Join our zoo community

Viverridae in Captivity (Civets, Genets, and Madagascan predators)

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by CMP, 9 Dec 2020.

1. CMP

CMP Well-Known Member

What is the state of Viverridae in Captivity? I am also including Madagascar predators because they are effectively in the same group when it comes to zoos. These are some of the least well known mammals, and I am very fascinated by them. Other than the Binturong, which at least in the US is fairly common, how are the other species both in North America and around the world? Should better breeding programs be developed, and are some of these species at risk of being extinct?

2. Kakapo

Kakapo Well-Known Member

One viverrid is the least liked wild animal for many, many zoochatters: the meerkat. Besides it, the remaining species of the family are rarer. Sometimes not very rare (binturong, banded mongoose, dwarf mongoose) but most of times very rare and neglected. None viverrid except the meerkat is a crowd-attraction so zoos are not very fond ond keeping them. Only some viverrids have breeding programs (for example fossa), and many endangered ones have not.

HungarianBison and CMP like this.
  3. Westcoastperson

Westcoastperson Well-Known Member

While we know meerkats are doing quite well. I do believe we will begin seeing more binturongs as zoos have been publicizing them a lot more in the past years. From some of the species searches I did, it appears common palm civets are in a good place. Small/Large Indian civets both have enough species for breeding programs. Pardine genet and small-spotted genet are both also doing well/

CMP likes this.
  4. CMP

CMP Well-Known Member

Mongoose are not technically viverridae, but Herpestidae, however they are the closest relatives so we can include them in this thread. I agree with the part about binturongs/bear cats, they have a certain "What it that?/ I have not seen that before" reaction from the public.
    Dwarf Mongoose are also around and breeding.

TinoPup and Westcoastperson like this.
  5. Westcoastperson

Also I believe people are very enticed by the name bearcat

CMP likes this.
  6. CMP

CMP Well-Known Member

Viverrids and relatives in European zoos (ZootierlisteHomepage)
    I listed the number of zoos that have each species

Malagasy Carnivores:

Spotted Fanaloka (2)
    Northern Narrow Striped Boky (9)
    Grandidier's Vontsira (2)
    Fossa (30)
    Eastern Ring Tailed Vontsira (8)

Mongoose:
    Yellow Mongoose (91)
    White Tailed Mongoose (1)
    Banded Mongoose (94)
    Meerkat (546)
    Marsh Mongoose (2)
    Egyptian Mongoose (8)
    Dwarf Mongoose (89)
    Common kusimanse (21)
    Slender Mongoose (7)

African Palm Civets:
    African Palm Civet (3)

Civets:
    Masked Palm Civet (10)
    Asian Palm Civet (44)
    Small Toothed Palm Civet (2)
    Small Indian Civet (1)
    Binturong (91)
    Banded Palm Civet (6)
    African Civet (12)

Rusty Spotted Genet (6)
    Pardine Genet (4)
    Haussa Genet (5)
    Common Genet (60)
    Cape Genet (20)

At least for mongoose, it seems very similar to the distribution of lemurs, with the meerkat being like ring tailed lemurs, completely dominating. How many institutions should a species be kept at to be considered a viable species? Of all of these, only a few seem viable in captivity, mostly the ones with more than 15 institutions housing them.

However, I feel like Europe probably has a better distribution than North America. Any information on the distribution of Viverrids in US? What species are here? I have yet to see any Genet or Civet species except for Binturong, despite visiting many of the large institutions. Is there a reason they are not very widespread, even though they are medium to small sized predators with often very colorful markings?

iluvwhales and JurassicMax like this.
  7. TinoPup

TinoPup Well-Known Member 5+ year member

In the US, at least 80 places have binturong. Beyond them, there's very few species. Large and small spotted genets combine for ~40 places. Only 6 are AZA - Brookfield, Chattanooga, Cincinnati, Erie, Lake Superior, and Memphis. I'm not sure if species are labelled correctly, and many are just called "genet". There's ~7 other genet and civet species with public institutions right now. All are at roadside or traveling, except for the banded palm civet, which is kept behind the scenes at Nashville and Brights.

Fossa is at ~25 zoos. Ring-tailed vontsira is at 1.

Unlike viverrids, mongoose species are almost never in roadside or traveling zoos. Meerkats are at ~80 places, all AZA/formerly AZA or ZAA. Dwarf mongoose are in ~15, banded in 7, and common cusimanse in ~2. One sanctuary might have small asian/javan mongoose.

CMP likes this.
  8. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Amusingly, a post mentioning only one viverrid species :p and four non-viverrids.

