Join our zoo community

Visiting the USA's zoos

Discussion in 'United States' started by amur leopard, 6 Apr 2020.

1. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Hmm, I don't know how the indoor education building could not be there and I also don't know how anyone could miss it because everyone had to walk through it as I recall. It was the only way to continue the circular path between the first four exhibits and the final (tiger) exhibit. There was no bypass. If it is no longer there, I wonder what became of the space? Very interesting.

2. TZDugong

TZDugong Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I think I know which area you're talking about. If we're thinking about the same area, that part of the exhibit has been turned into a "theater" where a video about an African safari is displayed.

3. Arizona Docent

4. Arizona Docent

amur leopard likes this.
  5. TinoPup

TinoPup Well-Known Member 5+ year member

If you do come, let me know! We could meet up :)

Huh? It's not in Center City/South Philly, but it's definitely right in the city, just north of the Art Museum. There are few zoos that are more in a city.

I think the confusion between you and TZDugong is your post reads like you're saying the lynx is within the indoor area of Big Cat Falls, but you mean down by the otters, right? There's no longer any cats down there. It used to be bobcat and black-footed cat, but they both left when they added the 360 trails to that area. They've been turned into more sections for the otters and red pandas.
    Years ago, before Big Cat Falls, there was a building in the cat area with indoor viewing.

amur leopard likes this.
  6. Arizona Docent

I am talking specifically about Big Cat Falls, NOT about Carnivore Kingdom where lynx and other small cats are or were. To get from puma (which I once saw with snow leopard), the fourth habitat, to tiger, the fifth habitat, I had to walk through Base Camp.

AmbikaFan likes this.
  7. TinoPup

Yes, there's the long building in the back of BGF; there's stuff about palm oil, a short film, two photo ops with cut outs of cats in there. But no live cats.

8. amur leopard

amur leopard Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I would love to meet up! I will end up after these 5 trips going almost everywhere in the US with a large zoo, so I will try and meet up with as many as possible if they are free :)

I think the Amtrak station isn't too far away from the zoo, so providing there is a suitable bag drop I reckon I'll be able to go.

TinoPup likes this.
  9. Arizona Docent

Last night (after my last post) I read the chapter on Philadelphia Zoo in America's Top 100 Zoos & Aquariums. It says Carnivore Kingdom (where the small cats were) no longer exists and was torn down to make room for the tunnel/chute system? Is this correct?

snowleopard likes this.
  10. Coelacanth18

Coelacanth18 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

There is no Carnivore Kingdom on the current map, and when I visited in 2018 I'm pretty sure there was a lynx at Water's Edge with red panda, fossa, and giant otter. Do you know where the exhibit complex was?

11. Arizona Docent

Yes I looked at their current map and did not see it either. It may have become "Water Is Life" because I don't remember that section other than the stand-alone giant otter exhibit.

12. Coelacanth18

Coelacanth18 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

That would make sense, given the 3 non-aquatic small carnivores still living there. I also remember that exhibit being "new" when I visited; I think they added a second enclosure for the giant otters along with changing the Carnivore Kingdom complex. I found it to be a very strange renovation; only the otters fit in with the water conservation theme (which itself seemed forced) and I thought both otter enclosures were quite ugly and for different reasons.

13. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

Yes, that is correct. 'Water is Life' replaced 'Carnivore Kingdom'.

Arizona Docent and TinoPup like this.
  14. TinoPup

15. AmbikaFan

AmbikaFan Well-Known Member

Since when are you such an early riser?!;)

TinoPup likes this.
  16. AmbikaFan

**The Philadelphia Zoo is right in the city off the Schuylkill Expressway.

**Given how international relations have soured with China--and many think the sudden recall of the SDZ pandas was a direct result--it might be fun for you to see the giant pandas in DC. There are SO many Smithsonian museums, consider more than one day for them! The Air and Space Museum alone could absorb you for a day, and the Museum of Natural History with it's iconic mastadon is incredible. Plus many others devoted to western, Asian, and modern Art.

**Both times I went to SD, I got 7-day passes for unlimited trips to SDZ, SDSP, and SeaWorld, which saved a fortune. You could also mix and match in a day, going to the zoo during the day, say, and going to SeaWorld in the evening for the big show. We used 6 of the 7 days, so it was the best package deal I've ever gotten on a trip anywhere! I was a member of NZP and the Bronx Zoo, and this deal saved me way more than the reciprocal discounts would have.

**The Henry Ford Museum is really awesome, and it also includes Greenfield Village, a collection of 100 buildings covering almost the entire span of US history. There are costumed interpreters, vehicles from all the periods, farms and livestock, pasttimes and games, a even Thomas Edison's laboratory building (lol.moved from a spot about five miles from where I live). Well worth including!

17. TinoPup

New Year's day ;) BTW the bridge is now done, way ahead of schedule, so once places are open again I'll no longer have to base travel around lane closings!

@amur leopard you are welcome to leave it in my car if there isn't a bag drop.

amur leopard and AmbikaFan like this.
  18. amur leopard

I sure will go to the Smithsonian Museums - they seem really good and I wouldn't want to miss them. They also have an online catalogue (off-show and on-show), and they have taxidermies/skeletons of every single species of wild cat!
    It really sounds like an incredible place, and even if a fraction of those wild cat taxidermies are exhibited, I'm still going to absolutely head there.

I will also be going to the National zoo, even though, as for most Zoochatters, the appeal isn't exactly the pandas :D
    We seem to have a few more of them in Europe, I guess because China has more countries to strike deals with :D

I really want/need to go to SDZ twice, and SDZSP is certainly a one-day visit. However, I'm not the keenest on Seaworlds. I might still go if they are holding a rare dolphin species temporarily or something similar, but I'm not sure that kind of place was meant for me. I could, however, spend one more day at the zoo and then another one at the Safari park and get the 7-day pass, which would be lovely, but I'm not sure about costing...
    I'll see about it when I get there. However, as it is, there isn't a pass which really covers the 3 days in only two of the parks, so I may well end up visiting them more times.

Sounds really interesting, thanks for the extra info! :)

19. amur leopard

Thanks for the offer! Very kind of you :)
    I'm not sure about the logistics yet, but I will see when it gets a bit closer to the time if there happens not to be a bag drop. Are they common in American cities? Pretty much all stations in Europe have them and even relatively small British stations have them.

20. AmbikaFan

The pass is for 7 days because many people like myself needed two days at SDZ and SP each, plus some Sea World. I saw my only dugong ever there! We used the extra day to go to Mission Bay, ride the restored rollercoaster The Big Dipper, and chill out in the bluest water....