Join our zoo community

Visiting zoos in Denmark

Discussion in 'Denmark' started by Shirokuma, 23 Jan 2013.

1. Shirokuma

Shirokuma Well-Known Member

In May I'm going to the Eurovision Song Contest in Malmö and I'll be staying in Copenhagen for a week.

I'll vist Copenhagen and Odense zoos; is there anywhere else people recommend as an easy day trip from Copenhagen?

2. zooboy28

zooboy28 Well-Known Member

I don't know exactly where, but there is a reptile collection in Malmo itself (http://www.zoochat.com/gallery/malmoe-reptile-center), which is supposed to be quite good, although I haven't been there.

There is relatively little else worth visiting in Scania (south Sweden), except maybe Skanes Djurpark (http://www.zoochat.com/gallery/skanes-animal-park), which has a really good collection of northern European species, in pretty good enclosures, and you can get very close to some species (I patted Moose and Przewalski's Horse :cool:). It is near the town of Hoor, which is only about an hour from Copenhagen by train (direct, no changes needed, costs about 220DK), so would be an easy daytrip, but I don't know how you would reach it from the train station except by taxi.

As for other zoos in Denmark itself, I have no idea, having only visited Copenhagen Zoo. A word of advice for when you visit Copenhagen Zoo - don't miss the nocturnal house! I managed to and still have no idea how! :(

3. chizlit

chizlit Well-Known Member

Never mind about zoos in Denmark or Sweden, how on earth did you get tickets to the Eurobash?

4. Shirokuma

Haha! I always thought it would be next to impossible to get tickets but I'm going with some friends who I met at the Olympics. I joined OGAE which is the fan club and runs the ballot for the allocation of tickets for fans. So I'm going to both semis and the big final!

Thanks zooboy28 I was thinking about going to the Skåne wildlife park but wasn't sure how possible it would be without a car. I guess I'll contact them to find out how much a taxi costs.

5. zooboy28

zooboy28 Well-Known Member

I looked on their website (Skånes djurpark), and it says you can take a bus from the train station. The bus only takes 10 minutes to get there too. There is a link to a trip planner on the Djurpark website, which will tell you the bus times on the day you want to go.

6. chizlit

chizlit Well-Known Member

It could open up a whole new question as to wether zoo freaks are also secret Eurovision fans, but we'd best not go there!
    At the risk of going off topic the best I ever did was to go to the rehearsal when it was staged in Birmingham (the year Dana International won)

7. PAT

PAT Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Even on the other side of the world it has somewhat of a cult following (not just among zoo fans ;) ). Eurovision parties are held all over Australia and there is an unwritten law (punishable by social ostracism) if you reveal the winner before it's announced on our delayed broadcast.

8. Toddy

Toddy Well-Known Member

Well, Copenhagen Zoo is an obvious choice and Odense is definitely not to miss out on. Odense is easily reachable from Copenhagen. The trip takes only 1,5 hours by train. If you want there is a pretty good chance that I am at work that day and I would be happy to guide you for at least part of the day in Odense ZOO. Send me a PM if you are interested.

Also, the next obvious choice for a "zoo day out" would be the new The Blue Planet aquarium located in Copenhagen and opening on march 22.

9. Shirokuma

Thanks for that! I will be in touch closer to the time when I know what my plans will be.

10. ANyhuis

ANyhuis Well-Known Member

Toddy is a great guide! I know from experience.

11. Shirokuma

I think now I will only have time to go to Copenhagen Zoo and maybe the aquarium. It's going to be a very busy week!

12. Shirokuma

I'm going to Eurovision again this year and will be in Copenhagen for a week once more. Knowing that it will be a very full and tiring week I will probably just have a morning at Copenhagen Zoo, maybe Blue Planet and a full day (my midweek escape - last year I went to Skånes Djurpark) in Odense.

13. Al

Al Well-Known Member 15+ year member

What species are in Copenhagens nocturnal house? :)

14. ANyhuis

ANyhuis Well-Known Member

I know it's a bit further out, on the Danish mainland, but last year I went to the Givskud Zoo -- near Legoland. I was blown away! Givskud, in my opinion, is clearly Denmark's second-best zoo.

15. Hvedekorn

Hvedekorn Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Brown rat, Egyptian fruit bat, Moholi galago, and four-toed hedgehog. I don't know for sure if they still have white-eared opossums, but they probably do. According to Zootierliste, they acquired some three-banded armadillos last year, and I don't actually know where these are housed, but it may be in the nocturnal house as they had armadillos in there some years back (if not, the tropical house is my guess).

16. Al

Al Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Thanks Hvedekorn! I look forward to seeing it next month :)

17. Shirokuma

What was it that you liked so much about Givskud? And which do you think is the best?

I'll have a really hectic and exhausting week so I'm sure I won't make it on this trip but one day I plan on doing a zoo trip around Denmark.