DC, get there early - grounds open at 8am, buildings at 9am. The zoo is practically empty the first two hours, and the animals are pretty active.

Make sure to get a zoo membership somewhere before you come! A few don't get you discounts elsewhere or only allow members from nearby zip codes (SDZ, DC, WCS come to mind), but if they're in the AZA reciprocity program like most are, you'd get 50% off at other places; free zoos will usually give you a percentage off of food or the gift shop. Philly's membership for one person is $60. Their entry fee is $24 and parking is $16, so going there twice a year with a membership already saves me $20. Since you won't be driving, membership would cost you $34 more than admission, which you'll easily make up for with the money it saves you at other zoos.

twilighter, amur leopard and TZDugong like this.
  10. TZDugong

While LA is obviously not an amazing zoo, I'd still say it deserves a visit. The species collection is really impressive, with some extreme rarities like Mountain Tapir and Uakari, and while the exhibitry isn't the greatest they're at least making substantial improvements (LAIR and Rainforest of the Americas).
    I'd totally agree with this. Living Desert is an underrated gem and definitely worth visiting.

amur leopard likes this.
  11. birdsandbats

I'm assuming to referring to Guam Rails and Kingfishers here? They are relatively common in zoos.

@amur leopard If you go to Shedd, make sure to buy your tickets ahead of time and get there as soon as the aquarium opens. Not doing this causes you to wait in a line that is usually at least an hour and a half. On especially busy days this line can get as long as FIVE HOURS!!!!

12. TinoPup

TinoPup Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I didn't realize so many had them now, I don't recall seeing them anywhere else and Philly was the main one running the breeding/survival project. Happy to hear that.

13. amur leopard

I have just realised I have seen a good proportion of the fossils and replicas in the La Brea tar pits museum because there was an exhibition at the Natural History Museum in London which focused on the Tar Pits and used many of the exhibits there, so I'm wondering whether it is still worth it to go.
    In addition, I can tell after a while researching etc., that Los Angeles is not really my kind of city. Not walkable, not really public transportable, sprawling etc. I guess I might just end up not going instead and then on the LA day go to Living Desert zoo. I just had a look at the species list, and I would probably go if it had nothing but its fox species :D

That sounds like a really good program! I've checked with my uncle about whether he'll be free the suggested dates but he says he's normally really busy with work that kind of period and can't afford to take even a single day off. So, I guess no Philly in the interest of saving time and money. I guess that means that in the case of trip 1 there isn't much use for the reciprocity programme, but I think it may come in useful in other trips, so thanks for mentioning that, I had no idea it existed!

As for the early opening, I'm always an early riser on zoo days, so I will be outside the gate a good ten minutes before opening time! :D

OK well I guess that is settled then. Living Desert it is!
    As for LA, well given the trip in question is quite a while away (around a decade actually :eek:) I'm not sure the uakaris and the Mountain tapirs will still be there, but we'll see - maybe they will hold on until then :)

I will absolutely do that. I might be getting also one of those city pass things which gives me free entry into the Field and Shedd as well as a few other places for like 90 dollars, which is a pretty good deal, and I think they are skip the line tickets too, so that should be good.

14. (Adsa)

(Adsa) Well-Known Member

I understand that philly would not be the most feasible trip. However the zoo could still be visited it does not require a direct trip to Philly its a bit outside the city. The zoo is very unusual with the Zoo360 program it adds an element to the zoo which allows you to view the zoo in a unique and entertaining way. Depending on how much you want to visit you can cut the zoo down to about 3 hours if you want to view it fully it takes about 6 hours. All of the exhibits except for PECO primate center are adequate and in some cases superb. The big cat habitats are some of the best I’ve seen in my little experience. Although the African area is not the biggest or most unique it makes up for it on presentation and welfare (except for the hippo exhibit). I would recommend you try to find a way to visit the zoo even if it is just that.

15. TZDugong

While I agree that the zoo is definitely worth a visit (I’d agree that Zoo360 is great, although I’d say the big cat and African area are average), the question is; could you spend your time better? In my opinion, more time spent in New York City and D.C would be a better usage of time, especially if you were just going to Philly to visit the zoo.

16. Arizona Docent

I love Philadelphia Zoo because of their excellent big cat area, but that is because I am a cat fanatic. If you are not then it may or may not be worth it. I should note that I used public transportation both times I visited.

17. (Adsa)

(Adsa) Well-Known Member

This is true but the zoo is very close to an Amtrak station which is within walking distance of the zoo

Arizona Docent likes this.
  18. amur leopard

Well, I wouldn't say I am a cat fanatic but the Felidae are my favourite family of all time, and I do certainly love big cats, hence my profile pic and name :). So maybe I won't miss it after all.

If it is near the Amtrak station, I could visit it, but it would require a bag drop in the station, which I hope they have. :)

19. Arizona Docent

Philadelphia's Big Cat Falls is definitely one of the best big cat complexes I have seen - and I have been to over 100 zoos in USA and Europe. Although I have seen a couple cats rotated to different exhibits, the lineup was: African lion, Amur tiger, jaguar, snow leopard, North American puma. They used to have Amur leopard in a separate area in an exhibit that was too small, but I think it is now moved to this nicer area. Big Cat Falls also has a nice indoor cat education building. I believe that smaller exhibit area has Canadian lynx and another small cat (changed since I was there, maybe fishing cat now? Perhaps even a third species?). There is also a decent cheetah exhibit in another area.

20. TZDugong

I don't think there's an indoor exhibit in Big Cat Falls anymore (maybe I missed it?). The collection is nice and I do like the overhead tunnels, but the exhibits aren't very large. For the Leopards it works alright but for the Lions and Tigers the exhibits feel a little cramped.