As a matter of fact, mongooses are closer kin to hyenas and euplerids than they are viverrids :) as the latter group is basal to all three of the former groups. The Nandinia (or African Palm Civet) is basal to all other feliform carnivores, including cats.

Your count in the above list of European public collections was slightly off; the following is closer to the mark (with corrections in bold):

Eupleridae:

Spotted Fanaloka (2)
    Northern Narrow Striped Boky (9)
    Grandidier's Vontsira (2)
    Fossa (30)
    Eastern Ring Tailed Vontsira (8)

Herpestidae:

Yellow Mongoose (91)
    White Tailed Mongoose (1)
    Banded Mongoose (92)
    Meerkat (546)
    Marsh Mongoose (2)
    Egyptian Mongoose (8)
    Dwarf Mongoose (88)
    Common kusimanse (21)
    Slender Mongoose (7)

Nandinidae:

African Palm Civet (3)

Viverridae:

Masked Palm Civet (10)
    Asian Palm Civet (43)
    Small Toothed Palm Civet (2)
    Small Indian Civet (1)
    Binturong (77)
    Banded Palm Civet (1)
    Owston's Palm Civet (5)
    African Civet (12)
    ---
    Rusty Spotted Genet (6)
    Pardine Genet (2)
    Feline Genet (2)
    Unknown Genet sp. (2)

Haussa Genet (5)
    Common Genet (57)
    Cape Genet (20)

9. Westcoastperson

Oh yeah, I guess this is kind of like your thing considering your footnote is "drinking tea and thinking of small carnivores". Do you happen to know anything about North American populations? I based my earlier post on statistics from Zoo Institutes that combined Europe, Asia, and North America but they can be unreliable.

CMP likes this.
  10. TeaLovingDave

As far as North American holdings go, you're much better off going with the knowledge of someone like @TinoPup or @ThylacineAlive who actually lives there and has been to collections on the continent methinks, and then if something which is held somewhere needs identifying I might be of more use :p the former has already posted a precis of what the main species displayed are, in any case.

11. CMP

CMP Well-Known Member

Oh well, not sure where I went wrong with the numbers. Thanks for correcting me. Also, I did look more into the Feliform lineage afterwards, and should we just include Hyenas in this thread? I mistakenly thought that Civets and African Palm Civets were sister families, however it looks like everything else we mentioned here is at least infraorder Viverroidea? I'm just going off wikipedia knowledge, please correct me :)

In that case, what is the status of Hyaenidae in captivity?
    I assume there are also many Viverroidea in captivity in Asia as well, what is the status there?
    Brookfield has Genets? Where/when? It is a shame that the US has such a lack of these very interesting creatures. I hope we get more of them, but it seems like AZA does not want to promote them?

12. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Onychorhynchus coronatus Well-Known Member

I believe that there are genets kept at least a couple of Mexican zoos.

I've seen one at Morelia zoo and from memory perhaps they are kept another one too.

CMP likes this.
  13. TeaLovingDave

Nothing too bad - you counted a few collections twice when they held multiple subspecies of a species, mistakenly lumped a species or two, and didn't realise two of the Pardine holdings on ZTL refer to animals which are identified as such but which are actually of unknown identity :)

Might as well :)

As far as European public collections go, two of the species are in terminal decline after having been rather more widespread a decade or so ago, whilst the other two are faring rather better:

Spotted: 53 public collections
    Striped: 44 public collections
    Brown: 1 public collection
    Aardwolf: 2 public collections

CMP likes this.
  14. PossumRoach

PossumRoach Well-Known Member 5+ year member

iirs higashiyama zoo has a small Indian civet. Idk if iy still is alive

CMP likes this.
  15. TinoPup

They have 2 as ambassadors.

In the US there's ~60 with spotted hyena, ~20 with striped, and 1 with aardwolf.

CMP likes this.
  16. CMP

CMP Well-Known Member

That explains why I have never seen them...
    I swear they need to make a 'animal encounters village' at every zoo (minus the encounters village part- just make it natural enclosures please) so it is harder to miss out on rare species that are ambassadors. I am still mad I missed out on San Diego Zoo's pangolin.

17. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

There is one genet permanently on exhibit now at Desert's Edge.

CMP likes this.
  18. TinoPup

I've been to 3 zoos with pangolin, none had exhibits for them :(

19. Dassie rat

Dassie rat Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I find that strange. The first time I went to Stuttgart Zoo, the Kiwi House had CCTV, so that I could see the kiwi in its indoor enclosure. I would have thought that this could be used with pangolins and other animals that are currently kept behind the scenes.

20. CMP

CMP Well-Known Member

Good to know, must have been fairly recent. At least Brookfield keeps a pangolin on display, but they apparently have 12 breeding behind scenes.