Join our zoo community

Weltvogelpark Walsrode Vogelpark ( birdpark ) Walsrode

Discussion in 'Germany' started by Writhedhornbill, 22 Apr 2007.

1. Pedro

Pedro Well-Known Member

Walsrode doesn't keep any Bulwer's pheasant anymore right now, but their collection is quite impressive and number of births equally amazing!
    They now have the first giant couas (Coua gigas) kept in zoo outside Madagascar and obtained their first breeding earlier this year. They're currently backstage but it is planned that they could be put on exhibit in 2008.
    I'm now one of Vogelpark Walsrode's photographer, I go there at least two or three times a year to work with the curator. I'll put some pictures online concerning the latest rare species arrived.
    Just to tell you that they recently put on exhibit a breeding group of Madagascar sacred ibis (Threskiornis bernieri) along with Madagascar pond-heron (Ardeola idae) and more rare species such as Dendrocygna guttata, Eudocimus albus and Anastomus oscitans.

2. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

pedro where are they now with their kagu are they still breeding? a few years ago there was talk of bringing in mammals to the collection is this still ongoing?

3. Pedro

Pedro Well-Known Member

They still breed their kagus of course, As far as I heard, they had 4 or 5 babies this year.
    Concerning mammals, they have Island flying foxes (Pteropus hypomelanus) roaming freely in the big indonesian house, cotton-top tamarins (Saguinus oedipus) and a pair of Ring-tailed mongooses (Galidia elegans).
    Probably new species coming soon but I have no info for now... I'll tell you when I'll be back there, next year, probably in april or may.

4. Toddy

Toddy Well-Known Member

Do they still have the tree kangaroos in the tropical house with the birds of paradise?

5. Writhedhornbill

Writhedhornbill Well-Known Member

Pedro, what do you know about their penelopides hornbills? I believe that they keep south sulawesi and Samar. When did these arrive, where did they from, have they bred?

Thanks

6. Swedish Zoo Fan

Swedish Zoo Fan Well-Known Member

Walsrode have tree kangaroos??
    Cool. I'm gonna go there soon.:)

7. Pedro

Pedro Well-Known Member

Oh yes, I forgot, they have two Goodfellow's tree kangaroos in the main Indonesian hall.
    I think Walsrode curently holds one Penelopides affinis samarensis (soon to be sent to a swiss breeder I think) and a pair of Penelopides panini, currently non visible. Both arrived in 2006 and did not breed.

8. Writhedhornbill

Thanks, Do you know anything about the BoPs there?

9. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

They only had Male Great B of P on show in September when i went,but thats not to say their aren`t others off show,although i did go behind the scences i didn`t see the off show tropical house as it was off limits.

10. jwer

jwer Well-Known Member 15+ year member

They only have one male greater BoP left, it's supposed to be the only one left in Europe. Behind the scenes they hold twelve-wired BoP, king BoP and lesser BoP. The person i know didn't know exact numbers but he'd estimate only a few except for the king BoP's who seem to be doing really well lately with quite a few offspring.

11. Pedro

Pedro Well-Known Member

Some BoP news from Walsrode...
    They're currently waiting for a new male King Bird-of-Paradise (Cicinnurus regius) and a new male twelve-wired bird-of-paradise (Seleucidis melanoleuca), both expected to arrive at the vogelpark at the end of the year.
    Both species laid eggs this year but not fertile (due to the fact that there's currently no adult males for both species... so no breeding).
    Things will probably change next year with the arrival of the two males I mentionned earlier.
    The old male Greater Bird-of-paradise is still on exhibit in the pheasantry, all the other species are kept backstage.
    They have great projects for next year, especially putting on exhibit some very rare species such as giant coua (Coua gigas) and many more!
    I'll write you a report after my visit there (scheduled in spring '08).

12. bongorob

bongorob Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Walsrode have announced the successful hatching of 5 kagu in 2007. They were all hand reared.

They also reared 30 roseate spoonbills and 50 scarlet ibis.

13. Pedro

Pedro Well-Known Member

They also had great success with cranes breeding this year (black-necked, white-necked, siberian, mandchurikan, brolga, sarus and probably monk too)

14. Writhedhornbill

What's a monk Crane?

15. Pygathrix

Pygathrix Well-Known Member 15+ year member

=hooded crane Grus monachus

16. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

... a crane that lives in a monastery, of course....

17. Writhedhornbill

Thanks. That's a very impressive list of Crane breedings, any Hornbill or BoP births?

18. Pedro

Pedro Well-Known Member

No BoP births for now... I think they'll receive new birds this year (twelve wired and king)

19. Writhedhornbill

Where from?

20. Pedro

Pedro Well-Known Member

I'm not sure yet, but I think from USA, Quatar and maybe Indonesia... I'll give you more news as soon as I know