Join our zoo community

Viverridae in Captivity (Civets, Genets, and Madagascan predators)

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by CMP, 9 Dec 2020.

1. Westcoastperson

Westcoastperson Well-Known Member

When the children's zoo is done they will have one on exhibit

2. CMP

CMP Well-Known Member

This thread is getting slightly derailed, so let's take the conversation here: Rare Species Kept Behind The Scenese

3. Kakapo

Kakapo Well-Known Member

No, what is actually amusing, is your lack of knowledge. ALL species mentioned in this thread, except the hyenas, ARE VIVERRIDAE. Herpestidae DOESN'S EXIST, NEVER EXISTED AND NEVER WILL EXISTS. Same for "Eupleridae" and "Nandiniidae", that BELONGS to VIVERRIDAE family without possible discussion.
    End.

4. Ursus

Ursus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Idk man, the majority seems to agree on that it does exist..

TinoPup likes this.
  5. Dassie rat

Dassie rat Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The 'Illustrated Checklist of the Mammals of the World' lists the Families Nandiniidae, Prionodontidae, Viverridae, Herpestidae and Eupleriidae

TinoPup likes this.
  6. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

What is not amusing is the fact that you go out of the way to attack people who disagree with you on taxonomy. If you disagree that's fine, but you don't need to attack people and call them stupid.

TinoPup, Antoine, Ursus and 1 other person like this.
  7. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

Particularly as I think I the burden of proof lies with the one railing constantly against the accepted scientific consensus, rather than the one basing their argument on it...

TinoPup likes this.
  8. Westcoastperson

I suggest you do a quick google search. That should end the discussion pretty quick. They are all in the same suborder of Feliformia so this chat could be about Feliformia the cat-like creatures. But they are not all in viverridae. Although could you site where you got that because now I'm interested on how you (or the site you found it on) made that assumption.

TinoPup likes this.
  9. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

This thread may be relevant here: Taxonomy Discussion Thread

It's not the first time our strigopid friend has presented a controversial and outdated taxonomic thesis, accompanied by implications everyone else's ideas are crazy, and I don't think that's likely to change..!

TinoPup likes this.
  10. Westcoastperson

ok... wow.. that was quite interesting. After watching that @Kakapo I will ask again can I please get your sources and the literature they came from.

11. Tim May

Tim May Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

I think if you refer to most old-fashioned zoology book that cover civets, mongooses etc you'll find them classified as "Kakapo" describes. For example see:-
    A Hand-Book to the Carnivora: Part 1 Cats, Civets and Mungooses" (Richard Lydekker; Lloyd's Natural History Library; 1896)
    (NB Lydekker does use the spelling "mungoose" not "mongoose"; it's not a typing error on my part.)

This is actually a really nice book; very interesting and beautifully illustrated although, obviously, not a book to use for up-to-date taxonomy.

Westcoastperson likes this.
  12. Westcoastperson

any reason what the difference is between mongoose and mungoose and why it changed

13. Tim May

Tim May Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

I don't know much about the etymology of "mongoose" or why the spelling changed from "mungoose" but according to Wikipedia:

"The English word "mongoose" used to be spelled "mungoose" in the 18th and 19th centuries. The name is derived from names used in India for Herpestes species: muṅgūs or maṅgūs in classical Hindi; muṅgūsa in Marathi; mungisa inTelugu; mungi, mungisi and munguli in Kannada"

14. Dassie rat

Dassie rat Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The Latin name of the banded mongoose is Mungos mungo

15. CMP

CMP Well-Known Member

I did mention before that this thread could instead be about infraorder Viverroidea, which includes all non feline feliforms. (apart from African Palm Civets and Linsangs)

TeaLovingDave likes this.
  16. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

And given how seldom either group is kept in captivity, their omission is hardly problematic :) although I have been fortunate enough to see Nandinia in captivity (I prefer using their generic name as a common name, given how misleading their usual name is) and I know a few zoochatters - including at least one person posting in this thread - have seen *both* groups.

CMP likes this.
  17. CMP

CMP Well-Known Member

Yeah, I thought a bit about omitting them. Should we make another thread listing and discussing Felines in captivity? I feel like there have been similar threads before.

18. Great Argus

Great Argus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

If by Felines you are just referring to cats, that US thread is nearly complete thanks to @TinoPup.

TinoPup and CMP like this.
  19. CMP

CMP Well-Known Member

TinoPup likes this.
  20. TinoPup

TinoPup Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I'm going to work on updating it in January, as well; I've been a little lax in that, though I've been trying to keep my personal list updated (probably missed a few there, too).

CMP and Great Argus like this.